« Reply #1323 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:05 pm »
Today at DD's

1. The Nice featuring Davey O'List 20th Anniversary
2. The Best Of Jennifer Warnes
3. The Sandpipers ~ Softly
4. Rare Earth ~ Willie Remembers
5. The New Seekers ~ Circles
6. The Best Of Manfred Mann
7. Future Sounds Of Jazz-Vol. 6  3 LPs ?????

orthobiz

Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1324 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:33 pm »
Today at DD's

1. The Nice featuring Davey O'List 20th Anniversary

I don't know about this. Is it like The Beatles with Pete Best????

Paul

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1325 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:39 pm »
I don't know about this. Is it like The Beatles with Pete Best????

Paul

Paul here's what I found on Davey O'List

Davy O'List is a figure out of '60s British rock who is nearly as elusive as Syd Barrett -- an ironic comparison since O'List actually played briefly in Pink Floyd at a point in their history when Barrett was starting to fade out. A guitarist and singer who also played trumpet, O'List's first gig of any note was with the Attack, a psychedelic outfit that grew out of a band called Soul System. His chance meeting with the latter group's Richard Shirman led to O'List's joining the band on lead guitar in 1966. The Attack's lineup was never truly stable, however, and in less than a year O'List was gone, recruited by Andrew Oldham for membership in the Nice, which was to have been a Booker T. & the M.G.'s-type backing band for P.P. Arnold. The Nice developed a sound of their own and soon split from Arnold, with O'List handling lead guitar and the vocals on their first single. The guitarist's style and temperament, however, didn't mesh well with that of Keith Emerson, the group's flamboyant keyboard player, who had plans of his own for the Nice's sound. O'List left after the first album and the recording of a song or two that later turned up on the group's second long-player. He passed briefly through the lineup of the Misunderstood, and intersected with Pink Floyd just as that band was looking for a successor to Syd Barrett, whose personal instability due to drug use was becoming a major problem, but O'List only lasted a few gigs. He next turned up with Roxy Music for one tour, and he subsequently played on Bryan Ferry's Another Time, Another Place LP in 1974 -- another recording, a single song with O'List, ended up on Let's Stick Together, but by 1975 he'd moved on to a short-lived association with the glitter rock cult band Jet. Since then, O'List's name has mostly surfaced on reissues of the various '60s bands with which he recorded, although he did release a solo album, Flight of the Eagle, in 1997. He remains an elusive and mysterious figure on the British rock scene, some 35 years after he started out.

Wayner

« Reply #1326 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:43 pm »
Call me stupid, but I just bought this for $xxx.xx

Wayner  :duh:

pumpkinman

« Reply #1327 on: 3 Dec 2011, 11:47 pm »
Call me stupid, but I just bought this for $xxx.xx

Wayner  :duh:

Wayner is it rare on vinyl ???

roscoeiii

« Reply #1328 on: 4 Dec 2011, 01:40 am »
Beastie Boys "Liscenced to Ill"
RJD2 "Deadringer"
Yo La Tengo "I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass"

Wow had I forgotten how good that Yo La Tnego is. Nice heavy vinyl and very well recorded.

Jlappy

« Reply #1329 on: 4 Dec 2011, 05:59 am »
Paul here's what I found on Davey O'List

Davy O'List is a figure out of '60s British rock who is nearly as elusive as Syd Barrett -- an ironic comparison since O'List actually played briefly in Pink Floyd at a point in their history when Barrett was starting to fade out. A guitarist and singer who also played trumpet, O'List's first gig of any note was with the Attack, a psychedelic outfit that grew out of a band called Soul System. His chance meeting with the latter group's Richard Shirman led to O'List's joining the band on lead guitar in 1966. The Attack's lineup was never truly stable, however, and in less than a year O'List was gone, recruited by Andrew Oldham for membership in the Nice, which was to have been a Booker T. & the M.G.'s-type backing band for P.P. Arnold. The Nice developed a sound of their own and soon split from Arnold, with O'List handling lead guitar and the vocals on their first single. The guitarist's style and temperament, however, didn't mesh well with that of Keith Emerson, the group's flamboyant keyboard player, who had plans of his own for the Nice's sound. O'List left after the first album and the recording of a song or two that later turned up on the group's second long-player. He passed briefly through the lineup of the Misunderstood, and intersected with Pink Floyd just as that band was looking for a successor to Syd Barrett, whose personal instability due to drug use was becoming a major problem, but O'List only lasted a few gigs. He next turned up with Roxy Music for one tour, and he subsequently played on Bryan Ferry's Another Time, Another Place LP in 1974 -- another recording, a single song with O'List, ended up on Let's Stick Together, but by 1975 he'd moved on to a short-lived association with the glitter rock cult band Jet. Since then, O'List's name has mostly surfaced on reissues of the various '60s bands with which he recorded, although he did release a solo album, Flight of the Eagle, in 1997. He remains an elusive and mysterious figure on the British rock scene, some 35 years after he started out.

Bill,  Great find!  Great story / history about O'List, too! You know, I never thought of The Nice as having great guitar work, and Emerson's keyboards are all over their tracks.  Once O'List leaves on  their second lp, Ars Longa Vita Brevis, they go without a guitarist.   I read somewhere that they tried to recruit Steve Howe, yet he left after a day  . . . . regardless the Nice become a symphonic power-trio that led to ELP.  Some folks identify  Ars Longa Vita Brevis as one of the 1st prog rock lps, maybe even the 1st since it was released i think 5 months before King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King....

cheers,  Jim

Jlappy

« Reply #1330 on: 4 Dec 2011, 06:23 am »
We got a new used record store today in West Central Illinois  :dance:

Bad Kitty Music

The place is not huge, about 5000 lps at the moment, yet I found some good ones at a reasonable price to add to me collection.

This is the owner John Gorlewski, he is also the lead guitarist for one of our local bands Iron Orchard which  :rock:

here is what I picked up today  :P

Wayner

« Reply #1331 on: 4 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm »
Wayner is it rare on vinyl ???

Extremely rare. EU pressings only and they were limited.

Wayner

madog99

« Reply #1332 on: 4 Dec 2011, 02:21 pm »
I picked up Dave Alvin's new one "11-11" yesterday , had in on CD but couldn't resist the LP.Gotta say this is the best "new" LP I have purchased in the last few years . Very good quality , clean , flat , no noise . What ever plant YepRoc use is doing a great job and I would not hesitate to pick up more from that label .

bside123

« Reply #1333 on: 4 Dec 2011, 03:05 pm »

Bad Kitty Music

The place is not huge, about 5000 lps at the moment, yet I found some good ones at a reasonable price to add to me collection.

This is the owner John Gorlewski, he is also the lead guitarist for one of our local bands Iron Orchard which  :rock:

here is what I picked up today  :P

Good catch Jlappy! All good. "Child Is Father To The Man" is my all-time Blood, Sweat and Tears favorite... brilliant. And... "Blonde On Blonde" well what can ya say? Quintessential Dylan.

What town is that record store in?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1334 on: 4 Dec 2011, 03:33 pm »
Spent a day with Pman and Mrs Pman at the crackhouse, then went to "THE LAIR OF THE PUMKINMAN" to audition his Vandersteen 3As, he has a very cozy and intimate setup, I could have stayed all day, (possibly napping), but had to roll out after a bit as it was a drive home. Still, played a few albums I know well, I think I may become a Vandy convert. He also had collected a few albums for me I'd been looking for, which added to what I bought, made for a productive day.

From Pman, on vinyl;

Only the Lonely by Frank Sinatra , both a domestic and import copy
Watertown by Frank Sinatra
Teaser And The Firecat by Cat Stevens
Catch Bull At Four by Cat Stevens
Footsteps in the Dark by Cat Stevens
Numbers by Cat Stevens
Izitso by Cat Stevens
B.L.T. by Robin Trower

Purchased some Gerry Mulligan vinyl

What Is There to Say by Gerry Mulligan
Jeru by Gerry Mulligan
Compadres (Recorded Live in Mexico) by Dave Brubeck Trio and Gerry Mulligan
Blues Roots LP by Dave Brubeck Trio and Gerry Mulligan

And also on vinyl,

Adventures in Time by Dave Brubeck
Roll With It by Steve Winwood
Jazz Ultimate by BOBBY HACKETT & JACK TEAGARDEN
Suicide Sal by Maggie Bell

And on CD

Ballads by Stanley Turrentine
Reflections by Stan Getz
Stan Meets Chet by Stan Getz and Chet Baker
Best of Chet Baker  by Chet Baker
Jimmy & Wes: Dynamic Duo by Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery
Quiet Now: Dreamsville by Sarah Vaughan
Essential - Great Songs by Sarah Vaughan
The Artistry of Freddie Hubbard by Freddie Hubbard
Page One by Joe Henderson
In a New Setting by Milt Jackson

pumpkinman

« Reply #1335 on: 4 Dec 2011, 07:46 pm »
Purchased about 10 min. ago at my local vinyl shop

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1336 on: 4 Dec 2011, 08:08 pm »
Spent a day with Pman and Mrs Pman at the crackhouse,

What is the crackhouse reference? :scratch:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1337 on: 4 Dec 2011, 08:30 pm »
Sorry Laura, it's a crossposting from a different forum.

The idea is, a used record store in Allentown PA that Bill introduced me to became our vinyl supplier, or crackhouse. But, as we're all addicted to buying vinyl, then whatever store you go to in order to buy it is YOUR crackhouse, so on another forum there is a thread "Afternoon at the Crackhouse", where we list our purchases. I guess I brought it over to AC via cut & paste.

BrianAbington

« Reply #1338 on: 5 Dec 2011, 12:10 am »

Where in west central Illinois is this store? I get out there every other month to visit my son and would love to check this shop out if it's close to where he lives.

Jlappy

« Reply #1339 on: 5 Dec 2011, 05:38 am »
bside & BrianAbington,

Bad Kitty Music is located in Macomb, Illinois.  Here is their web page  http://www.facebook.com/BadKittyMusic There is a local NPR story about the store's opening linked in their their web page to check out.

BrianAbington,  if this is close to where your son is I'm sure John would like if you stopped on in.   :wink:

bside, you are spot on regrading 'Child is Father to the Man' I'm spinning this at the moment   :)