What are you currently listening to?

Napalm

Re: What are you currently listening to?
« Reply #160 on: 28 Apr 2010, 05:11 pm »
This if for Laundrew's ears only:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XwIWhc5AJc&feature=related

Their first CD is just out!

Nap.  :icon_twisted:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #161 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:44 pm »
Thanks vegasdave,im using CDs. I still have some of my vinyl but i have to say alot of the albums took some abuse during some of those crazy parties if you know what i mean, i didnt take care of things back then like i do now,live and learn right!! I framed some of my colored vinyl albums, ill include a pic in case you care. the pics not that great so ill give you the album names and label. . Deep Purple Machine Head( EMI label),Led Zeppelin (4)( Atlantic label),Stones sticky fingers,Stones some girls (stones label) The Who Who Are You (MCA),Beatles White Album (Apple Label),Beatles Magical Mystery Tour(EMI),J Geils Band Bloodshot(Atlantic),Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out(decca)    .....     have a good one,mc.

Cool, sounds good. Yes, I care. Nice pic.

vegasdave

« Reply #162 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:45 pm »
My tastes appear to align fairly close to 1ZIP and 1oldguy, but Laudrew and vegasdave - mmmmm, not so much - headbangers  :duh:.

ARTIST: RAY LaMONTAGNE

ALBUM: TROUBLE

SONG: Trouble

Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrZkaj37kA0

brucek

No, Laundrew plays a lot of Gothic stuff. I'm the headbanger!

vegasdave

« Reply #163 on: 28 Apr 2010, 06:46 pm »
Mott the Hoople-'Live' (LP)

Great classic-rock live album!  8)

brucek

« Reply #164 on: 28 Apr 2010, 07:31 pm »
Quote from: vegasdave
No, Laundrew plays a lot of Gothic stuff. I'm the headbanger!

OK, my bad.

I only played a few of your choices to establish the genre.

I just figured Laundrews stuff was the same from the album covers only. He conveniently doesn't include any links so we can have a listen, no doubt he's afraid we'll turn into a bat if we dare....  :wink:

brucek

1ZIP

« Reply #165 on: 28 Apr 2010, 08:11 pm »
Thanks vegasdave,im using CDs. I still have some of my vinyl but i have to say alot of the albums took some abuse during some of those crazy parties if you know what i mean, i didnt take care of things back then like i do now,live and learn right!! I framed some of my colored vinyl albums, ill include a pic in case you care. the pics not that great so ill give you the album names and label. . Deep Purple Machine Head( EMI label),Led Zeppelin (4)( Atlantic label),Stones sticky fingers,Stones some girls (stones label) The Who Who Are You (MCA),Beatles White Album (Apple Label),Beatles Magical Mystery Tour(EMI),J Geils Band Bloodshot(Atlantic),Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out(decca)    .....     have a good one,mc.

MC:

The LP's on the wall is a slick idea.  Nice job!

b5pt9

« Reply #166 on: 29 Apr 2010, 12:48 am »
Uh-oh I'm going through another Tool phase :rock: happens every month or so...  Undertow playing right now

mc

« Reply #167 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:10 am »

[/quote  Vegasdave,I dont know anyone other than my closest friends that i grew up with in cleveland that have ever heard of Mott the Hoople/Ian Hunter.I remember they played shows at the Cleveland Agora (a magical place) and some of the songs from those shows made onto there live albums.

1ZIP

« Reply #168 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:30 am »
"Rainy Night in Georgia" - Brook Benton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRKqfrct070&feature=related

mc

« Reply #169 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:31 am »

Vegasdave,I dont know anyone other than my closest friends that i grew up with in cleveland that have ever heard of Mott The Hoople/ Ian Hunter. I remember they played shows at the Cleveland Agora, and some of the songs from those shows made  it onto their live albums.

mc

« Reply #170 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:41 am »

Van Halen- Fair Warning

1ZIP

« Reply #171 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:45 am »
"The Well" - Jennifer Warnes

http://www.rhapsody.com/jennifer-warnes

1ZIP

« Reply #172 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:51 am »

Napalm

« Reply #173 on: 29 Apr 2010, 01:54 am »
Listening to the third movement of Paganini's violin concert no. 1. With the volume at 12PM. Ah, the joys of a well recorded CD (courtesy of Deutsche Gramophon).... it's actually not loud, except for the short moments when the sustaining orchestra goes full size.... ha that's how it should sound.....  :thumb:  :drool:

Incidentally, this is one of the most difficult pieces ever written for violin. Many have failed at it before, and some well known artists even left us vinyl and CD records of their lamentable screeches.....

Hilary isn't perfect either, as she is rather calculated and reticent in her approach, leading to a slower performance (when compared to a titan like Leonid Kogan) with little emotion conveyed. Technically though she is perfect. Not a single slip.

So if you want a recent, well recorded, technically excellent recording of Paganini's concerto, this is it.

If you want the most audacious interpretation possible, look for Leonid's one, but you'll have to put up with the recording quality @ cca 1953.

Nap.  :thumb:

mc

« Reply #174 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:09 am »
Moody Blues - "In search of the Lost Chord"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEMZteFjWc&feature=related

Ahhhhhh!  Sweet memories of a beautiful time.
Whats up 1ZIP,i just wanted to say thanks for the compliment on the albums i framed. Also i see your a moody blues fan i think i have around 10 moody blues cds. i have to be in the moody blues mood to listen but when that mood hits it works!!

mc

« Reply #175 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:28 am »

Stevie Ray Vaughan---Couldnt Stand The Weather---SACD

b5pt9

« Reply #176 on: 29 Apr 2010, 02:59 am »
Listening to the third movement of Paganini's violin concert no. 1. With the volume at 12PM. Ah, the joys of a well recorded CD (courtesy of Deutsche Gramophon).... it's actually not loud, except for the short moments when the sustaining orchestra goes full size.... ha that's how it should sound.....  :thumb:  :drool:

Incidentally, this is one of the most difficult pieces ever written for violin. Many have failed at it before, and some well known artists even left us vinyl and CD records of their lamentable screeches.....

Hilary isn't perfect either, as she is rather calculated and reticent in her approach, leading to a slower performance (when compared to a titan like Leonid Kogan) with little emotion conveyed. Technically though she is perfect. Not a single slip.

So if you want a recent, well recorded, technically excellent recording of Paganini's concerto, this is it.

If you want the most audacious interpretation possible, look for Leonid's one, but you'll have to put up with the recording quality @ cca 1953.

Nap.  :thumb:

Thanks for the tip; I'm just getting into classical music and have Paganini No.3,4 on Naxos label that I quite like

1ZIP

« Reply #177 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:06 am »

Stevie Ray Vaughan---Couldnt Stand The Weather---SACD

That's a pricey one, $61.00 on Amazon!

vegasdave

« Reply #178 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:09 am »
Vegasdave,I dont know anyone other than my closest friends that i grew up with in cleveland that have ever heard of Mott The Hoople/ Ian Hunter. I remember they played shows at the Cleveland Agora, and some of the songs from those shows made  it onto their live albums.

Cool. I dig Mott the Hoople. Ian Hunter too. Yeah, Ian and Mott are kind of cult artists here in the US. Nevertheless, great stuff!

vegasdave

« Reply #179 on: 29 Apr 2010, 03:11 am »
OK, my bad.

I only played a few of your choices to establish the genre.

I just figured Laundrews stuff was the same from the album covers only. He conveniently doesn't include any links so we can have a listen, no doubt he's afraid we'll turn into a bat if we dare....  :wink:

brucek

No problem.