DAC-9

lousyreeds1

Re: DAC-9
« Reply #80 on: 21 Apr 2016, 01:36 pm »
Hi all,

I've had the DAC-9 for a few days now and am really enjoying it.  My digital source is an Auralic Aries Mini, and the DAC-9 is a nice improvement over the Auralic's internal DAC.  It got rid of some edginess and added a lot of smoothness and warmth.  The Auralic is connected to the DAC-9 using a Black Cat Silverstar 75 coax cable. 

Here's a question: what would I gain, if anything, by switching to a good-quality USB cable?  Is there any basic difference in the quality of the inputs on the DAC-9?  If it's worth considering, does anyone have recommendations?  I'd be looking for something transparent and fast.

Thanks!

rustydoglim

« Reply #81 on: 22 Apr 2016, 10:14 pm »
Save all your money, be patient, and when Omnia is out (production shipment probably September), replace Auralic.
Omnia sounded better (even in its current prototype) than all the A&K models including the very expensive $3500 model.
At an estimated price of $1095 (may be $995), it is a music server, renderer, player, DAC and headphone amp.

As we have mentioned in another topic, we packed a server, renderer, streamer, player, high-end DAC, and headphone amp all onto a single device. Next month, I will talk more about why Omnia can out perform any music server or portable player due to some innovations on the motherboard.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #82 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:01 am »
Ok...  I'm still interested to know whether there is a significant difference in sound quality between the DAC-9's various digital inputs - as I'm sure others are as well.  I'd appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts.

rustydoglim

« Reply #83 on: 24 Apr 2016, 07:21 pm »
All else being equal, coaxial is preferred over optical.
For high-res music, you pretty much have to rely on computer which is the most cost effective.
But then when Omnia is available, you would get the best performance by using it as a source/server.

At Munich, Germany next month, for the first time,
I am going to demo Omnia as a server for multiple WR-100, but also as personal player driving Sennheiser HD-800 and people will hear what it can do.

spons

« Reply #84 on: 9 May 2016, 01:30 pm »
« Last Edit: 9 May 2016, 06:31 pm by spons »

kevb

« Reply #85 on: 14 May 2016, 12:54 pm »
Surprised there are no real user reviews about this yet, other than general impressions.  I have read the one by Totally Wired, but they are a dealer and don't really say much other than it is not quite up to the DAC-10/10H in overall performance but might be better in the midrange.

Are there any users/dealers (sounds illegal... :lol:) out there who can share more insight into what they have heard?

rustydoglim

« Reply #86 on: 15 May 2016, 08:20 am »
sure there are many users of DAC-9, much more than DAC-10 based on our sales.
I think DAC is becoming more of a commodity so there isn't much to say. People just don't get too excited even if it is a good DAC.
DAC-10 has headphone amp that is quite special, or multiple gain settings.  DAC-9 is very good but you just use it and forget about it.
Whereas all the different varieties of amps get people excited because they can play with different sound.

kevb

« Reply #87 on: 15 May 2016, 05:17 pm »
sure there are many users of DAC-9, much more than DAC-10 based on our sales.
I think DAC is becoming more of a commodity so there isn't much to say. People just don't get too excited even if it is a good DAC.
DAC-10 has headphone amp that is quite special, or multiple gain settings.  DAC-9 is very good but you just use it and forget about it.
Whereas all the different varieties of amps get people excited because they can play with different sound.

Well, I have the STA-9 with about 8 hours on it and I really am loving it.  Problem for me is that I am not sure what to go for - get the DAC-9 right now, or wait and save up for the DAC-10.  I am using an Audio-GD NFB 10.32 with dual Wolfson 8740 DAC's right now, which is supposed to be warmer than the ESS 9018.  I like the sound, but it might be a bit too warm sounding.  Plus, the USB implementation is horrible with the Tenor TE8802.  It only works on 16/44.1 in Linux.  I will be picking up another STA-9 to run in bridged mono eventually, but I need a new DAC first.

Decisions, decisions.    :scratch:

KLH007

« Reply #88 on: 15 May 2016, 10:21 pm »
kevb, Stop procrastinating and get a DAC-9. You get a transparent preamp with remote, an analog input that doesn't get an A/D conversion, and the 4490 chip DAC section walks the fine line between too incisive/overly detailed and too smooth/rolled off. If you find many of the Sabre implementations not to your liking, the DAC-9 is is just right, not too warm but not lean, vocals are natural, and I find myself listening to music without concern about equipment. The differences between DACs seems to be shrinking, especially in the same price range, The DAC-9 matches your STA-9, multi-tasks eliminating a need for a separate preamp, the remote works flawlessly changing volume and inputs, USB, toslink, and SPDIF all sound terrific, and the price is a bargain.

rustydoglim

« Reply #89 on: 17 May 2016, 05:55 pm »
I am sure your dealer or us will be happy to let you trade in DAC-9 to DAC-10 provided that you keep it in excellent condition.

kevb

« Reply #90 on: 17 May 2016, 09:39 pm »
kevb, Stop procrastinating and get a DAC-9. You get a transparent preamp with remote, an analog input that doesn't get an A/D conversion, and the 4490 chip DAC section walks the fine line between too incisive/overly detailed and too smooth/rolled off. If you find many of the Sabre implementations not to your liking, the DAC-9 is is just right, not too warm but not lean, vocals are natural, and I find myself listening to music without concern about equipment. The differences between DACs seems to be shrinking, especially in the same price range, The DAC-9 matches your STA-9, multi-tasks eliminating a need for a separate preamp, the remote works flawlessly changing volume and inputs, USB, toslink, and SPDIF all sound terrific, and the price is a bargain.

That's it....I'm showing this post to my wife AFTER I order the DAC-9. After all, It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission, correct?   :lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #91 on: 18 May 2016, 02:03 am »
 :thumb:

Just be sure to allocate funds for your wife. She'll be a lot more forgiving (based upon my own experience).

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #92 on: 18 May 2016, 02:56 am »
But which one is a renewable resource?

(says the obviously unmarried guy)

restrav

« Reply #93 on: 18 May 2016, 12:30 pm »
can someone please post a few pictures of the inside of DAC-9. as in a picture of the circuitry? t

kevb

« Reply #94 on: 18 May 2016, 09:01 pm »
:thumb:

Just be sure to allocate funds for your wife. She'll be a lot more forgiving (based upon my own experience).

I've been at this awhile.  :thumb:  I have so much equipment here that she won't even bat an eye.  As long as I am moving some out once in awhile.     :lol:

kevb

« Reply #95 on: 18 May 2016, 09:02 pm »
But which one is a renewable resource?

(says the obviously unmarried guy)

Wives are expensive to keep happy, but even more expensive to make go away.   :lol:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #96 on: 19 May 2016, 05:40 am »
What if you replace them with newer models? Do maintenance costs go down?  :o

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #97 on: 19 May 2016, 06:08 am »
can someone please post a few pictures of the inside of DAC-9. as in a picture of the circuitry? t

Hi, Dadbeh.

Maty or someone else posted a pic of the DAC-9's insides in another thread. It may have been in the STA-9 thread. I just saw it a couple days ago. Edit: It was not the STA-9 thread. I may be confused - not the first time!  :oops:
« Last Edit: 19 May 2016, 07:51 am by mresseguie »

Juventino

« Reply #98 on: 19 May 2016, 12:35 pm »
Well, I have the STA-9 with about 8 hours on it and I really am loving it.  Problem for me is that I am not sure what to go for - get the DAC-9 right now, or wait and save up for the DAC-10.  I am using an Audio-GD NFB 10.32 with dual Wolfson 8740 DAC's right now, which is supposed to be warmer than the ESS 9018.  I like the sound, but it might be a bit too warm sounding.  Plus, the USB implementation is horrible with the Tenor TE8802.  It only works on 16/44.1 in Linux.  I will be picking up another STA-9 to run in bridged mono eventually, but I need a new DAC first.

Decisions, decisions.    :scratch:

I am currently running 2 x STA-9 with the Dac-9 with a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors and I am loving the sound.

I recently picked up a locally (South African) produced Vivere Dac and going to see how the ESS9018 sounds with the STA-9's. I love the small foot print of the Nuprimes so even if the Vivere sounds great might sell it on.

rustydoglim

« Reply #99 on: 19 May 2016, 04:04 pm »
If you want the ESS DAC more neutral sound, wait for the NuPrime Omnia server+player, target to ship in October.