Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp

John Casler

Re: Introducing the MCP-18 Audiophile Multichannel Preamp
« Reply #20 on: 5 Aug 2013, 07:40 pm »
John,

Questions for you.

If the multichannel single ended inputs are chosen (let's say with an Oppo BDP 95 as a source) are both the multichannel XLR outputs and single ended RCA outputs useable at the same time? Or must one choose either balanced or single ended outputs? Is the +/- trim available for EACH output separately?

Thanks,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

The only thing selectable is the "input".  The Outputs are all live.  For example, I have my Surrounds and Sub running off the RCA's and my frontal LCR off the XLR.

You cannot trim the outputs separately, but you can trim each channel separately.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 6 Aug 2013, 03:07 am »
Excellent question, Anand!  My guess is unbalanced source = unbalanced output only, balanced source = balanced and unbalanced output. 

John, sorry if you answered this already...what is channel trim range in dB? 

John Casler

« Reply #22 on: 6 Aug 2013, 06:11 am »
Excellent question, Anand!  My guess is unbalanced source = unbalanced output only, balanced source = balanced and unbalanced output.

All Source Inputs are selectable.

Both RCA and XLR  Ouputs are hot at all times from ALL sources when selected.

John, sorry if you answered this already...what is channel trim range in dB?

I just checked, and channel trim and volume control are in .5 db increments, not 1 db as I initially thought.
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2013, 01:46 am by John Casler »

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 7 Aug 2013, 04:04 am »
John,

Questions for you.

If the multichannel single ended inputs are chosen (let's say with an Oppo BDP 95 as a source) are both the multichannel XLR outputs and single ended RCA outputs useable at the same time? Or must one choose either balanced or single ended outputs? Is the +/- trim available for EACH output separately?

Thanks,
Anand.

The idea behind the MCP-18 is that it has to perform seamlessly as a 2-channel stereo preamp, and then work as a 7.1 system, where we expect there may be a MCH SACD player and a Home0theater processor or high-end BD player with analog output.

For a 2-channel person with more than 2 sources, he can utilize the MCH inputs as well, by just connecting to the L/R out of the 8 channels. 

The outputs are simultaneously distributed to both RCA and XLR at all times, regardless of which input (RCA or XLR being selected).

Please don't underestimate the performance based on the MSRP, as the MCP-18 uses discrete switched thin film resistor ladder attenuator in the main L and R channels.  This volume control technology is unmatched in accurate channel tracking and transparency. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 7 Aug 2013, 04:37 am »
So trim steps are .5 dB...great!

What is dB range for trim function? 

For instance, on my current preamp trim range is +/- 10dB.  Also, on my current preamp, whatever channel is boosted, overall gain is cut by the same magnitude.  For instance, if I boost C Ch +10 dB, the preamp looses 10dB of global gain vs. trim set flat or cut.   

Same with MCP-18? 

John Casler

« Reply #25 on: 7 Aug 2013, 07:54 pm »
So trim steps are .5 dB...great!

What is dB range for trim function? 

For instance, on my current preamp trim range is +/- 10dB.  Also, on my current preamp, whatever channel is boosted, overall gain is cut by the same magnitude.  For instance, if I boost C Ch +10 dB, the preamp looses 10dB of global gain vs. trim set flat or cut.   

Same with MCP-18?

To be precise, the UNITY Volume trim steps are .5db, from 0db to 99db.

The individual channel trim steps are 1db and have a range of + 20db or - 20db

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 7 Aug 2013, 08:09 pm »
To be precise, the UNITY Volume trim steps are .5db, from 0db to 99db.

The individual channel trim steps are 1db and have a range of + 20db or - 20db

John,
Wow, +/- 20 dB trim range is great.  Doubt anyone could need more. 

Just so buyer's are not surprised later: if, for instance, one channel is trimmed +"X" dB, is global gain decreased by the same "X" dB?  For instance, one channel trimmed +10 dB = maximum global gain 99 dB - 10 dB = 89 dB. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #27 on: 7 Aug 2013, 08:17 pm »
Are the balanced outputs buffered from the un-balanced outputs?  Don't want to have connecting an RCA output messing up the balanced output.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 7 Aug 2013, 10:50 pm »
Are the balanced outputs buffered from the un-balanced outputs?  Don't want to have connecting an RCA output messing up the balanced output.
They are buffered, both XLR and RCA output can be utilized at the same time.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:25 am »
: if, for instance, one channel is trimmed +"X" dB, is global gain decreased by the same "X" dB?  For instance, one channel trimmed +10 dB = maximum global gain 99 dB - 10 dB = 89 dB.

Unity gain is at #85, maximum gain is 15dB.   Therefore, if Center channel is trimmed +10dB, then at #90, the Center channel will plateau while the other channels' volume goes up.  i.e.   At #92,  Center has only +8dB gain relative to other channels.

sac8d4

« Reply #30 on: 17 Aug 2013, 06:31 am »
My preamp arrived early this week, I will be running it through the paces

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 17 Aug 2013, 01:45 pm »
Unity gain is at #85, maximum gain is 15dB.   Therefore, if Center channel is trimmed +10dB, then at #90, the Center channel will plateau while the other channels' volume goes up.  i.e.   At #92,  Center has only +8dB gain relative to other channels.

If I understand this correctly, the trim is not fixed.  IOW, in the example, trim is +15 dB (that's a huge figure, admittedly, and only in the case of wildly different amp and/or speaker sensitivity) below 85dB global gain, but then the trim diminishes past 85 dB. 

It seems like it would make more sense for the preamp to stop at 85 dB rather than change the trim automatically. 

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 18 Aug 2013, 08:31 am »
If I understand this correctly, the trim is not fixed.  IOW, in the example, trim is +15 dB (that's a huge figure, admittedly, and only in the case of wildly different amp and/or speaker sensitivity) below 85dB global gain, but then the trim diminishes past 85 dB. 

It seems like it would make more sense for the preamp to stop at 85 dB rather than change the trim automatically.

Assuming you trim the center channel and listening to a 2-ch source (from a Smart Phone?) that needs to move the volume to #99, then the above UI design is more intuitive.

John Casler

« Reply #33 on: 19 Aug 2013, 01:42 am »
Looks like we will have a B-STOCK MCP-18 shortly.

If anyone is interested PM me.

guest61169

« Reply #34 on: 19 Aug 2013, 12:04 pm »
I would like to apply the 20% discount, as I am a current owner of the AVP-17.

Can you please provide a link explaining this 20% discount?

Update:  just found it on another thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118355.0

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #35 on: 19 Aug 2013, 12:59 pm »
As someone who has owned a McCormack MAP-1 for several years, I've wondered why more manufacturers don't offer a product like this. To the folks at NuForce, may I just say  :thumb:

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2013, 07:34 pm »
Looks like we will have a B-STOCK MCP-18 shortly.

If anyone is interested PM me.

Yes, it is available.

John Casler

« Reply #37 on: 9 Sep 2013, 12:08 am »
More information and ideas about the versatility of the MCP-18

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119674.msg1258321#msg1258321

pdkm

« Reply #38 on: 19 Sep 2013, 04:29 am »
Is the B-stock MCP-18 still available?

John Casler