HT3 Kit On-Order!

audioferret

Thanks
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2006, 03:59 am »
I may need help figuring out how to get the veneer added correctly.  I haven't totally settled on a veneer, but I am contemplating Waterfall Bubinga veneer with Bubinga Sapelle End Caps (Hardwood).  This will hide the top and bottom seams and add a little flair.  (Yes, I'm inspired by Rocket speakers)

-AF

BradJudy

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2006, 02:00 pm »
I've only done one veneering project (pair of monitor speakers), but I spent a lot of time reading various websites about veneering.  It seems to be universal that a vacuum setup is the best way to go, but I didn't want to buy/build one for just one pair of monitors, so I took the contact cement route (not the most recommended option, but it worked well for me).  I used raw, trimmed veneer, so I had to deal with seaming pieces together.  Are you planning on buying a veneer sheet or raw veneer?

You should definitely test whatever technique you use a couple of times on scraps first.  This also has the advantage of giving you veneered scraps to test finishes on.

RAW

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2006, 04:19 pm »

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=737
BetterBond Heat Lock™ is the woodworker's solution for small or irregularly shaped veneering projects. Designed specifically for iron-on veneering, Heat Lock™ bonds raw and paper-backed veneers to common substrates such as wood, plywood, MDF and particle board with an ordinary household clothes iron. To use HeatLock™, simply apply a uniform coat to the substrate and the back side of the veneer. Allow both pieces to dry to the touch (approximately 25 minutes). Then place the veneer onto the substrate and use a clothes iron (set on medium/high) to "re-activate" the adhesive binder. Apply even downward pressure giving the full veneer area ample time to heat up and bond. Allow an additional 1 to 3 hours for full bond strength.

I recommend this product.
Very easy to use for square or rounded corners if you do a full wrap.
Waterbased sets in a few hrs, :oops: A little longer than solvent based glues.
But you let this stuff dry 100% on the cabinet and veneer.
After that you place the veneer and iron it on.

That was hard. :wink: No fumes.

On my way out I will give you a more detailed veneer info later on today.

BradJudy

HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2006, 05:20 pm »
Neat stuff - I'll have to keep it in mind for my my next veneering project.  

BTW: I've bought from Joe Woodworker before and they were good to deal with.

audioferret

Web Site Updated
« Reply #24 on: 12 Mar 2006, 01:56 am »
I have added two more pages of construction and pictures of the source equipment.  These will probably be moved to their own page on the site under the category "source equipment"

I am around 50+ hours of play...not enough time...

http://www.geocities.com/ghaunadaur99/audio/diy.html

-AF

RAW

Re: HT3 Kit On-Order!
« Reply #25 on: 8 Nov 2006, 05:13 am »
Time for a update!