DIY Amps for NX-Oticas

Folsom

Re: DIY Amps for NX-Oticas
« Reply #80 on: 7 Feb 2021, 08:30 pm »
I too would be very interested in feedback about the NX Studio / 7293 combo (as well as 686).  Even better if anyone has done so with a tube DAC and/or tube preamp.

Jaytor, curious if you’re still content/happy with the Oticas as you as xperiment with different components.  Things could always change, but Oticas or Extremes are still target based on my experience thus far.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/338275-folsom-ec7293-pvi-powered-frontend-60-120w-8-4ohm-post6518836.html

Jaytor

« Reply #81 on: 7 Feb 2021, 09:17 pm »
Jaytor, curious if you’re still content/happy with the Oticas as you as xperiment with different components.  Things could always change, but Oticas or Extremes are still target based on my experience thus far.

I am still very impressed with the NX-Oticas. I think they are the best speakers I have owned (and that includes a number of well regarded speakers over the years including Tympani IVs, Duntech Sovereigns, and Revel Studios).  I don't have the vertical space for the Extremes (my listening room ceiling is about 7'9"), but I am very interested in the Line Forces and would like to build a set sometime soon (I have already collected the NEO 10 drivers).

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #82 on: 8 Feb 2021, 08:11 pm »
I am still very impressed with the NX-Oticas. I think they are the best speakers I have owned (and that includes a number of well regarded speakers over the years including Tympani IVs, Duntech Sovereigns, and Revel Studios).  I don't have the vertical space for the Extremes (my listening room ceiling is about 7'9"), but I am very interested in the Line Forces and would like to build a set sometime soon (I have already collected the NEO 10 drivers).

If you're not already on the list for the cabinets, get a hold of Jay before he does the next run or you may end up waiting awhile for another run to be cut.

Jaytor

« Reply #83 on: 8 Feb 2021, 08:20 pm »
Thanks Mike. Yes, I'm on the list and have been pestering Jay regularly  :icon_lol:

JTS410

« Reply #84 on: 8 Feb 2021, 11:25 pm »
About audio power amps for these speakers but also in general.

For a long time I thought it is possible to measure amplifiers and find out which amps have the better technical data and are better.

By now I watched probably at least 100 videos from Danny Richie from GR-Research, Paul from PS Audio and others. And I read lots of articles about power amps especially on the http://neurochrome.com/ website. And now I am confused.

Is there something like a better amp? Or is it more that amps are different but not clearly better?

I like to buy and build for myself a very good audio system. Maybe like in this thread the MX-Oticas with Neurochrome Modulus-286 amps plus subs. In the moment I have Danny's H frames with 2 drivers in my mind.

My intention is not to try two or more different amps, different speakers, different everything. My intention is to buy and build something very good and that's it.
Is that a reasonable and realistic idea?
It seems in this and other threads many audiophiles try constantly different speakers, amps, etc.
I understand the fun factor of playing around with these things but it obviously cost a lot of money.
Why not buy something very good from scratch and that's it?

Coming back to this thread: Are the MX-Oticas with Neurochrome Modulus-286 amps a good combination? Or which other amps would be better?

I consider myself a modern electronics guy. I don't intend to use tubes or vinyl, ever.

Some incredible builds on this thread so far, thought I'd throw in my modest one.  I originally built these fully-balanced monos based on the Hypex NC400 class D modules to power the 15" woofers on my first open baffle build.  As you can see from the oversized cases (lol) the implementation is very straight forward.  I'm running them as my primary amps now full range and they are some of the best I've had in my system.   Only thing is they are very open on top with a lot of detail.....not fatiguing at all with my current speakers but I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of NX-Otica's so will see how they compare vs. my tube power amp.

Jaytor

« Reply #85 on: 8 Feb 2021, 11:43 pm »
Nice looking build. You should consider replacing one of the sets of binding posts with tube connectors when you get the NX-Oticas.

mkrawcz

« Reply #86 on: 16 Mar 2021, 11:14 pm »
So I decided to build a Neurochrome Modulus-686. After letting it break in for a few days, I’d say it’s about as good as any solid state amp I have heard under $10k. I think my PS Audio BHK300 monos are far better across the board. The closer match is with the Elekit TU-8600s. They are very close in transparency. I like them both equally. I will be building the Folsom EC7293 monos as soon as I can get my hands on some backordered parts.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #87 on: 17 Mar 2021, 12:04 am »
I thought about building the neurochrome amp but it would be cheaper to buy a Schiit Aegir.

mkrawcz

« Reply #88 on: 17 Mar 2021, 12:15 am »
I thought about building the neurochrome amp but it would be cheaper to buy a Schiit Aegir.
I haven’t heard the Aegir, but I bet the Neurochrome is a better sounding amp. That said, I am looking at getting a Freya+ to go with the Neurochrome as there is no other balanced tube preamps near its price. Plus it has great reviews.

Jaytor

« Reply #89 on: 17 Mar 2021, 01:04 am »
@mkrawcz - Nice build! It looks like you went all-in with the Neurochrome boards. I'm using Tom's soft-start board on another project. It's a well-executed design.

I'm glad it's sounding good for you. I'm listening to my Mod-286 monoblocks right now while I do some mods on my Purifi amps. I bought a pair of input buffer boards from VTV that use a 6922 triode feeding a pair of Weiss discrete op-amps. I've got the first one installed and plan to finish the second later this week.

mkrawcz

« Reply #90 on: 17 Mar 2021, 01:19 am »
@Jaytor, yes the soft start board is fantastic. I am planning on using them for the Folsom amp build. It will be interesting to hear your feedback on that 6922 setup.

AKLegal

« Reply #91 on: 17 Mar 2021, 02:22 pm »

I've owned both, the Neurochromes are better but you can't go wrong with the Aegir.
Of the four amps I have recently owned the Aegir ranks above the Hegel H360 but below the Folsom EC7293 and The Neurochrome Mod186.

sunnydaze

« Reply #92 on: 17 Mar 2021, 03:07 pm »
I've owned both, the Neurochromes are better but you can't go wrong with the Aegir.
Of the four amps I have recently owned the Aegir ranks above the Hegel H360 but below the Folsom EC7293 and The Neurochrome Mod186.

I haven't heard any of these amps......
And I'm not one that believes that higher price always guarantees better SQ.....within a reasonable $$ range.

But if I read you correctly, are you saying that the Hegel -- which costs approx 5 to 10X more than all these other amps -- sounds inferior to them all?   I find that hard to believe.    :scratch:

mkrawcz

« Reply #93 on: 17 Mar 2021, 03:54 pm »
And I'm not one that believes that higher price always guarantees better SQ.....within a reasonable $$ range.

But if I read you correctly, are you saying that the Hegel -- which costs approx 5 to 10X more than all these other amps -- sounds inferior to them all?   I find that hard to believe.    :scratch:
The Neurochrome mod-686 is about $3k once you have all the parts so it’s more like half the price. When it comes to price vs performance, these particular DIY amps are better than most retail amps under $10k. They are still flat out not nearly as good as PS Audio BHKs which remain better than any amp I ever heard or demoed by far My previous benchmark was my brothers Krell Evo 403 and even that is not much competition.

AKLegal

« Reply #94 on: 17 Mar 2021, 04:04 pm »

I wouldn't have sold my H360 in favor of the Folsom amp if it was better. The DIY price performance advantage over manufactured products is quite large. This is why I am building my own preamp using Khozmo parts later this year.

The better question is why a single Schiit Aegir is slightly better than the Hegel with high-efficiency speakers. Unless you need all of that power the Aegir is the no brainer. You can have Aegir monos for less than half the price of a used H360 or H390.

sunnydaze

« Reply #95 on: 17 Mar 2021, 06:41 pm »
I apologize.....I researched real quick and was mistaken in my pricing.    :oops:

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and informative reply.    :thumb:

mkrawcz

« Reply #96 on: 6 Apr 2021, 12:26 am »
Quick Neurochrome mod686 update for anyone who has this amp or is considering it. I changed out a little surface mount resister to increase the input gain from 26db to 29db and that seems to have had a dramatic impact on this amps performance. I am using an Elekit TU8500 preamp as a unity gain tube buffer and the combo is really good.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #97 on: 6 Apr 2021, 01:03 am »
Quick Neurochrome mod686 update for anyone who has this amp or is considering it. I changed out a little surface mount resister to increase the input gain from 26db to 29db and that seems to have had a dramatic impact on this amps performance. I am using an Elekit TU8500 preamp as a unity gain tube buffer and the combo is really good.

In your setup, you may have just needed the extra gain, although your signal to noise ratio will be slightly worse. It’s not a big deal with the 686 since the base SNR is sooo low anyway. It also depends on the output voltage of your source and sensitivity of your speakers.

For example in my setup with a 4-5V RMS source, 96 dB speakers and no preamp (I used to own a TAPX though), the 20dB gain version of the 686 is best.  I removed the same SMD you changed and that dropped the gain from 26dB to 20dB.

It’s all about adjusting things to your liking. One thing is for sure, the 686 isn’t the bottleneck if transparency, neutrality and detail are what you are after.

Best,
Anand.

mkrawcz

« Reply #98 on: 6 Apr 2021, 01:42 am »
It’s probably just preference although my Matrix Element x DAC outputs 4VRMS and the Oticas are 93db. The higher gain just seems to create more realism and more dynamics.

Bullitt5094

« Reply #99 on: 6 Apr 2021, 02:55 am »
What I'm currently using to power my X-LS Encores. All DIY of course.

Nelson Pass B1 Korg preamp

Pass F5 Power Amp

I am working on another Pass item. It's an active crossover. Just finished stuffing the resistors today.

Next... I have everything to build a second F5. When completed I then intend to use the active crossover in front of the two F5 amps to power the 4 drivers in a NX-Studio build. If the woofers ever come in for them! If not, I'm looking for a similar two-way OB project.