Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
Re: Catch of the Day: Vinyl You've Recently Bought
« Reply #1280 on: 21 Nov 2011, 01:09 am »
Snagged a few additions and upgrades while on business in Troy MI the last few weeks...

@ Flipside:

& @ Solo:

And I actually found time to clean and listen to most of them! :thumb:

Jlappy

« Reply #1281 on: 21 Nov 2011, 02:53 pm »
Snagged a few additions and upgrades while on business in Troy MI the last few weeks...

@ Flipside:

& @ Solo:

And I actually found time to clean and listen to most of them! :thumb:

Sweet finds & a nice mix also I'd add  :wink: 

TimArruda

« Reply #1282 on: 22 Nov 2011, 09:40 pm »
Some stuff I've picked up over the past couple of weeks.

Blue Mitchell - A Blue Time on Milestone
I was not familiar with Milestone, but really enjoy Blue so I picked it up.  It ended up being a double album of Blue's early stuff from Riverside.  What a great album.

Kenny Burrell - The Best of Kenny Burrell
I'm not normally a "Best of" kind of guy, but I love Kenny Burrell.  I also wouldn't call it a "best of" to be honest with you, but it sounds great and I've really been enjoying it.

The Modern Jazz Quartet - Under the Jasmine Tree
MJQ's only record that they recorded on the Apple label.  Not their best stuff, but I really like it.

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
This album has been on my wanted list for a long time and I finally picked it up.  I was not disappointed.

Lee Morgan - DelightfuLEE Morgan 
I was not familiar with this album, but really enjoy Lee so picked it up. Not up to par with The Sidewinder, but I'm enjoying it just the same.

Hank Crawford - Mr. Blues
Not much to say beyond I'm enjoying it.

Tim

PierreB

« Reply #1283 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:48 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1284 on: 24 Nov 2011, 05:44 am »
I got an early start on Black Friday Record Store Day :thumb: The 7" Beatles and Pink Floyd boxes are really cool.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

TimArruda

« Reply #1285 on: 24 Nov 2011, 01:02 pm »
Laura,

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the She&Him Christmas album. That one is on my radar.

Happy Thanksgiving!

And how did you manage to pull those in early?

Tim

decal

« Reply #1286 on: 24 Nov 2011, 01:10 pm »
From Euclid Records in New Orleans....

Steve Cropper,Pop Staples,Albert King  "Jammed Together"
Samples

Papa John Creach
Samples

Albert Collins  "Frostbite"
Samples

From Elusive Discs....

Hendrix  "Band of Gypsys"
Samples

Hendrix  "Blues"
Samples

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1287 on: 24 Nov 2011, 03:54 pm »
Laura,

I'll be curious to hear what you think of the She&Him Christmas album. That one is on my radar.

Happy Thanksgiving!

And how did you manage to pull those in early?

Tim

I actually picked up She & Him last week, but just hadn't posted it. I have been waiting for today to play it. No Christmas music before Thanksgiving. :lol:

The record store owner is a good friend. He let me browse through the selections and take them home last night. I will pay him tomorrow so the "sale" takes place on RSD.

TimArruda

« Reply #1288 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm »
I picked these up this morning at Bull Moose Music for Record Store Day/Black Friday.

Miles Davis - Miles Davis Quartet  - a great album, quiet vinyl and really enjoyable.

Iron and Wine: Morning Becomes Eclectic - Again, quiet vinyl and sounds wonderful.  I would rather there be more music and get rid of the interview, but enjoyable just the same.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - Soul Time - Cool album, really enjoy it.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #1289 on: 26 Nov 2011, 11:23 pm »
Vinyl I picked up today 

1. King Crimson ~ In The Court Of The Crimson King    200 Gram Lp
2. The B-52's        MFSL
3. Shiva's Headband ~ Take Me To The Mountains         180 Gram Lp
4. The Poppy Family ~ Which Way You Going Billy
5. Gene Parsons ~ Melodies
6. Turiya Alice Coltrane Devidip Carlos Santana ~ Illuminations
7. Crystal Gayle ~ When I Dream               Nautlis Super Disc
8. Pinkiny Canandy
9. Denny Laine ~ Holly Days
10. Hamersmith ~ Self titled
11. Steve Hillage ~ L
12. Brian Auger's Oblivion Express ~ Recorded Live At The Whiskey,Hollywood
13. Kitaro ~ Asia
14. Kitaro ~ Oasis
15. Herbie Mann ~ Brazil Once Again

Wayner

« Reply #1290 on: 27 Nov 2011, 10:28 pm »
Billy Idol, Cyberpunk, from across the pond.

Wayner

orthobiz

« Reply #1291 on: 27 Nov 2011, 11:41 pm »
OK. I'm kinda excited and I will report back later tonite. I think I picked up a clean Led Zeppelin II with RL in the dead wax for 4 bucks. I've posted this in my wish list before, RL stands for Robert Ludwig and legend has it they are fantastic sounding.

So, off to the Loricraft I go...

I had no brothers or sisters so I can't imagine writing my NAME on the front of a record cover. Sadly, "Larry" also appears on the label BOTH SIDES (in case someone was gonna split the record in half sideways and steal ONE side?).

It's the narrow "RL"
Can you see it? (barely visible on the iPhone picture)

Paul
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2011, 12:46 am by orthobiz »

orthobiz

« Reply #1292 on: 28 Nov 2011, 12:33 am »
The record is cleaned and I would rate it VG+. It is the RL SS stamped disk with the "right" matrix numbers and the sound really is awesome. The bass has presence, not just like turning up the bass control on the preamp. And definitely more delicate air around the instruments.

This was in Baltimore. Two daughters with me, go into a store, owner is gone. He has THREE LZ II albums unmarked for price. Allie already asked the clerk to call the owner on a price on a different unmarked album and word came back that the unmarked albums are not for sale.

So here's the LZ II without the "Gold Record" award stamp and an inner sleeve with lots of period records from Atlantic pictured inside, none of them newer than LZ II itself. What I mean is I'm not looking at II and there's an inner sleeve advertising House of the Holy or something.

I told him we're from out of town and he should tell his boss that a buyer just HAS to have it. So the price came over the phone: 8 bucks. Kicker is, they had some Black Friday weekend half off sale!

Guess you can tell I'm excited...it's a gem.

Paul

bside123

« Reply #1293 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:13 am »
A good family friend in Austin had 4 big, boxes of LPs stored in his garage for a few decades. They haven't been played in years... only stored. In cleaning out his garage, he offered them to me... Hey, I don't mind! :thumb: There's about 400 records total. I've only started going through the boxes after Thanksgiving.

Here's small sampling. More goodies later!

Bob Dylan "Freewheelin'" 1970 Columbia Reissue, Red Label with Yellow Letters

2 Copies: The Beatles "Rubber Soul" 1965 & 1969 Capital Records, BOTH the Mono & Stereo Releases

The Rolling Stones "Aftermath" 1966 London Records

Mama's and the Papa's "If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears" 1966 Dunhill Records, Mono

Fleetwood Mac "Kiln House" 1970 Reprise Records

pumpkinman

« Reply #1294 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:16 am »
OK. I'm kinda excited and I will report back later tonite. I think I picked up a clean Led Zeppelin II with RL in the dead wax for 4 bucks. I've posted this in my wish list before, RL stands for Robert Ludwig and legend has it they are fantastic sounding.

So, off to the Loricraft I go...

I had no brothers or sisters so I can't imagine writing my NAME on the front of a record cover. Sadly, "Larry" also appears on the label BOTH SIDES (in case someone was gonna split the record in half sideways and steal ONE side?).

It's the narrow "RL"
Can you see it? (barely visible on the iPhone picture)

Paul

Great Paul I know how badly you wanted this Lp  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

orthobiz

« Reply #1295 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:21 am »
So we hit 4 record stores in Baltimore and my 17 year old daughter scooped up a bunch of goodies. Redd Kross "Neurotica." A white label promo of Jobriath's first album, I never heard of him, he's of the Bowie era and is one of the first openly gay performers in rock, it's good stuff. Dead Milkmen, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music "Stranded" and some Cramps she found on the cheap. Clash "Give 'Em Enough Rope." I have created a monster!!!! :wink:

Anyway, if truth be known, SHE found the Led Zep for the old man!

Paul

pumpkinman

« Reply #1296 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:42 am »
So we hit 4 record stores in Baltimore and my 17 year old daughter scooped up a bunch of goodies. Redd Kross "Neurotica." A white label promo of Jobriath's first album, I never heard of him, he's of the Bowie era and is one of the first openly gay performers in rock, it's good stuff. Dead Milkmen, Alice Cooper, Roxy Music "Stranded" and some Cramps she found on the cheap. Clash "Give 'Em Enough Rope." I have created a monster!!!! :wink:

Anyway, if truth be known, SHE found the Led Zep for the old man!

Paul

I remember Jobriath Just was not my thing

vinyl_lady

« Reply #1297 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:55 am »

Paul

Did you live in a fraternity house in college? If you lived in a sorority or fraternity house in college you likely wrote your name on the cover and the label to make sure it made it back to your room. A lot of my 60's records have my name on the cover and label.

Laura

orthobiz

« Reply #1298 on: 28 Nov 2011, 11:40 am »
Did you live in a fraternity house in college? If you lived in a sorority or fraternity house in college you likely wrote your name on the cover and the label to make sure it made it back to your room. A lot of my 60's records have my name on the cover and label.

Laura

They talked about frats at Stony Brook but early 70s was not a time for conformity or something. "no Greeks on campus" was spray painted on some walls. Hey, it was NY, graffiti was everywhere. But I must admit, I cannot find my Paul Butterfield Better Days. At least whoever owns it doesn't have my name on it! :icon_lol:

Paul

DaveyW

« Reply #1299 on: 28 Nov 2011, 07:54 pm »

Laura

My student buys all have my name scratched into the run out dead wax  :D

Still didn't stop some good stuff disappearing though  :evil:

Congrats on your find Paul - I've managed to bag a few long wanted discs this year for sensible money - It's always a good feeling  :thumb: