BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1280 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:19 pm »
After disconnecting USB-drive I also opened my BDP-2 and disconnected the internal SSD too. But again error code 09. My display shows this:
BDP2 000246               ERROR 09
R03.0 2012-11-27               166

What to do next?
Regards, Gerard

Hi Gerard,

Does your BDP have the original ESI Juli@ audio device (white circuit board) or the new Bryston IAD?  Is the DAC receiving signal (lock) at any point before the error 09 message appears?

Chris

Gerard

« Reply #1281 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:54 pm »
Yes I have the new IAD and yes my BDA-2 receive the 48k LOCK. So Linux is started. I think it can only be the CF that is corrupted. But i do not know what this caused this, just by upgrading.....
One thing i noticed though: directly after the (succesful) update my BDP-2 was OK and i wanted to activate Music Scraper and i got the message: "To enable Bryston API user space must use ext, Check Disk Information".
I did shut-down my BDP-2 and after removal of my Scratch USB stick (i thought this was the culprit), i rebooted and then the error 09 occurred....

Gerard

« Reply #1282 on: 28 Sep 2017, 08:55 pm »
Hi Chris, should i re-flash my CF-card with the file "firmware20140430.bin" i used previously for upgrading to MM (but then through update firmware within BDP-2)?
Can i use the older Win32DiskImager for that on my Windows 10 computer?
And how can i change the fat32 format to ext needed for Bryston API user space to work?
Hope to hear from you soon!
Regards, Gerard

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1283 on: 28 Sep 2017, 09:39 pm »
you use win disk imager, but with this file after its been unzipped

http://vps96186.vps.ovh.ca/files/manicmoose/manicmoose.img.zip

Gerard

« Reply #1284 on: 28 Sep 2017, 10:07 pm »
Thanks, i will try to re-flash with your img file.

Gerard

« Reply #1285 on: 28 Sep 2017, 10:59 pm »
Hi Chris, I re-flashed the CF-card with the manicmoose.img. Insert it again and left my internal SSD disconnected.
But again the ERROR 09. The number below this errorcode is now 172 instead of 166, whatever that means.
I'am becoming a little desperate now.  :wtf: is the matter here?????? :bawl:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1286 on: 28 Sep 2017, 11:32 pm »
Might be worth checking the serial cable if you havn't already.  Otherwise the unit might require servicing, mike (mpickett@bryston.com) can setup the RMA.

Gerard

« Reply #1287 on: 29 Sep 2017, 12:50 am »
I checked all cables and i think they are fine. It is unlikely that a cable is the cause. The unit worked fine for months with MM 2.34. I also did not open the unit for months so why should a cable now create problems!!!
Chris, of course I thank you for your quick help, but I am very disappointed that an update procedure can cause the unit to malfunction and that it even requires servicing!!! :icon_surprised: :?
I live in the Netherlands, Europe. So it will take a while to send it to Bryston. I find it difficult to accept that I will not be able to play music from my SSD for weeks and perhaps more than a month because of a failed software update!!!  :thumbdown:
Do I have to send an email to Mike to start the procedure?
Regards, Gerard

Hoiman

« Reply #1288 on: 29 Sep 2017, 05:46 am »
I live in the Netherlands, Europe.

I also live in the Netherlands, just send it to Mafico and maybe you can bring it yourself (they are in Bergschenhoek, Zuid Holland, dat is bij Rotterdam). My SP2 was out of order and they repaired it within a week, but I brought and picked it up myself.

Gerard

« Reply #1289 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:36 am »
I also live in the Netherlands, just send it to Mafico and maybe you can bring it yourself (they are in Bergschenhoek, Zuid Holland, dat is bij Rotterdam). My SP2 was out of order and they repaired it within a week, but I brought and picked it up myself.

Hi thanks for trying to reassure me. But I live in Alkmaar, that's long way from Mafico. I had to take my BDA-2 once for service years ago and it took 3 weeks to get it returned...
But, yeah, shit happens, that's life :sad: I hope Bryston will help me promptly...

Marius

« Reply #1290 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:44 am »
Hi thanks for trying to reassure me. But I live in Alkmaar, that's long way from Mafico. I had to take my BDA-2 once for service years ago and it took 3 weeks to get it returned...
But, yeah, shit happens, that's life :sad: I hope Bryston will help me promptly...

Well, what can we say. I recognize your sentiments about the past.

But since Hein van der Klaauw took charge of Bryston at Mafico's thing have changed much for the better. Give him a call (though he's very occupied with this weekends X-fi show in Veldhoven) and im sure you'll be offered wonderful service!

Also, never underestimate Chris, and always follow his suggestions. Even if you don't like or understand it, if he says to check the serial cable, do so. You never know why Chris might find it reasonable to suspect it being the culprit for your issue...

Cheers, (also from the Netherlands ;) )
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1291 on: 29 Sep 2017, 11:58 am »
Nice to see such a supportive community here on this thread, and in friendly Netherlands too, not surprised. I hope Gerard can have his unit fixed soon. As for Chris.....he helped me quite a while back on more than one occasion, by very fast email interactions, to get my BDP up and running for iPad control etc. Nothing like what Gerard is going thru, but still needed help and Chris did the job for me.
cheers

Hoiman

« Reply #1292 on: 29 Sep 2017, 02:06 pm »
Hein van der Klaauw

He is the man.   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

He did a lot for me when I ordered the BDP-3 and BDA-3. He gave me a BDP-1 and BDA-2 for the time I had to wait. I can tell you I had to wait a few months (yeah an early adapter ;-) ), but no problem for them at Mafico  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Gerard

« Reply #1293 on: 29 Sep 2017, 04:58 pm »
Thanks guys for all your support! By your comments I feel less alone out here without my music... :wink:
Also nice to see all you Bryston users in the Netherlands. I thought i was almost the only one here with just one dealer for the whole country that used to be not very 2 channel-audio minded....
I know Chris is also very supportive, so no complaints here! I tried everything he suggested, and more, at least three times to get the BDP-2 working again but the damned thing just comes back with the Error 9 message....
I am waiting for Mike Prickett to answer my mail for a RMA.
I will try to contact Hein van der Klaauw (he is new to me, was about 4 years ago I was last at Mafico) and see what can be done. I also go to the X-fi audio show in Veldhoven on Sunday, so perhaps i will meet him there!
Thanks guys again for your support!
Kind regards, Gerard

Gerard

« Reply #1294 on: 30 Sep 2017, 11:17 am »
Might be worth checking the serial cable if you havn't already.  Otherwise the unit might require servicing, mike (mpickett@bryston.com) can setup the RMA.

Chris, do you know if Mike is on holiday or otherwise not available? I have send him several messages but until now no responds.
Hope to hear from you.
Regard, Gerard

David Cutler

« Reply #1295 on: 1 Oct 2017, 07:40 pm »
Reply to Gerard's problem:

Some time back, I had a similar problem after a firmware update on my BDP2.

I tried many things and eventually found that the system would not boot with any disks (either internal or external) connected.  Disconnecting the external and internal disks allowed the BDP to boot.  I had to get it to clear the database and run it's indexing to completion.  Once it was happy booting and rebooting, I could re-connect the disks and it then behaved.

I think what was happening is that the boot process was taking too long and the monitoring board had decided there was a problem, shutdown the processor and displayed the error message.  Removing the disks shortened the boot time, getting in before the monitor intervened.

Gerard

« Reply #1296 on: 1 Oct 2017, 11:11 pm »
Reply to Gerard's problem:

Some time back, I had a similar problem after a firmware update on my BDP2.

I tried many things and eventually found that the system would not boot with any disks (either internal or external) connected.  Disconnecting the external and internal disks allowed the BDP to boot.  I had to get it to clear the database and run it's indexing to completion.  Once it was happy booting and rebooting, I could re-connect the disks and it then behaved.

I think what was happening is that the boot process was taking too long and the monitoring board had decided there was a problem, shutdown the processor and displayed the error message.  Removing the disks shortened the boot time, getting in before the monitor intervened.

Thanks for you suggestion. Indeed James also suggested that I should disconnect all drivers. I did remove both the internal SSD and flashdrive I used for scratch drive. But even without any disk the error 09 stayed, so the boot process could not be completed...
I returned my BDP-2 to the distributor in the Netherlands (Mafico) today.

Gerard

« Reply #1297 on: 6 Oct 2017, 02:25 pm »
Update on the BDP-2 malfunction after MM update:
Last Sunday I visited the X-fi audio show in Veldhoven and the distributor Mafico was also present with an all Bryston demo. Sounded very good!  :thumb:
I took my broken BDP-2 with me and Hein van der Klaauw of Mafico was so kind to take the unit after the show with him to Mafico for servicing! They tested it Tuesday and found out that there was a malfunction of the motherboard! Cause unknown! Also no further specifics what the defect was, but after installing a complete new motherboard the unit worked again. Everything was tested next day and night and all worked well! I hope to have it returned around this weekend!
So it remains a mystery how this is related to the MM update. Perhaps it was just a coincidence that the malfunction of the system board occurred right after the update??? How knows. For me, I still do not understand how the motherboard was broken spontaneously. Little bit worried if this could happen again...
My unit is about 4 years old and Mafico have repaired it under warranty so luckily no extra costs for me! I’m grateful for the way Hein of Mafico has handled and solved the problem! Thumbs up! :thumb: :thankyou:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1298 on: 6 Oct 2017, 04:33 pm »
Gerard, That's great news, glad you are satisfied. It is indeed bizarre that the MB failure occurred right after the update. What version of MM is your BDP-2 on right now?  the orig version before update?

cheers

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1299 on: 6 Oct 2017, 06:09 pm »
Software updates don't physically break motherboards. If it needed a new motherboard, I'd call that a fluke.

It IS possible that the software update resulted in using a portion of the RAM that wasn't used before, where a flaw already existed.