Solid State or Tubes with your NX-series speakers?

Jaytor

Re: Solid State or Tubes with your NX-series speakers?
« Reply #160 on: 24 Apr 2024, 01:11 pm »
Earlier in the month I bought an Ayre KX-R Twenty preamp.  I am extremely happy with it.  I had the KX-5 Twenty prior to this, and a friend talked me into selling it to him.  It is also excellent.

That's a pretty cool looking unit. Bet it sounds great!

DanM88

« Reply #161 on: 25 Apr 2024, 03:23 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new here and just ordered an NX Studio to build. Does anyone have experience matching these speakers with an Anthem STR? Or should I look into tubes?

richidoo

« Reply #162 on: 25 Apr 2024, 06:23 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Dan!

STR amp has plenty of power for NX Studio. It is relatively neutral, and should be a good match, imo.

DanM88

« Reply #163 on: 25 Apr 2024, 07:22 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Dan!

STR amp has plenty of power for NX Studio. It is relatively neutral, and should be a good match, imo.

Thank you!  I'm excited to start the build and I can't wait to hear these speakers!

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #164 on: 26 Apr 2024, 12:39 am »
Did you notice an improvement from your other preamp?  It is one of the nicest preamps I have seen.

I think it is better than the KX-5 Twenty, but the difference in price does not reflect the difference in performance - at all.  In fact, it was because the KX-5 Twenty was so good that I had confidence in getting the KX-R Twenty.  The differences are mostly due to higher cost parts. Apparently the resistors are much more expensive than the ones in the KX-5 Twenty.  And there is another important difference... the input switching is done the same way as the volume.  It's a more "direct" way of doing it compared to the KX-5 Twenty.  Ayre is very friendly / shares details about the design of the product.  Great guys.

BrandonB

« Reply #165 on: 26 Apr 2024, 07:50 am »
I think it is better than the KX-5 Twenty, but the difference in price does not reflect the difference in performance - at all.  In fact, it was because the KX-5 Twenty was so good that I had confidence in getting the KX-R Twenty.  The differences are mostly due to higher cost parts. Apparently the resistors are much more expensive than the ones in the KX-5 Twenty.  And there is another important difference... the input switching is done the same way as the volume.  It's a more "direct" way of doing it compared to the KX-5 Twenty.  Ayre is very friendly / shares details about the design of the product.  Great guys.
You are getting that last 5%.