What commercial loudspeaker sounds most similar to an 1801f?

Foxyb

I am due to replace my ageing CD player and wish to take my amp along. However it is impractical to take my very heavy 1801f speakers into the demo room.

Are there any speakers I could ask the dealer to connect which would sound similar?

The sorts of ones I was thinking of might include a floorstanding Spendor, or a Dynaudio Contour 1.3.

Have you any suggestions

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2005, 04:26 pm »
Well... this is kinda' tough.

I really haven't heard anything that sounds extremely similar.  The closest thing I have heard is the Joseph Audio Plearl.  The midrange and highs of the Pearl are very similar, but the Pearl has obviously bettter bass.  Other than this, I really haven't heard anything commercial that sounds similar.

One gent mentioned that his Kharma Ceramique 2-way sounded similar to the 1801 in the mids and highs.  However, he preferred the bass from his Kharma's.

Unfortunately, both of these commercial speakers are quite rare.  I really think you should bring you 1801s to the audition.

Beyond this, I still think purchasing a CD player is an easy decision.  Buy an Anthem CD-1 used.  They are a killer unit, and even better following a few mods.  An even better unit is the S.F. CD 1 (terminology).  These are getting to about $1100.  Either will perform extremely admirably.

Dave

DrRasta

CD-1 mods
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:59 am »
Dave,

Any specifics on those cd-1 mods?  I've been using a stock one for years.

Thanks!

DrRasta

CD-1 mods
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:59 am »
Dave,

Any specifics on those cd-1 mods?  I've been using a stock one for years.

Thanks!

David Ellis

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:10 pm »
Ja' Sure,

I have been asked many times to address this.  I suppose it's time to go public with my thoughts.  To my knowlede 3-5 guys have accomplished my mods with very pleasing results.  Can you email me a digital picture of the inside of your CD-1.

I will then take a picture of my CD-1, and start a new string for these mods.  Before & After photo's would be very helpful.  Your picture would obviously be the Before photo.

The mods aren't terribly difficult.

salva

The Jamo D830
« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:55 pm »
Hi, I ended up with the Ellis because I saw (auditioned) the Jamo wich is using the same excel driver than us. I felt in love with the sound of the Jamo. IMMO The sound is quite similar to the ellis, hearing the Jamo D830 makes me feel that I'm at home.

Salva

David Ellis

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2005, 06:54 pm »
Oh, I forgot about that one.

It should indeed sound very similar.  The SEAS driver is an Excel, but not likely the same W18E001.  It's in a smaller cabinet, so there will be less bass reach, but the midrange should sound extremely similar.

Thanks Salva,

Dave

Foxyb

Have you any further suggestions?
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2005, 01:36 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions so far. Unfortunately the Joseph Audio and the Jamo speakers are near-impossible to get hold of up here.
We are limited to brands link Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Tannoy, ProAc etc.

Have you any further options for speakers I can get the dealer to hook up?

By the way, I will probably be looking at UK CD players eg. Cyrus CD8, Musical Fidelity X-Ray, Arcam CD192.
What do you think?

Regards,
John

Many thanks

melville

SFCD-1 mods
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2005, 04:55 pm »
I have had mods done to my SFCD-1 by Pcx, everything except upgraded tubes, which I already had.  It was absolutely worth it.  An already excellent CD player jumped a class.  I love this CD player (always did), and have no plans of future upgrades (to another player).  In fact, it is the only component, including cables, that has not changed since I got it.  I also had the laser assembly replaced.  These do not last forever.  I have a fully-modded (Modwright) Pioneer 47Ai for DVD, DVD-A and SACD duty.  The Redbook playback is actually pretty good with this unit, more dynamic with better bass, but not near the level of refinement of the SF, particularly in the mids and highs.

I had it done a couple of years ago, and I no longer have the itemized receipt.  I do remember, though, that a lot of it was replacing Capacitors and Resistors - lots of Riken, Black Gate and Auricap.

David Ellis

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2005, 05:27 pm »
Have you any further options for speakers I can get the dealer to hook up?

Well, Proac made a response 3.8 a few years ago.  I am not sure of the current model, but the old model had Scanspeak drivers.  This speaker is similar in quality, but not similar in character.  The Scanspeak drivers will sound lush and smooth.  The 1801 will sound more detailed.  So, while there isn't something that will sound the same, there is something commercially that uses similar cost drivers.   The OW1 tweeter is slightly more expensive, than the Scanspeak, but whe woofers cost the same $.  I am fairly certain that my crossover parts cost about 3x - 5x $ more than those found in the Proac.

I am sorry, but there really isn't anything on your list that will align with the 1801 sonically.

Also, I really don't know much about the CD players you mention, but do agree with Melville about the the S.F. unit.  These are very solid CD players.  I have the lesser Anthem, and it's a dandy performer.  I suspect you would be able to get one of these too.  They are somewhat common on the used market.