Super V's and the Joules Divorcing - kid involved

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Super V's and the Joules Divorcing - kid involved
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jul 2013, 12:54 am »
I'll be driving up on Friday then back home on Sunday.
Anybody got any further on this? We're thinking of driving up, but have to figure a few things out (like if we want to stay near the show or someplace else closer to wherever).

Sounds like it would be a blast to attend the show for a bit and visit GTG style and listen to some gear!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jul 2013, 07:58 pm »
Looks like Saturday would be the day for a BBQ. After a long day at the show, you folks were need some nourishment.

Who needs a place to crash? I'm not that close to SF, about a 50 to 60 mile drive, but hell, I'm not flying there! And who's in for a BBQ and a listen to the Joules? After last night, I just don't know anymore. Would be hard to part with.

Lena and I were listening for a while on the current setup which is rather minimal. This morning we are still in awe of just how LOUD and clean the Super V's can play. I'm learning new rather fundamental aspects with 2 channel audio and have changed some very basic audio principles in the last week that I held dear.

Last night we were playing some old tunes, some stuff that I loved early on but really never played much again since I entered the audiophile system. Not that it was bad or anything, just different and often different enough that it wasn't that enjoyable. Some recording were just plain bad. They sounded great on my Zenith Clock radio and better of my 1970's Yaamaha/Nak, Technics turntable, but this is the digital age and... So last night I played Beach Boys, Journey, original Journey, Dave Mason, Robin Trower and others because what I was finding was that it all sounded great, I mean, amazingly good. Music sounded very much like I had remembered, and this is difficult to explain but I think most of you know, there are sacrifices paid sometimes to a hirez system. A bad recording can get uglier. I'm not hearing this anymore. I was poking around my library and thought I'd que up some Pink Floyd. Lots of albums to choose from so I chose Dark Side of the Moon. Not my favorite because it had been played to death and beyond decades ago. I was done with Album. (No this isn't/wasn't a bad recording). This time around however was something very different, the same but different. It wasn't just the 3D-ness, or the air/separation, but the ability to dial up the volume I mean to crazy levels and sit in front of the V's with our jaws on the floor. The absolute clarity and realness was shocking. There was a realization that the Super V, given the right music signal, simply wouldn't break up at ridiculous volumes. The other marvel was that even at these ridiculous volumes, they didn't elicit a bolt to the doorway. I need to get my golden eared comrades back for a listen. Maybe I'm smoking something.  :smoke:  :bomb:

I got to give Danny Richie credit here. High Five to Danny Richie and his design of the V's :thumb: I'm pretty sure many speakers would have been left smoking.  I would have been fearful of meltdown only I never detected a hint of distortion or anything being over-driven. Not Even The Room!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jul 2013, 08:38 pm »
Michael,

I should be at Luan's place around Noon or so on Saturday so if you're up to it, I can crash on your couch Saturday night. :)

Thanks,
Looks like Saturday would be the day for a BBQ. After a long day at the show, you folks were need some nourishment.

Who needs a place to crash? I'm not that close to SF, about a 50 to 60 mile drive, but hell, I'm not flying there! And who's in for a BBQ and a listen to the Joules? After last night, I just don't know anymore. Would be hard to part with.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #63 on: 22 Jul 2013, 09:00 pm »
Michael,

I should be at Luan's place around Noon or so on Saturday so if you're up to it, I can crash on your couch Saturday night. :)

Thanks,

OK got you penciled in for BBQ and crash.

Are you attending the SF Show?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #64 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:17 pm »
Thanks Michael.

We are not attending this year...Too many shows...Not in the budget. :)
OK got you penciled in for BBQ and crash.

Are you attending the SF Show?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #65 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:57 pm »
Sounds like a good tentative plan to me! Anything we can bring?

OK, let me see if I got this right....... :scratch:

Plan would be to go to the Show on Friday, then your place on Saturday Michael? Would that be a lunchtime or dinnertime?

Trying to figure out when to go up and how long to stay. The Show website has tickets for all three days - can you purchase one day only at the show? The hotel hosting the Show has raised it's rates, so we'll probably stay someplace else and we're wide open to suggestions. :dunno: May head up Thursday and get there in the late afternoon. That way we could get in a full Friday at the show. Depending on Saturday's plans, we might go to the Show for a couple of hours (if it's worthwhile after Friday). If BBQ is late, we'll stay Saturday night at a hotel as well.

Oh - can we bring music? Do you have a player (CD/SACD/etc) these days, or are you completely computer driven?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #66 on: 22 Jul 2013, 10:59 pm »
Thanks Michael.

We are not attending this year...Too many shows...Not in the budget. :)
What are you going to bring up Hugh? :drool:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #67 on: 22 Jul 2013, 11:05 pm »
Nothing much.

Just a PB101. :)

Unless, Sunil makes up his mind to get the big MN845. ;) :D

I could bring an Onix XCD-50 player if you guys want to listen to cds.
What are you going to bring up Hugh? :drool:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jul 2013, 11:21 pm »
Nothing much.

Just a PB101. :)

Unless, Sunil makes up his mind to get the big MN845. ;) :D

I could bring an Onix XCD-50 player if you guys want to listen to cds.
Oh geez! The big boys!

You got any of Pete's new speaker cables to demo? I gotta replace my old Kimber 8tc's at some point

Hey Michael! You up for swapping some gear out at this shindig?  :green: Gotta see how much better the Joules are than any of this new-fangled stuff.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #69 on: 23 Jul 2013, 03:01 pm »
Sounds like a good tentative plan to me! Anything we can bring?

OK, let me see if I got this right....... :scratch:

Plan would be to go to the Show on Friday, then your place on Saturday Michael? Would that be a lunchtime or dinnertime?

Trying to figure out when to go up and how long to stay. The Show website has tickets for all three days - can you purchase one day only at the show? The hotel hosting the Show has raised it's rates, so we'll probably stay someplace else and we're wide open to suggestions. :dunno: May head up Thursday and get there in the late afternoon. That way we could get in a full Friday at the show. Depending on Saturday's plans, we might go to the Show for a couple of hours (if it's worthwhile after Friday). If BBQ is late, we'll stay Saturday night at a hotel as well.

Oh - can we bring music? Do you have a player (CD/SACD/etc) these days, or are you completely computer driven?

Saturday BBQ around dinnertime 6 or 7. You can crash at our place and save your cash for that gadget you wanted at the show.  :thumb:
 I have a CD/SACD player.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #70 on: 23 Jul 2013, 03:05 pm »
Oh geez! The big boys!

You got any of Pete's new speaker cables to demo? I gotta replace my old Kimber 8tc's at some point

Hey Michael! You up for swapping some gear out at this shindig?  :green: Gotta see how much better the Joules are than any of this new-fangled stuff.

That's how we roll - equipment.   8)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #71 on: 23 Jul 2013, 05:11 pm »
Saturday BBQ around dinnertime 6 or 7. You can crash at our place and save your cash for that gadget you wanted at the show.  :thumb:
 I have a CD/SACD player.
Appreciate the offer Michael, but we're both lousy sleepers and both far more likely to be up for several hours in the middle of the night needing something (TV or a book) to distract us.

Any idea of what time people should show up on Saturday?

Also looking for suggestions on a decent hotel at a reasonable rate that is not too far from your place - maybe between you and SFO? (a bit less driving time to the Show)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #72 on: 25 Jul 2013, 06:16 pm »
Sorry everyone I have been held hostage at the Palazzo Hotel in Vegas for a podiatry convention.  John, I worked it hard and won $240 on a penny machine the night before last.   I guess that's why they call it the hard way.   Did someone say BBQ?  I have lost 30lbs and I'm hungry.  BBQ would be perfect for me.  SuperV and Green Egg. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #73 on: 25 Jul 2013, 06:41 pm »
Don't forget the Silver Oak Cheeseboy. :D
Sorry everyone I have been held hostage at the Palazzo Hotel in Vegas for a podiatry convention.  John, I worked it hard and won $240 on a penny machine the night before last.   I guess that's why they call it the hard way.   Did someone say BBQ?  I have lost 30lbs and I'm hungry.  BBQ would be perfect for me.  SuperV and Green Egg.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #74 on: 25 Jul 2013, 06:42 pm »
PM me please. :)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #75 on: 25 Jul 2013, 07:46 pm »
Steve-  are you going to the Show?

30 pounds? - Fantastic!

We'll bring some form of reddish liquid if we make it.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #76 on: 26 Jul 2013, 09:15 pm »
I hope to be moving on the 10th and the 11th.  What days are we talking about here?  I forget.  Vegas was a ball buster.  Work work work then play play play. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #77 on: 27 Jul 2013, 02:27 am »
I hope to be moving on the 10th and the 11th.  What days are we talking about here?  I forget.  Vegas was a ball buster.  Work work work then play play play.

Must have been a heck of a week in Vegas............ :nono:

Refer back to post #21 and #36

Cheeseboy

« Reply #78 on: 29 Jul 2013, 04:41 pm »
Crap.  The good news.  Escrow closed on 7/22 and and we got $20K over asking price on our home.  The bad news is I have to be out by the 12th of August.  My moveout plan is to vacate the 10th and the 11th. 

Can't we delay all of this until I have found a new home to purchase and have finished the move?  I feel like I am living inside a popcorn machine and have to catch each kernel as it pops.  I could be there if I had a heliocopter.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #79 on: 29 Jul 2013, 04:59 pm »
Well S.,

Enjoy your move then. :)
Crap.  The good news.  Escrow closed on 7/22 and and we got $20K over asking price on our home.  The bad news is I have to be out by the 12th of August.  My moveout plan is to vacate the 10th and the 11th. 

Can't we delay all of this until I have found a new home to purchase and have finished the move?  I feel like I am living inside a popcorn machine and have to catch each kernel as it pops.  I could be there if I had a heliocopter.