Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1840 on: 8 May 2012, 05:58 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #1841 on: 8 May 2012, 06:08 pm »
Nice catch on Mind Bomb. I've been looking for it for a while, and a local record store is holding a copy for me.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1842 on: 9 May 2012, 11:27 pm »
Gene, I have 5 pm meeting and then a business dinner so I won't be able to catch you this time. Next trip is the first week of June.

Laura

Sorry we couldn't connect, I stopped in on way home and grabbed 2 things;

Grace for Drowning - Steve Wilson
Sophisticated Giant - Dexter Gordon

The Gordon offering is a white label promo from Columbia.

Miney

« Reply #1843 on: 10 May 2012, 05:03 pm »
Nice catch on Mind Bomb. I've been looking for it for a while, and a local record store is holding a copy for me.
Cool.  Not readily available; I'd been scouring too.   Love the :drums:

Miney

« Reply #1844 on: 10 May 2012, 05:04 pm »

roscoeiii

« Reply #1845 on: 10 May 2012, 05:06 pm »
Cool.  Not readily available; I'd been scouring too.   Love the :drums:

Yeah, I am psyched. I was playing around on the Dynamic Range Database, entering albums I'd recently bought and was peasantly surprised to see it score so high (best=20):

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.php?search_artist=&search_album=mind+bomb

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1847 on: 11 May 2012, 09:42 pm »
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=725489

That looks really interesting.  I guess that these are stereo recordings, although I saw that many are from 1957 when most of the Mercury releases were mono.  If you have had a chance to listen to them, let us know what you think of them. 
Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1848 on: 16 May 2012, 05:35 am »
I went out for a walk and found these at $3 each

Hey P'man.  I have that San Francisoc Ltd. lp.  Those East Bay ladies, to include Tracy Nelson, sound pretty good, huh?  Good arrangements, great sound.  The only digital recordings that come close to the dynamics on it are from Mapleshade, IME.  "Dafos" on Reference Recordings has to be included, also.  It's the Dead's Mickey Hart composing and blowing my mind.  Who knew?  I think both are 45rpm without looking.  Cheers

Kinger

« Reply #1849 on: 16 May 2012, 11:00 am »
Yes - Big Generator  Guessing most hard core Yes fans hate this album, but I've always loved it.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1850 on: 16 May 2012, 01:37 pm »
That looks really interesting.  I guess that these are stereo recordings, although I saw that many are from 1957 when most of the Mercury releases were mono.  If you have had a chance to listen to them, let us know what you think of them. 
Scott

They are all stereo and sound great.  I listened to Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture and Capricio Italien as well as Rachmaninov's Concerto for Piano no 2 in C minor with Janis on Piano.  Dorati conducted Minnesota Symphony Orchestra on both.  These live up to the Living Presence claim.  I really was immersed in the rich sound of great performances.  Definite goosebumps and shaking walls. :inlove:  BTW, the orchestra is so much better on this 1812 than the various Telarc versions with similar canon blasts.

This set is a must if you like classical music.  The Arkiv Music has the lowest price  -- $38 less than audiophile shops and $8 less than Amazon

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1851 on: 16 May 2012, 10:17 pm »
From Absolute Vinyl in Boulder CO and Twist & Shout Records in Denver CO

In Search of a Lost Chord is the Audiphile reissue pressed in Holland

Wayner

« Reply #1852 on: 16 May 2012, 10:21 pm »
Kinger, I love BIG GENERATOR!!!!!

I was in the local antique store today, looked up and there was an original MOFI of Supertramp, Crime of the Century MFSL-1-005. It is in near mint condition. I shelled out $12 for it. It brought tears to my eyes.

This is one of the only LPs I've ever heard that the MOFI version was so drastically better then the original A&M version(s). I have many versions, and do not buy the newest, it sucks.

Happy as a lark,

Wayner  :D

Kinger

« Reply #1853 on: 16 May 2012, 10:43 pm »
Glad to hear I'm not the only Big Generator fan.  As I mentioned, I love that album as well as 90125, but it seems that of those 2 90125 is the one that always gets more love from folks.  I would love to find a nice clean copy of 90125 as every time I find it used in the dollar bin (quite frequently), the condition of the vinyl isn't so hot.

Sweet pick up on the 10000 Maniacs vinyl lady.  In my HS days I worked in a music store and that album got a ton of play from me while I was working.  Never ended up purchasing the CD for some reason, but I think the vinyl is on my list to pick up.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1854 on: 17 May 2012, 05:05 pm »
Stopped off at Record Connection in Lancaster on way home from conference and picked up some things, starting with King Crimson.

King Crimson and a reserve Dan;

You can stop here Laura!  :wink:

Stan Kenton;

And some Dexter Gordon plus other jazz titles;

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1855 on: 17 May 2012, 05:27 pm »
Sweet pick up on the 10000 Maniacs vinyl lady.  In my HS days I worked in a music store and that album got a ton of play from me while I was working.  Never ended up purchasing the CD for some reason, but I think the vinyl is on my list to pick up.

This has always been my favorite 10,000 Maniacs album. I'm glad it is finally out in vinyl.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1856 on: 17 May 2012, 05:27 pm »
Stopped off at Record Connection in Lancaster on way home from conference and picked up some things, starting with King Crimson.

King Crimson and a reserve Dan;

You can stop here Laura!  :wink:

Gene, you know me well :lol:

decal

« Reply #1857 on: 17 May 2012, 10:44 pm »
A little late but here's my haul from RSD.........

roscoeiii

« Reply #1858 on: 20 May 2012, 03:17 am »
Been a crazy couple weeks, which means that the Hendrix Winterland 8LP box set was just put on a shelf and never listened to after its arrival. Until now. Wow. What a fabulous way to spend a Saturday night.

And you can get these 8LPs (!!) of Hendrix for $37.31 + shipping. Under "Used" on the webpage, there is an "Amazon Warehouse" seller with "Like New" sets. Got mine it was still in shrink, with a tear in the shrink. Great set for far more than they are charging. Fabulous stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Winterland-1CD-Box-Amazon-com-Exclusive/dp/B0055PL5KY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337483515&sr=8-8

orthobiz

« Reply #1859 on: 24 May 2012, 02:17 am »
Just ordered Ram McCartney double vinyl from Amazon US. Ordered Ram Mono vinyl from Amazon France. Will have to report back...

Paul