Shorting plugs? Cardas caps?

GordonJ

« on: 10 Aug 2004, 01:24 pm »
I'm continuing to discover ever more delights in my CD collection as the NOH reveals detail and subtlety I never knew was there.  But I do have one (fairly trivial) question.  If I switch the input selection to one of the currently 'spare' channels, its quite noisy - kind of a hissy hummy pink noisy thing.  Would shorting plugs in the inputs (a) be safe (excuse my ignorance about the details of trannies) and (b) get rid of this noise?  It doesn't seem to be having any adverse affect on the sound - there's almost no hiss detectable on the live channels even at max volume, but still...

Thanks

Gordon

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2004, 04:08 pm »
Hello!

Shorting plugs will not create any problem and likely would quiet that down. The noise on unused inputs selected is a system dependant thing. It is a result of the primary of the transformer being left floating when not connected to any input. Connecting the primary leads (via a short plug) should help out I expect. Cardas caps (although very nicely made) may not be shorting plugs. A simple cheap male rca plug shorted out would likely do the trick.

Thanks!

John

GordonJ

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2004, 08:03 am »
Thanks John, I'll give that a try, and cheap too...