Northern CA GTG

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #80 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:53 am »
Yup. :)

Yes. Not one of my favorite styles of music, but you'd be surprised how well some of it was recorded. Most of the later Beastie Boys albums come to mind. It was a joke reply anyway.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #81 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:56 am »

Yes. Not one of my favorite styles of music, but you'd be surprised how well some of it was recorded. Most of the later Beastie Boys albums come to mind. It was a joke reply anyway.
I knew that.....figured it was a good opportunity to bag on rap for awhile  :icon_twisted:.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #82 on: 6 Sep 2012, 03:09 am »
I knew that.....figured it was a good opportunity to bag on rap for awhile  :icon_twisted:.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #83 on: 6 Sep 2012, 04:22 am »
OK, I'll need to know sometime next week of what to bring so somebody please make a list.

Thanks,

SoCalWJS

« Reply #84 on: 6 Sep 2012, 06:22 pm »
OK, I'll need to know sometime next week of what to bring so somebody please make a list.

Thanks,
What? You don't want to lug everything up????!!  8)

Well, It all depends on who else brings what else. I've got the Emotiva XPA-1's hooked up to my LS-6'es, and I know Sunil has them hooked up to his LS-9's, so I can get a good baseline.

At some point, I'd like to hear some good tubes driving them and see (hear) the differences, so I'd be real happy to hear tube amp(s) with them, preferably something with some real heft to them as I'm something of a basshead (Quality/weight, not just volume)

I believe Steve is talking about bringing his Dodd, so that gives a SS/Tube pre comparison into the picture. Would love to hear some different source comparisons.

Hmmmmm......what else?  :scratch:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #85 on: 6 Sep 2012, 06:53 pm »
Do you have a second couch we could put in the room?  I could ask my brother in law to cut some blocks of wood such that we could have "Stadium Seating".  One couch behind the other and slightly higher than the other.  I have a friend who did this in his home theater.   I would be happy to get here early so we can add seating. 

Yeah!  Lena has to be there. 

In my pea brain this event has to serve three functions.

1) Sunil really could benefit from hearing a dedicated two channel system in his room with the LS9's featuring either tubes in front of solid state amps or a 100% tubed pre/amp solution for music.  His crossovers in the speakers need to be on full range.  No subs turned on.  While his room is near perfect for HT not all music can be purchased in multi-channel.  Selfishly I want to hear the LS9's fully trimmed in bottles myself.   Spoil me!  Spoil all of us!

2) Lena has been comparing her new GR Research Super V's to her lingering memory of GR Research LS6's.  If we can give Sunil the listen in tubed product he is looking for then Lena will get her good listen as well to the potential of letting go of the LS products and fully embracing the Super V's in her home today or poor Michael will be wielding power tools in the garage once again.   Sorry Michael but I going to put my money on the LS9's.   I like the dynamics and giant sound stage the Ls deliver.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not taking a thing away from what the Super V's can do.  My most important stuff is well served by the Ls series.  This line used to allow me to get out of some very sticky situations.   "It's not you, it's me." 

3) The Home Theater system at Sunils home is something that everyone should hear.  The LS speaker line delivers a level of performance that moved me and many others to vote with thier pocketbook and invest in a quality several cuts above the competition.  2 channel or Home Theater you really should hear these.  DIY through GR Research or completed by Hugh at Angel City these speakers kick major ass.   Guarenteed to blow your mind!  They are not for everyone.  They are big and need some room to breath. 

I hope my dreams come true.

It would be really interesting to hear the V's and the 9's in the same room with a few different pieces of amplified electronics. Wow.

Having owned or own both, at this point, I might bet on the V's. The 6's never came into there own until I fed them regenerated AC power. They loved the Power of Pass and the dynamics were always breathtaking. But I still added a sub. The V's with an extra pair of servo's would destroy nearly every speaker I've heard in an average room. But I've never listened to the 9's. That's why I may need a hat and require large donations.   :jester:  oops, wrong hat.

Feeding the 9's with the Joules or Hughs big Melody's would be fun to hear.

If I survive the day (Final Design Review) I'll try to provide a list of equipment to try. We'll need to create a schedule based upon number of "setups" folks wish to hear.

Now about that wine... am I bringing the aerator?  :scratch:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #86 on: 6 Sep 2012, 07:11 pm »
Bring it anyway...just in case. :)

Now about that wine... am I bringing the aerator?  :scratch:

soundofrockets

« Reply #87 on: 6 Sep 2012, 07:13 pm »
my primary interest is to check out the tubes - pre and amps.  so obviously more the better.  the Vs has tickled my curiosty bone and would love to compare the 9s and the Vs.  but i can understand if Michael is unable to lug them around.  i do have the venturi aerator if that qualifies but i believe that Steve has something special.  Steve ?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #88 on: 6 Sep 2012, 08:56 pm »
I'm going to bring my 380 watt Cherry Amp cause I really thought it sounds like the Joules but with the brass ones to power the low end on an LS speaker.   I would love to front the Cherry with Hughs Melody PB-101.  I just wanted some confirmation by some better ears than mine.   It's not just being old you know all that ear hair and wax gets in the way too.  A tubed pre amp and a solid state amp combination works very well on my system today.  My speaker upgrade will come in a couple of years.   Just what the doctor ordered for me.  I would like to have a direction in mind when the time comes.  The LS9's powered by tubes has always been something I've wanted to hear.  The Super V versus LS9 dilemma rages within me.

What ever Hugh or Michael or Morgan recommend in tube amps for the LS9's I'm down with it.  I think I'm going to leave the Dodd at home as the Preamps Hugh is bringing are more representative of a musical tubey preamp than the Dodd.   They should offer a deeper soundstage with more front to back and midrange bliss.  So I believe. 

I'll be bringing a wine product called the "Wine Fall".  My buddy makes them and they work very well.  We could do a wine fall versus venturi tasting is anyone is interested.  I'm going to bring a couple of special bottles to drink with our host.

If we are going to do full range listening on the LS9's it might be a good idea to break in the crossovers on full range before we arrive.   I think they would need some breakin after being changed from medium bass to full bass.  I'm not sure about this someone else could confirm?

Is anyone bringing a DAC we can run out of the Emotiva CD player that Sunil has in the system?  Hugh?  Anyone? 

« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2012, 09:57 pm by Cheeseboy »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #89 on: 6 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm »
We're sold out of Onix DAC so no go on this.

So far, I got these on the list:
PB101 Pre
M845 SET Monos
Onix XCD-50

soundofrockets

« Reply #90 on: 6 Sep 2012, 11:18 pm »
I'll be bringing a wine product called the "Wine Fall

which one are you bringing ?? mini, ultimo or the signature ??

SoCalWJS

« Reply #91 on: 7 Sep 2012, 12:17 am »
I'll be bringing a wine product called the "Wine Fall

which one are you bringing ?? mini, ultimo or the signature ??
Had to look it up - pretty cool looking.

(maybe I know what I'll get Anne for Christmas)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #92 on: 7 Sep 2012, 06:54 pm »
It's the bigger one I guess it's the Ultima!  The gentleman that makes them works out with me.  We can get them at cost if you want one for xmas.. 

I know Michael and Lena like Zero-7 and B-Tribe so I'mma gonna bring some of that plus some Paul Simon, JVC/GRP Jazz Fest CD's and some other mixed demo discs with rock, jazz and new age on them. 

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #93 on: 7 Sep 2012, 08:23 pm »
Hey Steve, you forgot about Shiny Toy Guns and Porcupine Tree. Or can those speakers handle it  :lol:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #94 on: 7 Sep 2012, 09:08 pm »
I'll bring some random classic rock just in case - Dire Straits, Floyd, etc, and Pete Belasco for bottom end. May throw in a CD-R that I gott from an AVS member that has a couple of unique cuts.  :green:

Steve -  I'm interested in an Ultima if it works like described, but I'll touch base with you there on that. Anne also is saying something about a work conference in mid February in Napa where we may be able to visit or catch a dinner.....
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2012, 10:52 pm by SoCalWJS »

Cheeseboy

« Reply #95 on: 7 Sep 2012, 10:47 pm »
It is not the Ultimo it is the $99 one.  I asked Tom to send me a PDF on it.   Another workout buddy is the CFO at Silver Oaks.  I could hookup a tasting for you.

I haven't bought any Shiny Toys Guns yet.   I could bring my remastered 'Back in Black" A CD guarenteed to ruin a pair of speakers or your ears .  How about some Depeche Mode remixes?  Cure remixes? 

Old Traffic, Old YES and Old Zepplin?   AHHHHH Johnny Winter anyone!

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #96 on: 10 Sep 2012, 02:57 pm »
It is not the Ultimo it is the $99 one.  I asked Tom to send me a PDF on it.   Another workout buddy is the CFO at Silver Oaks.  I could hookup a tasting for you.

I haven't bought any Shiny Toys Guns yet.   I could bring my remastered 'Back in Black" A CD guarenteed to ruin a pair of speakers or your ears .  How about some Depeche Mode remixes?  Cure remixes? 

Old Traffic, Old YES and Old Zepplin?   AHHHHH Johnny Winter anyone!

I've got Johnny Winter "Jonathon Dawson Winter the IIIrd" Some of the tastiest blues rock that side of the Mississippi.  Of course Depeche Mode Ultra which is arguably the best sounding disc EVER through the LSx's  :thumb: If you don't believe my, ask my wife   :shh:

Silver Oak tasting?  8)

nickd

« Reply #97 on: 10 Sep 2012, 10:33 pm »
No worries on the crossover change gents, just a few less resistors in the trap circut. it will have TONS of bass right out of the gate on the "full" setting. it was too much for my 21d x 14' 6w x 9'h room. To really get crazy sub bass below 30hz at full volume, you need solid state power and most likely a sub or two (really good ones).

The 9's to have amazing soundstaging abilities. But in a very live underdamped room, the V has crazy depth and less side wall reflections, so it all depends on personal taste and on the room ya'all are using. They both rock in the right room.

sounds like a fun group to hang with. makes me wish I lived further north. It's much cooler there by the bay too 8)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #98 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:37 pm »
Sunil,

What day & time do you need me to be there?

Thanks,

morganc

« Reply #99 on: 11 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
Hugh can you bring the AN 845 also?  I would love to see and hear it :thumb: