Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

MaxCast

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1660 on: 11 Mar 2012, 02:57 am »
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here:

You see that?  The one in the upper left?  Yeah, you know it...Barry Manilow Live, Baby!
I confess I am probably the biggest Manilow fan here but what the hell, it's a good story.

It started with a monthly trip to Good Will to look for vinyl.  I go back to the few bins of vinyl and flip through the usual Christmas, country, time life multi-discs.  All of a sudden CJ (Trans Am here at AC) pipes up with "here's a Barry Manilow one."  I spin around with excitement and YES! It's a Barry Manilow Live album.  A album from my youth (hell, it may have been mine from the past).  I had this double LP and I think I had the 8 track because after listening to it I sense the fade out, click, fade in during certain songs that the 8track used to do.

Ok, don't get the idea that I listen to Manilow every month.  It's more like every day...just kidding  :wink:  He reappeared when I ripped my CD collection to hard disc.  I ripped a greatest hits disc but it didn't have the VSM or Jump Shout Boggie medley that I reminisced about.  Hey, my kids drink Dr. Pepper and CJ loves Pepsi, I never had State Farm Ins. but I like extra crispy KFC.

So, after a few songs and a couple of days the kids ask for more Barry  :o  Probably because I've been ripping chorus lines as Manilow songs bloom in my head.  :singing:  he he he.  I go get the collection issue I haven't ripped yet hoping to find the VSM.  No, not on this 4 CD set.  But wait, there is something better.  A VHS tape I have never watched.  circa 1992.  Yeah, we're watching this TONIGHT!  Too bad CJ is ripping up a 4 wheeler at a friends house...he'll have to watch it on the second viewing, yeah tomorrow  :banana piano:

I doubt I would have ever have bought this live CD.  But for 2 dolla, no halla it was a no brainer.  The albums are in pretty good shape too.  Pretty quiet and clean through out but there is about one minuete of pops as you work through a scratch.

I don't expect any responses to this post as I know fellow fans will prefer to remain silent.  However, this double LP did bring two adolescents another step closer to being a music lover, audiophile and possibly...vinyl lovers.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1661 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:22 am »
Ok, I'm going out on a limb here:

You see that?  The one in the upper left?  Yeah, you know it...Barry Manilow Live, Baby!
I confess I am probably the biggest Manilow fan here but what the hell, it's a good story.

It started with a monthly trip to Good Will to look for vinyl.  I go back to the few bins of vinyl and flip through the usual Christmas, country, time life multi-discs.  All of a sudden CJ (Trans Am here at AC) pipes up with "here's a Barry Manilow one."  I spin around with excitement and YES! It's a Barry Manilow Live album.  A album from my youth (hell, it may have been mine from the past).  I had this double LP and I think I had the 8 track because after listening to it I sense the fade out, click, fade in during certain songs that the 8track used to do.

Ok, don't get the idea that I listen to Manilow every month.  It's more like every day...just kidding  :wink:  He reappeared when I ripped my CD collection to hard disc.  I ripped a greatest hits disc but it didn't have the VSM or Jump Shout Boggie medley that I reminisced about.  Hey, my kids drink Dr. Pepper and CJ loves Pepsi, I never had State Farm Ins. but I like extra crispy KFC.

So, after a few songs and a couple of days the kids ask for more Barry  :o  Probably because I've been ripping chorus lines as Manilow songs bloom in my head.  :singing:  he he he.  I go get the collection issue I haven't ripped yet hoping to find the VSM.  No, not on this 4 CD set.  But wait, there is something better.  A VHS tape I have never watched.  circa 1992.  Yeah, we're watching this TONIGHT!  Too bad CJ is ripping up a 4 wheeler at a friends house...he'll have to watch it on the second viewing, yeah tomorrow  :banana piano:

I doubt I would have ever have bought this live CD.  But for 2 dolla, no halla it was a no brainer.  The albums are in pretty good shape too.  Pretty quiet and clean through out but there is about one minuete of pops as you work through a scratch.

I don't expect any responses to this post as I know fellow fans will prefer to remain silent.  However, this double LP did bring two adolescents another step closer to being a music lover, audiophile and possibly...vinyl lovers.

Man whatever makes happy no matter what others may or may not think. I'm sure I play LPs that make some A/C members cringe.

P-man

AgentOrange

« Reply #1662 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:44 am »
Don't see a problem there.  The guy is excellent.

My newest LP is Phantom of the Opera.
No need for me to put up a review, as it has been done many times.

mdfoy

« Reply #1663 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:09 am »
I am committed to getting a turntable this summer, and in the quest for viny, I ran in to this. The wife and I love this CD, and hope to love the album as much.

decal

« Reply #1664 on: 12 Mar 2012, 08:32 am »
The Band – Cahoots 
Alice Cooper – Love It To Death 
Little Feat – Dixie Chicken
Little Feat – Feats Don’t Fail Me Now   
Steve Miller Band – The Joker 
ZZ Top – Tres Hombres 

bside123

« Reply #1665 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm »
Spending a week in Austin, Texas, got lucky and discovered these unclaimed gems in the .99 Bin at Waterloo Records. The Crowded House and the B-52's LPs came from a little vintage shop. I'm happy with this hall :thumb: :

1.   Alice Stuart And Snake “Believing” 1972 Fantasy Records
2.   Alvin Lee Band “Free Fall” 1990 Atlantic Records Promo Copy
3.   B-52s (Debut Album) 1979 Warner Bros.
4.   Billy Vera “With Pen In Hand” 1968 Atlantic Records
5.   Bliss Band “Dinner With Raoul” 1978 Columbia Records
6.   Bonnie Koloc “Close-Up” 1976 Epic Records Promo
7.   Crowded House “Crowded House” 1986 Capitol Records
8.   Dave Mason & Mama Cass 1971 Blue Thumb Records
9.   Donavan “Fairytale” 1965 Hickory Records
10.   Ike & Tina Turner And The Ikettes “Come Together” 1970 Liberty Records
11.   Jesse Colin Young “Light Shine” 1974 Warner Bros.
12.   John Mayall “Empty Rooms” 1969 Polydor Records
13.   Klaatu 1976 Capitol Records
14.   Lone Justice 1985 Geffen Records
15.   Marti Jones “Used Guitars” 1988 A&M Records
16.   New Riders Of The Purple Sage “The Best Of…” 1976 Columbia Records
17.   Paul Revere & The Raiders “Greatest Hits” 1967 Columbia Mono w/ Color Posters
18.   Renaissance “Ashes Are Burning” 1973 Sovereign/Capitol Records
19.   Renaissance “Novella” 1977 Sire Records
20.   Renaissance “Turn Of The Cards” 1974 Sire Records
21.   Thunder Rocks “On The Rampage” 1996 Get Hip Records (re-released from 1959), Red Vinyl
22.   Tom Rush “Ladies Love Outlaws” 1974 Columbia Records
23.   Uriah Heep “Demons And Wizards” 1972 Mercury Records
24.   Uriah Heep “The Musician’s Birthday” 1972 Mercury Records
25.   Wishbone Ash “Wishbone Four” 1973 MCA Records

pumpkinman

« Reply #1666 on: 14 Mar 2012, 12:22 am »
Spending a week in Austin, Texas, got lucky and discovered these unclaimed gems in the .99 Bin at Waterloo Records. The Crowded House and the B-52's LPs came from a little vintage shop. I'm happy with this hall :thumb: :

1.   Alice Stuart And Snake “Believing” 1972 Fantasy Records
2.   Alvin Lee Band “Free Fall” 1990 Atlantic Records Promo Copy
3.   B-52s (Debut Album) 1979 Warner Bros.
4.   Billy Vera “With Pen In Hand” 1968 Atlantic Records
5.   Bliss Band “Dinner With Raoul” 1978 Columbia Records
6.   Bonnie Koloc “Close-Up” 1976 Epic Records Promo
7.   Crowded House “Crowded House” 1986 Capitol Records
8.   Dave Mason & Mama Cass 1971 Blue Thumb Records
9.   Donavan “Fairytale” 1965 Hickory Records
10.   Ike & Tina Turner And The Ikettes “Come Together” 1970 Liberty Records
11.   Jesse Colin Young “Light Shine” 1974 Warner Bros.
12.   John Mayall “Empty Rooms” 1969 Polydor Records
13.   Klaatu 1976 Capitol Records
14.   Lone Justice 1985 Geffen Records
15.   Marti Jones “Used Guitars” 1988 A&M Records
16.   New Riders Of The Purple Sage “The Best Of…” 1976 Columbia Records
17.   Paul Revere & The Raiders “Greatest Hits” 1967 Columbia Mono w/ Color Posters
18.   Renaissance “Ashes Are Burning” 1973 Sovereign/Capitol Records
19.   Renaissance “Novella” 1977 Sire Records
20.   Renaissance “Turn Of The Cards” 1974 Sire Records
21.   Thunder Rocks “On The Rampage” 1996 Get Hip Records (re-released from 1959), Red Vinyl
22.   Tom Rush “Ladies Love Outlaws” 1974 Columbia Records
23.   Uriah Heep “Demons And Wizards” 1972 Mercury Records
24.   Uriah Heep “The Musician’s Birthday” 1972 Mercury Records
25.   Wishbone Ash “Wishbone Four” 1973 MCA Records

What can we all say but WOW!!  Very nice haul Din

Jlappy

« Reply #1667 on: 14 Mar 2012, 01:08 am »
What can we all say but WOW!!  Very nice haul Din

bside,

I need to 2nd Bill!

#'s 23.   Uriah Heep “Demons And Wizards” 1972 Mercury Records   :thumb:
      24.   Uriah Heep “The Musician’s Birthday” 1972 Mercury Records   :thumb:

two outstanding Heep lps!

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1668 on: 14 Mar 2012, 03:22 am »

Kinger

« Reply #1669 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:44 am »
Definitely looking forward to comments on that Decemberists Live LP vinyl_lady :)

pumpkinman

« Reply #1670 on: 14 Mar 2012, 06:48 pm »
No work today damn it's been so slow

So dad picked me up and off to Allentown we went.
Which you all know what that means. Yes, Double Decker Records.

1. Billy Presents...Psychedelic Unknows Vol. 9      $5
2. Thijs Van Leer/Introspection 2                        $5   Dutch LP
3. Denny Laine ~ Japanese Tears                       $3
4. Herman's Hermits ~ Hold On   2 copies sealed @$1 each one is spoken for
5. The Motors ~ Self Titled                                 $1 sealed
6. Ironhorse ~ Everything Is Grey                      $1 sealed
7. Hurricane Smith ~ Self Titled                          $1
8. Every Mothers' son ~ Self Titled                      $1   This one is spoken for
9. Pete Towmsend / Ronnie Laine ~ Rough Mix UK$1 This replaces the UK copy I mailed away
10.Neil Young & Crazy Horse ~ Reactor               $1 sealed
11. Babe Ruth ~ Stealin' Home                           $1
12. Micheal Nesmith ~ From A Radio To The Photon Wing     $1

DaveyW

« Reply #1671 on: 14 Mar 2012, 07:56 pm »

That is the best haul I've seen here Din  :thumb:
Fantastic albums at rock bottom prices

Now how can I wangle a trip to Austin  :scratch:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1672 on: 14 Mar 2012, 08:19 pm »
Definitely looking forward to comments on that Decemberists Live LP vinyl_lady :)

I'm looking forward to cleaning it and listening myself. It might be tough to find time between now and April 2 with March Madness underway, although I've been known to turn off the announcers and listen to music while watching the game.

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #1673 on: 15 Mar 2012, 04:49 pm »
From Tracks in Wax, Phoenix AZ

BTW, that second Crack The Sky album is great. If you don't like it, then you're not gonna like them!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1674 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:01 pm »
BTW, that second Crack The Sky album is great. If you don't like it, then you're not gonna like them!

Paul

I like Crack the Sky. Thanks to your recommendation, I now own three of their albums. :D

Laura

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #1675 on: 15 Mar 2012, 08:20 pm »
I like Crack the Sky. Thanks to your recommendation, I now own three of their albums. :D

Laura

Sleep is absolutely my favorite CTS song.  :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #1676 on: 16 Mar 2012, 01:39 am »

Sleep is absolutely my favorite CTS song.  :thumb:

Big news Thanksgiving was Crack doing Sleep live. Apparently not on the typical playlist. They had everybody strumming acoustic guitars, including Witkowski's son, four in total. Great version and in typical Crack live style, there are little changes and nuances that make it interesting and different than the version you know. Better!

I'm gonna try to go this summer again. They have a rabid fan base, nice people that made me feel like I was part of a secret club. Highly recommended.

Paul

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #1677 on: 16 Mar 2012, 03:45 am »
well...  for the price of 3 gallons of gas, and an hour's drive each way, the result was ~425 albums, well cared for.  mostly rock, w/some folk and jazz thrown in to the mix.  i haven't even begun to sort thru it all, but check out the donor's post for an idea:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104451.0

yay!   :thumb:

doug s.

DaveyW

« Reply #1678 on: 17 Mar 2012, 09:48 am »
As recommended by Jim Goulding, a NM (looks unplayed) Love Devotion Surrender arrived today along with a few other goodies as part of another great little DISCOGS order  :D

There's one in there that I know Paul will appreciate  :wink:

Need to pop out now - listening will have to wait a little bit.

Right that's it - No more vinyl buying for me for at least a month  :cry:

orthobiz

« Reply #1679 on: 17 Mar 2012, 11:32 am »
Davey,

Of course I have that "import" version of Wizzard's Brew! You just KNOW you're a Roy Wood fad if you love "You Can Dance Your Rock and Roll" and even "A Jolly Cup of Tea."

However, I may draw the line at Main Street...I think it's CD only and I have a CD copy, not the original CD. I mean, what kinda fan AM I???

Paul