What are you currently listening to?

JeffMO

Re: What are you currently listening to?
« Reply #3580 on: 19 Apr 2013, 02:24 am »
I've seen references to the fact that the Black Keys are similar to the White Stripes with whom I am very familiar. What are your thoughts about comparisons between the two groups?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3581 on: 19 Apr 2013, 02:54 am »
I've seen references to the fact that the Black Keys are similar to the White Stripes with whom I am very familiar. What are your thoughts about comparisons between the two groups?

The Black Keys aren't as adventurous or as intense as the dearly departed White Stripes to my way of thinking. The Keys sure as hell aren't as arty either for better or worse. I remember reading a review once of a band I really enjoy called Clutch. The reviewer described them as "System Of A Down for your Dad". Same deal with the Black Keys vs. The White Stripes.
But that's just my opinion ...and I could be wrong. :green:

D.D.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #3582 on: 19 Apr 2013, 10:26 am »

Colour Haze ~Temple~

Came across this interesting band while surfing YouTube earlier in the week, ordered a CD and it arrived yesterday.

Be well...

Laundrew

« Reply #3583 on: 20 Apr 2013, 11:32 am »

May Blitz ~May Blitz~

Laundrew

« Reply #3584 on: 20 Apr 2013, 12:13 pm »

The Dreamside ~The 13TH Chapter~

Laundrew

« Reply #3585 on: 20 Apr 2013, 01:05 pm »

RUSH ~2112~

PierreB

« Reply #3586 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:03 pm »

Laundrew

« Reply #3587 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:46 pm »

Rush ~A farewell To Kings~

BrysTony

« Reply #3588 on: 20 Apr 2013, 04:03 pm »
The Black Keys aren't as adventurous or as intense as the dearly departed White Stripes to my way of thinking. The Keys sure as hell aren't as arty either for better or worse. I remember reading a review once of a band I really enjoy called Clutch. The reviewer described them as "System Of A Down for your Dad". Same deal with the Black Keys vs. The White Stripes.
But that's just my opinion ...and I could be wrong. :green:

D.D.

When I post in this topic it is always an album that I particularly enjoy.  The Black Keys are currently my favorite rock group and IMHO "El Camino" is a very good album.  With that said I should say that I am an old dude that has been enjoying rock music since it was created so maybe the Black Keys are "Dad's" rock group.  I am not familiar with White Stripes.

Tony

Laundrew

« Reply #3589 on: 20 Apr 2013, 06:12 pm »

Rush ~Caress Of Steel~

Laundrew

« Reply #3590 on: 21 Apr 2013, 12:47 pm »

ThouShaltNot ~The White Beyond~

Laundrew

« Reply #3591 on: 21 Apr 2013, 10:45 pm »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3592 on: 21 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm »
When I post in this topic it is always an album that I particularly enjoy.  The Black Keys are currently my favorite rock group and IMHO "El Camino" is a very good album.  With that said I should say that I am an old dude that has been enjoying rock music since it was created so maybe the Black Keys are "Dad's" rock group.  I am not familiar with White Stripes.

Tony

Hi Tony: I enjoy them both, myself. Each has it's own charms. Live, I'd give the edge to the White Stripes. A lot of bands should be so lucky as to put out an album as good as El Camino in their careers.
The thing I like best about both of these bands is that they haven't lost the connection to what made a lot of that early music you refer to so potent. And so timeless.

D.D.

JfTM

« Reply #3593 on: 22 Apr 2013, 07:02 pm »
John Lisi

PRELUDE

« Reply #3594 on: 22 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm »

JeffMO

« Reply #3595 on: 22 Apr 2013, 11:13 pm »
Hi Tony: I enjoy them both, myself. Each has it's own charms. Live, I'd give the edge to the White Stripes. A lot of bands should be so lucky as to put out an album as good as El Camino in their careers.
The thing I like best about both of these bands is that they haven't lost the connection to what made a lot of that early music you refer to so potent. And so timeless.

D.D.

Diamond Dog and BrysTony many thanks for the Black Keys suggestion. I just acquired El Camino and am enjoying it immensely! Great music and thanks again for the recommendation. I will be checking out their "Brothers" album next.

I can hear some similarities to the Stripes but they are different enough to be unique. After watching the documentary "It Might Get Loud" about the Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White I have even more appreciation for Jack White and his music with the Stripes, The Raconteurs and as a solo artist but I like the Black Keys better. And this is from someone who has four Stripes albums and "Broken Boy Soldiers" by The Raconteurs. You guys rock!

Please continue with the recommendations.

JeffMO

« Reply #3596 on: 22 Apr 2013, 11:28 pm »

Got this over the weekend. Thanks for the alert!

BrysTony

« Reply #3597 on: 23 Apr 2013, 06:59 pm »
Diamond Dog and BrysTony many thanks for the Black Keys suggestion. I just acquired El Camino and am enjoying it immensely! Great music and thanks again for the recommendation. I will be checking out their "Brothers" album next.

I can hear some similarities to the Stripes but they are different enough to be unique. After watching the documentary "It Might Get Loud" about the Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White I have even more appreciation for Jack White and his music with the Stripes, The Raconteurs and as a solo artist but I like the Black Keys better. And this is from someone who has four Stripes albums and "Broken Boy Soldiers" by The Raconteurs. You guys rock!

Please continue with the recommendations.

JeffMO,

Glad you are enjoying "El Camino".  In case you do not know, that album won three 2013 Grammy Awards for Best Rock Album, Best Rock Song (Lonely Boy) and best Rock Performance (Lonely Boy).

Tony

BrysTony

« Reply #3598 on: 23 Apr 2013, 07:01 pm »
Got this over the weekend. Thanks for the alert!

:thumb:

Tony

Laundrew

« Reply #3599 on: 23 Apr 2013, 09:42 pm »

Sarah McLachlan ~Wintersong~