HT8's complete!

Adam

HT8's complete!
« on: 16 Mar 2007, 09:53 pm »
So, they're done.  The HT8 project is complete!

Painted in official Ferrari silver, with 1/3 matte compound clearcoat added to the mix because i didn't want them super shiny.

Beautiful to look at, amazing to listen to. These will be my main speakers for a long long time.

Thanks Phil, for the fantastic construction, very much appreciated. 

Al, you've designed some very inspiring and soul transporting speakers.  My girlfriend and i stayed up very late last night going through our albums, discussing the different recording techniques and if the song was right, being whisked away.  Albums of note:  Portishead: Dummy,  Beck: Mutations,  Sufjan Stevens: Illinoise.    Regardless of what music you're into, these albums are worthy of checking out for their recording quality and overall wow factor.

Original build thread here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32072.0

Yes, i added wheels to the bottom..  I know that spikes might be a little better, but these allow for such easy placement tuning, transport (the speakers are HEAVY), etc.  Besides, functionally they terminate in a small area and do a good job of decoupling the speakers from the floor, so i don't think they compromise the situation at all.  Some silicone seal in the shaft bearing keeps them vibration free.

Zero

Re: HT8's complete!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2007, 10:31 pm »
While we do not see the rest of the lay-out, from the perspective of the camera - the synergy between the cosmetics of your room and your system are flowing extremely well! I must say its one of the few rooms I've seen that is easy on the eyes to where the system effectively becomes part of it without too much attention draw... Excellent work!! Al makes one hell of a speaker ..  enjoy!

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2007, 10:45 pm »
Nice.

:bowdown:

WEEZ

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:14 pm »
Adam.
Those turned out very nice.
Well done!
I have to ask! What did the paint job from the local Ferrari dealer cost for those HT8's ?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:18 pm »
Hey Adam,
 I must say that looks like a magazine ad for Al's speakers.  I mean that in a very positive way. Very nice speakers, nice room layout and nice photo.

So, who did the paint job? (I use to be an automotive painter)

RAW

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:36 pm »
Bill

Thanks
Adam had a local Ferrari dealer paint them for him
I am really wanting to find out what that paint finish cost him?

Adam is a photographer as well .Nice photos as well as layout for sure.

Midnite Mick

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2007, 06:48 pm »
Very nice indeed.  Do those "wheels" have locks?  I could see them start to roll around with those extremis's (or is it extremi) pounding.

Mike

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Paint / more photos
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2007, 01:06 am »
Hi,
Thanks for the nice comments Midnite Mick, Response Audio, WEEZ, A6M-ZERO!  It's been a lot of fun, and a lot of work!!  I don't know if you've read the build thread here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=32072.0   but i originally wired one of the crossovers incorrectly, and noticed AFTER they were assembled!  Oh man, tracing the signal path, through one of the extremis holes with a flashlight and a mirror... not fun! :)   Check and test those crossovers before you pull the glue out!

Answers to the questions:
They were painted by the very talented and nice guys at Prestige Auto, in Brisbane OZ.  They're an approved Ferrari paint shop, and it was pretty exciting to just go in there and see all the Lambos and Ferraris, some cool old Jags too. There must have been 5 Italian supercars in there, in various states of undress..a few front end smushes (yikes!) Anyways, i've had bad luck with cheap paint shops before, and didn't want to mess around with the HT8's. 

They cost a lot to paint..  Around $1400 AUS, which is around $1300 CAD.   I had three colour tests done, so i could see the final results.  Most of the tests had to do with the shine / specularity of the paint, settling on the 'just slightly matte' finish which i think works really well.  The tests took 3.5 hours total, which at $85 an hour shop rate added to the cost...   You could get them painted for a lot cheaper, most definitely, but i'm new to Brisbane and don't have many connections or tips for this kind of thing..  I knew Prestige Auto would do a first rate job, the first time.

Here's some more shots of them in the room:
Don't let the wide angle lens and high ceiling fool you...  These aren't small speakers!  But the thinness of them does help minimize the visual weight when viewed from the front.

Yes, that cat is a little fat

They look pretty short in this shot, but the ceiling is 30' / 10m... so factor that!

This room, with all the hard walls and floors is pretty 'wet' sounding.  Not ideal for sure, but there's not much i can do.  What's really interesting is how the HT8's handle this.  While they were being painted, we were using some bookshelf speakers - mid range Mission ones - a little dry and dead and not much low end even for a bookshelf (typical thin 'British sounding' (sorry Mission and B&W owners...it's true!)), but not the worst speakers.   No matter what i did, i couldn't get them to sound good in this big room.  The were either too quiet, or loud and defocused...  totally 'shoes in the dryer' sounding.  the room basically massacring whatever they put out.  My girlfriend said straight away  'Those sound horrible!'  and she was right.  It worried me that the room would ruin the poise of the HT8's.

Well, so fantastically for me, this was entirely not so.  The 8's consume the entire room, and i know this is so cliche, but they  fill the room with music.  I'll be in the kitchen, WAYYY out of the official sweet spot and still get beautiful highs and focused bass.  Those ribbon tweeters have such unbelievable off-axis.  If you haven't heard these things, i respect you'd have a hard time believing it, but you can actually walk around the room and maintain imaging. You can basically stand between the two of them and get a center image, bumping heads with the singer.

The wheels haven't yet vibrated, but i've yet to bust out the gangsta rap, or my Yo-Yo Ma cello records, so we'll see.  Some silicone in the bearing shafts of both the speakers and the wheels seems to be doing the trick. On hard floors, wheels are great.  Some purists might scoff, but really they sit on fine points and there's no rattle.  It's fine.

I know this probably sounds like a paid advertisement for Al and his RAW beauties, but it's not. I just like his stuff.  I'm even looking at getting another set, HT2's this time, for monitors in a recording studio.  That is going to be another interesting project.. stay tuned.

Thanks for the kind comments,
Cheers,
/A

RAW

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2007, 05:43 pm »
Adam.
Now that explains the finish.$1300.00 for the finish alone, they look stunning.I am sure the photos do not do them any justice at all.
Side by side with the Thor's that Phil built the over all project was well documented by Adam.
Adam was a local who moved down under for a job relocation and before doing so made a visit to us.The few hrs he listened to the LX II,HT8 the HT3,Apex II.
With all that in mind Adam purchased the HT8 kit with the Addition of the full sonicap stack on the midrange.

Adam
I must say a very well documented project from start to finish with Phil's help :thumb: to the both of you.

Now the HT2's will be heading you way in the near future :icon_lol:

Many thanks for all your work in the project and hope you enjoy them for all the time to come.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2007, 06:09 pm »
They really look great....fits the room perfect !! And exactly like the test sample photo... :beer:

(project link...)

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2007, 08:02 am »
Yes - got pretty close to the test render!  Thanks Lonewolfny42. 

Next up:  Amp shootout!   I'll put this in another thread, but the quick description is:

SET KT88 tube monoblocks  VS   Adcom GFA 6000   VS   GB150D monoblocks

Who will win?  The sweet sound of a single ended tube?  Brute force of the Adcom transistor?  or the elegant efficient design of the GB150D's??

/A

BlackSandCable

« Reply #11 on: 21 Mar 2007, 03:33 pm »
WOW! They look very nice indeed.  :D

I have a set of HT8's on order myself and after seeing your pictures and reading your impressions, I can't wait to get them!

Nicely done and congrats!  :thumb: