Noob looking for a home

Berndt

Noob looking for a home
« on: 19 Apr 2006, 10:20 pm »
Just bought a house in Northern California and $$$ is tight.
An old rack mount onkyo amp/pre/eq/tuner was left behind by the previous owner, it now is powering some boom box speakers.
I first started lurking on the circles 6mos ago and was very impressed by Brian Cheneys 626, and enjoyed meeting him and his wife.
Just can't swing the entry price right now.
Talking to Brian Casler and he gave me a bunch of options for 500$ but I just want more than I can afford.
Can I repeat that? I want more than I can afford, hence DIY.
Been talking to Al and the RA8 looks like it will fit the bill.
Thanks to Al for spending 45minutes on the phone edifying me.
I have done both customer service and protoype manufacturing and the two are not the same, often the parasites that suck up all of your phone time just want you to design their wet dream, not pay for your time.
I really appreciate getting Al on the phone and I feel confident that this loudspeaker will fill my needs as a budding DIY audiophile.
My wife says end of the month for buying the kit.
Discovered a few sheets of 3/4" mdf at work and will start cutting material tommorrow.
Plan to finish the exterior with ryno lining truck bed liner in our autobody shop. I was thinking of making aluminum bases that have through thded holes so the spikes can be adjusted from the topside via knurled adjusters. Also thinking of having a removable panel for the xover mounting.
Been researching diy tube amps, would a set style amp be too little poop?
We have a 700sqft condo and the main room these would be in is connected to all the other rooms.
This has been very exciting for me and my wife is quite supportive.
Questions, comments and suggestions are all appreciated.
It has been fun lurking, I feel like I am on the steep part of the learning curve right now as far as what is available, and learning what I can do.

Berndt

RA8 q's
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2006, 05:24 pm »
The isometric view of the cab in the plans shows no baffle in the MTM section where the section views show a support brace behind the tweeter.
Does the MTM section have a center baffle?
The dwg calls for a .437"R on the backside of the driver holes, is it OK to use 1/2"r or 3/8"r?
The 7/16"R  router bit is a bit pricey.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bill

RAW

Noob looking for a home
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2006, 06:02 pm »
Bill was nice talking to you the other day.

For the baffle we build one baffle with all the holes in the same panel.

Then box in the MTM compartment.

For a radius that is for your to do as you see fit, some have just used a 45dgr angle router bit others 3/8".
This does not matter this just helps with a radiation of rear sound waves.

Berndt

Noob looking for a home
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2006, 10:09 pm »
Al, thanks for your response.
Still not clear on the center mtm detail.
Does it seal the box into two sections, or is it just another gusset?
My manufacturing habits take over, I don't want to make just one pair.
I sized up the stack of mdf and am thinking about just doing another pair of boxes, it will not take me 2x the time once I am set up.
Now those apexs with the less expensive xo look tempting too, were do you stop?

RAW

Noob looking for a home
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2006, 02:04 am »
Bill
As shown on the 3d side view the MTM is sealed and uses a brace behind the tweeter.This was added into the plan but not on the 3d image on the plan.

Noyou do not seal off the 2 drivers in the middle of the MTM thjis is just a brace behind the tweeter not a devider.

Berndt

Noob looking for a home
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2006, 06:11 am »
I will mimmick the H design for the MTM enclosure brace.

RAW

Noob looking for a home
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2006, 03:07 pm »
Yes that is easy to do.

That is why we did this easy to do with a jig saw.
But people can do the braces how every they like as far as how the holes are in them but just keep the locations the same.

Good luck as you procede.