CIA vs. Monolithic/Compare and Contrast?

TheChairGuy

« on: 17 Jan 2004, 02:35 am »
Dusty,

Perhaps it's been asked earlier, and you've answered ad nauseum, but I must have missed it......what is the difference operationally or theoretically beween Channel Islands Audio and Monolithic?

I thought maybe one was your direct-to-consumer line, and the other was dealer...but it seems not so.

You certainly don't owe anybody an explanation, it's your business, but my curiosity has pipped up on the subject. Thanks.

CIAudio

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2004, 12:14 am »
Let's start with Channel Islands Audio...
CIAudio is my own company and our mission is to build budget priced, no frills components that compete with products costing much more. We utilize carefully laidout, simple circuits with minimalist signal paths and rugged build quality.
Although it's my company, Greg Schug of Monolithic Sound does have some interest and helps with circuit designs etc.

As for Monolithic Sound...
Greg and I decided to do this line of products soon after my departure from Audio Alchemy. Although it started out with similar goals to the CIAudio line, the products are more feature laiden and will get more so as we release future products. These products are generally in the next price range up from CIAudio, but still big "bang for the buck" value.

We plan to continue with both lines and possibly even add a higher line of tube products in the future. But for now, we've got our hands full and have plans for many new products for both existing lines.

The bottom line is they are the same, but totally different :-)

-Dusty_V-

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2004, 03:14 am »
Thanks Dusty....I think it's the work-in-transition that has some of us confused (well me, at least).

Channel Island Audio = 2 channel, focused on maximum sound for the money, relatively no frills.

Monolithic Sound = (Possibly) Multi-channel, some frills (remote, trim, additional outputs, etc).

Now it makes sense.

As a 2 channel enthusiast primarily focused on sound quality at the best available cost and not largely concerned about cosmetics...I think I'd be more a Channel Islands customer in the future.

Thanks :wink: ....that clears up quite a bit. Again, thanks, Dusty.

CIAudio

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:22 am »
You've sorta got it, but let me clear up a few things...

#1 We are 2 channel Hi-Fi enthusiasts and no have interest in Home Theater at this point. After all, why spend all our efforts on making accurate sound reproduction to hear a foley artist breaking a stalk of celery to immitate the sound of somebody getting thier leg broken.
I know some people love that stuff, but we're just not into it.

#2 CIAudio products will most likely never sport things like remotes, balanced inputs/outputs, tone controls, full sized chassis, etc., but many of these are likely on future Monolithic products. Audiophiles/music lovers don't all look for the same things in a product, so we decided to create multiple product lines to cover a broader range of what people are looking for. We're always working on new ideas, so check our website often for new product info.

Happy Listening!

-Dusty_V-

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2004, 05:32 am »
We're always working on new ideas, so check our website often for new product info.

That's my intention!  Thanks again for the super clear explanation - you're my kinda' company!