Is this the beginning of the end of the Blu-Ray disc?

Freo-1

Re: Is this the start of the end of the Blu-Ray disc?
« Reply #20 on: 10 Mar 2019, 10:07 pm »
DVD was a huge step up from VHS/Beta. Sadly BluRay was only a tiny step up. Then sadly, way way too many early BluRay releases were only in DVD quality. No way to know.. and that stopped me cold from bothering with BluRay at all. That it is dying? it never really got off the ground. Not like DVD, or CD. Same can be said about SACD. Where if SACD dual SACD/CD was the only way to buy and CD alone vanished... Sony could have done that. nope.
I suggest stocking up on BluRay players from eBay... Best bet is pick one brand, one model, buy five of them... ten of them...

Sounds like some sage advice. 

Mag

Re: Is this the beginning of the end of the Blu-Ray disc?
« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2019, 06:12 pm »
Purchased 4 more blu-ray concert videos for my collection. That brings my total to 34 blu ray concerts and many more concert dvd's.

Wanted to point out that although I use an external universal player that plays blu-ray. I also have a LG blu-ray drive in computer with Windows 10.

In order to get it blu-ray drive in computer to work you need to have VLC media player and also download Leawo blu-ray player. Leawo interface has improved since I first downloaded it. A feature you may over look when first using it is if you right click on the mouse, a menu pops up. Select audios, then audio output device, I can send the audio output to my external dac which then feeds my stereo pre, or I can select computer audio device which then sends signal to 4k TV. I also have a HDMi splitter which routes the video and audio to my HDTV upstairs.

Leawo also has other menu options if you right click mouse, like which codecs you want to be able to play.

Sound quality is excellent as well.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #22 on: 27 Aug 2019, 02:09 am »
The quality of streaming video and audio isn't close to that of physical media.

Ex JL Rep

« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2019, 10:12 am »
Streaming drops the sound quality a tad. I prefer blu-ray disks.

I don't think blu-ray is going anywhere. Although it may not end up being the most popular, things tend to diversify rather than go away. Look at vinyl....it's still around.

Besides, DVD-video is still pretty good, and those discs are even more plentiful.

MttBsh

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2019, 02:50 pm »
I think that rather than diversify, magnetic tape as a music medium has pretty much become obsolete. It breaks down over time and sound-wise I can't imagine anyone preferring cassettes, the dreaded 8 tracks or even reel to reels over CDs, Blu-Rays or high res digital. When I was young, audiophiles went gaga over reel to reels, even 20-30 years ago they were considered the crème de la crème in some circles.

WGH

« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2019, 05:34 pm »
Redbox just started carrying 4K UHD disks for $2.50 a night, I thinks Blu-ray will be around for a while.
https://www.redbox.com/4K