NCore Listening Impressions

RichPark

Re: NCore Listening Impressions
« Reply #60 on: 23 Nov 2013, 12:20 am »
I finished my NCore monos a few months ago.  At the time, I had just installed some Goldpoints attenuators in my Plinius P12 preamp, Anticable interconnects and Anticable speaker wires on my JR Model 1.  I connected everything and was ready to hear magic through my Nova Applause (MTM) speakers.  The sound was too clear, harsh, and hyper detailed.  I have recently read that someone describing their system as shouting at them.  It was really nagging at me.  Ideally I want to be able to determine the size of a venue by the subtle reflections of the instruments.  I want to hear where the musicians  were standing when they recorded the tracks.  Too many changes only yielded disappointed.  In order to listen to my music, I had to turn the volume down.  It sounded fair at low volume but the ambient noise in my home drowned out the music.  The midrange warmth and the depth of the sound stage my old amplifier created was gone.  Maybe jumping from a 120 watt 4 ohms amp to a 400 watt amplifier was the straw that broke the camel’s back .  I had extreme buyer’s remorse.

After a few days of this torment, I moved the speakers further apart, from 7 feet to 10 feet and maintained a 3 foot distance from wall.  Since this was as far as my new 6 foot speaker wires stretched, I was just going to live with this hifi sound. It made my cds more listenable but was still missing something. 

I had no idea after changing amps, wires and volume control speaker placement would have to be re-evaluated.  I always thought once your speakers are placed the room acoustics wouldn’t be affected by equipment variations.  Boy, was I wrong. 

Now, I am into my 4th month with this system and only just now wondered how far I could pull the speakers apart before the stereo image would collapse.  Out came the short jewel like Anticables and in went my ugly 10 foot long braided Teflon cat5 speaker wires.   I stretched the speaker placement to 12 feet apart, 4 feet from the wall with a 1.5 inch tilt.  This system is now detailed, panoramic and no longer “shouting” at me.  I can live with these. 

Nick77

« Reply #61 on: 23 Nov 2013, 11:28 am »
I found the Anticables very detailed but slightly tilted upward, maybe you had too much of a good thing. Its all about synergy, good luck.

HighRez

« Reply #62 on: 24 Nov 2013, 02:52 am »
I tried AntiCables for a very short stint just to see if all the hype was true but in my system they were nothing short of horrible.

No bass, too much treble and just plain wrong in all aspects of SQ.

Now I'm stuck with them forever because they were cheap enough to purchase and try but not worth attempting to resell because of the same. They now occupy a box full of similar bad memory purchases. :duh:

Come to think of it, I could make them into coat hangers and make some return on my investment 

MarkSpace

« Reply #63 on: 21 Mar 2014, 01:24 pm »
Hi,

I built a pair of NC400s each with its own SMPS600 in early 2013. The system round them is a laptop (MP3s and uncompressed WAVs) USB-feeding a Benchmark DAC1-USB, direct to the NC400s then on to PMC FB1+ speakers. Before the NC400s, I had a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amplifier in their place. It also gets used for TV, S/PDIF into the benchmark.

I do occasional bits of PA work for local bands and have rigged for various local events. So, I've got used to hearing various PA set ups. Before I got the NC400s, the day after an event the main things I used to notice about my home system were a lack of 'slam' (i.e. 'punch', or 'kick') and a lack of high frequency detail and energy. Clearly, the home system is smaller in scale than a PA, but I wanted it to sound just as lively and dynamic as the best of the PA systems I was hearing at local events. Having retired the Musical Fidelity and replaced it with the NC400s, I now have the 'slam' and all the detail I want. Put simply, the NC400 paints with a much wider sonic palette than the Musical Fidelity - it's capable of reproducing a wider range of sounds, particularly high frequencies. I can see why the NC400 has seen some use in recording studios (e.g. gearslutz) - it lets you hear an awful lot.

So, it's strongly recommended  :D.

Thanks,

Mark.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #64 on: 21 Mar 2014, 10:52 pm »
Hi,

I built a pair of NC400s each with its own SMPS600 in early 2013. The system round them is a laptop (MP3s and uncompressed WAVs) USB-feeding a Benchmark DAC1-USB, direct to the NC400s then on to PMC FB1+ speakers. Before the NC400s, I had a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amplifier in their place. It also gets used for TV, S/PDIF into the benchmark.

I do occasional bits of PA work for local bands and have rigged for various local events. So, I've got used to hearing various PA set ups. Before I got the NC400s, the day after an event the main things I used to notice about my home system were a lack of 'slam' (i.e. 'punch', or 'kick') and a lack of high frequency detail and energy. Clearly, the home system is smaller in scale than a PA, but I wanted it to sound just as lively and dynamic as the best of the PA systems I was hearing at local events. Having retired the Musical Fidelity and replaced it with the NC400s, I now have the 'slam' and all the detail I want. Put simply, the NC400 paints with a much wider sonic palette than the Musical Fidelity - it's capable of reproducing a wider range of sounds, particularly high frequencies. I can see why the NC400 has seen some use in recording studios (e.g. gearslutz) - it lets you hear an awful lot.

So, it's strongly recommended  :D .

Thanks,

Mark.
Glad you like them like us.   :green:   There is a bunch of info on this circle about them. 

Welcome to AC!