Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1740 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:24 am »
Chocolate Watch Band? I dunno, ask me in a week. Maybe it was my imagination, but I thought I saw a bunch of pumpkin seeds spreading the word on this one. I love psychedelia and I have a feeling this stuff is on the garage side of that genre. In the meantime, I'll bet you'll love Jellyfish. The two albums that were reissued recently are terrific (thanks Laura!). I found colored vinyl on Amazon, I think subsequent ones are gonna be black plastic.

Paul

roscoeiii

« Reply #1741 on: 31 Mar 2012, 03:42 am »
Paul,

Lemme know how you like the Grimes on vinyl. Missed her sold out show here but sounds like the live show wasn't great (partly due to a doofus on the soundboard). Not as good as the album it seems.

PierreB

« Reply #1742 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:02 pm »

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1743 on: 31 Mar 2012, 05:08 pm »
Chocolate Watch Band? I dunno, ask me in a week. Maybe it was my imagination, but I thought I saw a bunch of pumpkin seeds spreading the word on this one. Yeah it's a Pumpkin thing.  I love psychedelia and I have a feeling this stuff is on the garage side of that genre. So true Paul. In the meantime, I'll bet you'll love Jellyfish. The two albums that were reissued recently are terrific (thanks Laura!). I found colored vinyl on Amazon, I think subsequent ones are gonna be black plastic.

Paul

I like them better than the Standells  :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #1744 on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:38 am »

I have this and the original, am a big Little Feat fan but never listened to either. I have a thing about live records with the classic anti-live bias that the group 1. is finishing a label contract and bang out a live album to fulfill it 2. are on drugs and can't make it to the studio 3. have exhausted all their song writing capabilities and have nothing else to offer.

Well, boy, was I ever wrong. This audiophile recording is fantastic and is right up there with their studio work. Now mind you, I have the older Original Master Recording and I'm not about to buy the new one to have a three way shootout! :wink:

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #1745 on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:39 am »
Paul,

Lemme know how you like the Grimes on vinyl. Missed her sold out show here but sounds like the live show wasn't great (partly due to a doofus on the soundboard). Not as good as the album it seems.

Listened to one side last night. Record sounds pretty good, a tad bit noisy but flat vinyl. If you like The Knife, you are apt to love this!

Paul

J Fallows

• melomane
« Reply #1746 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:37 pm »

I've got a demo copy of this and it is superb. Even people who don't like rock and don't like live recordings are impressed.

Needless to say it's one of my favorites.
Here's to Lowell George.

roscoeiii

« Reply #1747 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:51 pm »
Just picked up Little Feat's Dixie Chicken on MoFi for $10. My first LP of theirs. Really dug it.

Also got Pixies' Surfer Rosa for $10 as well. A good day in the record store.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1748 on: 1 Apr 2012, 03:08 pm »
Just picked up Little Feat's Dixie Chicken on MoFi for $10. My first LP of theirs. Really dug it.

I have both the original and the MoFi and the original is better. MoFi rounded off the highs. I was with 3 other Lttle Feat fans listening on a great system and we compared them and all 3 of us thought the original was better and more true to what took place in the recording studio. Try to find a clean copy of the original, you won't be disappointed.

Laura

roscoeiii

« Reply #1749 on: 1 Apr 2012, 03:23 pm »
Yeah, I'd read that about the MoFi as well. But hey, a $10 MoFi was a good bargain, good risk.

PierreB

« Reply #1750 on: 1 Apr 2012, 03:56 pm »
I have both the original and the MoFi and the original is better. MoFi rounded off the highs. I was with 3 other Lttle Feat fans listening on a great system and we compared them and all 3 of us thought the original was better and more true to what took place in the recording studio. Try to find a clean copy of the original, you won't be disappointed.

Laura

Interesting, I will try to find an original copy and compare it to my MoFi Gain 2.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1751 on: 1 Apr 2012, 04:42 pm »
Yeah, I'd read that about the MoFi as well. But hey, a $10 MoFi was a good bargain, good risk.

No question about that.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1752 on: 1 Apr 2012, 09:06 pm »
My wife had a meeting in San Marcos, TX this weekend and, having friends there, I decided to tag along. At dinner Fri, I learn that there is a vinyl store in town, and I've got most of a day to kill Sat., AND I find out that they are closing up after 35 yrs this weekend.
I came away with too many to mention, many at $.50 (but some $20),  all NM- Jazz goes to College, Red Hot and Cool, Jazz goes to Jr. College, Jazz Impressions of the USA, and a mint Angel Eyes.  This week is all Dave Brubeck, all the time! :bounce: :bounce:  I am one excited fella!

I also picked up "The Jazz Piano", a live recording of Ellington, Earl Hines, Billy Taylor, Mary Lou Williams, Willie "the Lion" Smith, with a signature and date of the concert that simply says "Jazz Show! 7/7/66" with a stylized W.  So it's signed by either Williams or Willie.  Anyone have this LP? I need to learn more about it.
Ah yes, also Sviatoslav Richter on Phillips with the Liszt concertos for $.50 ... one I have been looking for.

Scott

S Clark

« Reply #1753 on: 1 Apr 2012, 09:18 pm »
I also picked up "The Jazz Piano", a live recording of Ellington, Earl Hines, Billy Taylor, Mary Lou Williams, Willie "the Lion" Smith, with a signature and date of the concert that simply says "Jazz Show! 7/7/66" with a stylized W.  So it's signed by either Williams or Willie.  Anyone have this LP? I need to learn more about it.

OMG!! I'm as excited as teenybopper on the way to the prom.  It's not a "W", it's a really stylized "D"... as in the the Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the same D.

S Clark

« Reply #1754 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm »
Here it is.  Also, after looking at dozens of the Duke's autographs online, the J also matches one he wrote to "Joe" somebody.  Also, the H is a match.  I'd say it's about 95% likely authentic.

orthobiz

« Reply #1755 on: 2 Apr 2012, 01:05 am »

Laura

Wow, I have both. Will have to check out my original. I know I never, ever played it.

Paul

Jlappy

« Reply #1756 on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:25 am »

In Athens Ohio - checked out Haffa's Records   - sweet place to fill in some holes/pick up better copies for me collection at reasonable prices.   :rock:

Deep Purple – In Rock
Edgar Winter's White Trash – Edgar Winter's White Trash
The Electric Light Orchestra – ELO 2
The Electric Light Orchestra – On The Third Day
Ike & Tina Turner – Workin' Together
Kate Bush – Never For Ever
Journey – Journey
Uriah Heep – Demons And Wizards  (better copy  :D)

decal

« Reply #1757 on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:59 am »
Picked these up on e-bay ......

Chambers Brothers......Greatest Hits
Neville Brothers...........Neville-ization
Ozark Mt. Dare Devils...Footloose Music In The Air
Bachman Turner OD.....II
Rolling Stones..............More Hot Rocks
Robin Trower................In City Dreams

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1758 on: 5 Apr 2012, 10:19 am »
Picked these up on e-bay ......

Chambers Brothers......Greatest Hits
Neville Brothers...........Neville-ization
Ozark Mt. Dare Devils...Footloose Music In The Air
Bachman Turner OD.....II
Rolling Stones..............More Hot Rocks
Robin Trower................In City Dreams

I do love Trower but not so much after 1983's Back It Up. Dave Bronze did the vocals on the next
2 and Davey Pattison on ''Take What You Need''. These albums didn't have the same feel without
James Dewar. The last album I bought by Trower was ''20th Century Blues'' which I liked a little
better (on CD) with Livingstone Brown singing lead. I stopped buying there.

Delta Wave

« Reply #1759 on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:18 pm »
I just got the Genesis 1970-1975 Boxed Set for my bday... they sound quite nice!