Single Driver speakers on a budget .

nature boy

Re: Single Driver speakers on a budget .
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:22 pm »
Look into Caintuck Loudspeakers $350.00+shp for a basic finish. Randy is a great guy and I had a pair of DIY in my 11x15x8 room for a few  months.  Till I spent a lot more on Charney Audio horns.They are a single driver OB design and are super simple to set up. Sound great with either SS or tube gear.
http://www.caintuckaudio.com/
+2 great sounding speakers & easy to drive.

NB

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jan 2019, 10:25 pm »
Some years ago in Lethbridge Alberta an audio acquaintance had a pair of your Fonken monitors with an enabled driver (forget exactly which) and they sounded lovely.  He was powering them with a tiny 15w/ch Nu-Force amp.  I kept asking him whether his sub was on but he said no.  All around very balanced sound with great imaging.

That would be Stu. And likely a deciCHR-Ken with CHR70eN. He does have a set of Mileva, with the FE127eN — the original Fonken driver. Someday i have to get out there are pick those up.

dave

SET Man

« Reply #22 on: 16 Jan 2019, 02:40 am »
One of the biggest mistakes I've made over the years was selling a pair of Omega Grande 6 loudspeakers with the matching Omega sub.I'd like to
get back into a single driver loudspeaker.My room is 12 x 16 and I listen to mostly modern electric blues and classic rock.Bookshelf size speakers are
 perfered. I'm not a diy guy,and have a maximum budget of $500 new or used. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey!

I built my own back horn loaded with Fostex 167E drivers back in 2002 and I'm still using them and love them still.

I know that you said you're a a DIY guy but these kits from Madisound are all pre-cut and should be easy to assemble. I've never heard them but those back loaded horn kit look very good. The BK-16 and BK-20 look great. Anyway, just a thought.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/

Take care,
Buddy

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #23 on: 16 Jan 2019, 02:43 am »
BK16 & BK20 are really old designs from pre-2k before good hornmodelers came out  and targeted at drivers at least 3 generations old.. S. Some of the more modern designs offer better performance. But the Madisound flat-paks do go together nicely.

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 16 Jan 2019, 11:05 am »
On Omegas and Horns, the only horn sound I like are the dipole Frugal Horn XL that will fit a 6 or 7'' driver. It is a superb invention idea.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #25 on: 16 Jan 2019, 03:36 pm »
Frugel-Horn XL (note the “e” not an “a”.

A raer loaded horn, not a dipole. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/246248-frugel-horn-xl-alpair-10-3-10p-fostex-ff165wk.html

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #26 on: 16 Jan 2019, 08:38 pm »
What frugel means?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #27 on: 16 Jan 2019, 08:50 pm »
What frugel means?

Frugel is a cross between Frugel and Flugel(horn)

dave

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #28 on: 16 Jan 2019, 08:58 pm »
This makes sense, frugelhorn has a great midrange.