• http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1961 on: 18 Feb 2015, 12:14 am »
Thanks I thought they looked like Target stands

James

gene9p

« Reply #1962 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:49 pm »
here 's final placement photo.....ran them 8 hours yesterday and will continue break in period over the next few days. Will replay same music tonight after running them all day today while I am out. I got to admit, it is really hard to tell these are vinyl finish. They look that good.

ps. Velodyne sub not used in 2 channel music. It is for HT use only.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #1963 on: 18 Feb 2015, 03:55 pm »
Hi Gene

Yes I think vinyl gets a bad rap theses days - the newer quality vinyls are hard to tell apart from real wood veneers.

Looking forward to your assessment.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1964 on: 19 Feb 2015, 11:49 am »
HI Folks,

Sneak Peak:

Mini A speaker review due out next week:

"This is quite amazing accomplishment at this price point, and it makes me wonder what Bryston has done at the higher end of the speaker line.

The Bryston Mini A, at $1200 a pair, is a class leader in my opinion."

gene9p

« Reply #1965 on: 19 Feb 2015, 03:40 pm »
here's a look at the damage to the one speaker. I have touched up the back with a little brown wax and will give it a few more coats and polish it. This way when it's time to return these or if someone buys them here, they will look much better than the original damage photos. Please note, the damage is cosmetic only an does not affect the speaker performance in any way.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1966 on: 19 Feb 2015, 03:43 pm »
Thanks Gene - looks much better.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1967 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:31 pm »

...yes, looks like the speaker needs some kind of first aid :wink:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1968 on: 21 Feb 2015, 12:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

Sneak Peak - Check this out - it is the polar response of the Bryston Mini A speaker soon to be published in a review. - he calls it a "little Jewell"

james
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2015, 04:46 am by James Tanner »

gene9p

« Reply #1969 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:15 pm »
looks obscene..LOL.
Still breaking in the Mini A's, close to 30 hours now. They will be running most of the day again today. Hope to sit down with them tomorrow for a while, but still want to give them a few more days before some serious listening. I love the classic look of them. I keep the grilles off so I can admire them even when watching tv.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1970 on: 21 Feb 2015, 01:46 pm »
Coming Soon:

Here's some non-CES goodness:

Action shots of axial and polar measurements of Bryston's Mini-A in my living room.

Without giving too much away, their "Family of Curves" talk is more than just talk. These compact 3-ways have extraordinarily broad and even dispersion.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1971 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:06 pm »
looks obscene..LOL.
Still breaking in the Mini A's, close to 30 hours now. They will be running most of the day again today. Hope to sit down with them tomorrow for a while, but still want to give them a few more days before some serious listening. I love the classic look of them. I keep the grilles off so I can admire them even when watching tv.

Hi Gene

I like the look as well and as far as I know this is the smallest "True 3-Way" I am aware of.

james

TomS

« Reply #1972 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:06 pm »
James,

Very nice. What software do you use to capture the polars?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1973 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:09 pm »
James,

Very nice. What software do you use to capture the polars?

Hi Tom

These are not my measurements - they are the reviewers - the review does cover what measuring tools he used but will not be out for a week or two.

james

TomS

« Reply #1974 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:45 pm »
Hi Tom

These are not my measurements - they are the reviewers - the review does cover what measuring tools he used but will not be out for a week or two.

james

Thanks! I'll take a look in a couple weeks.

gene9p

« Reply #1975 on: 22 Feb 2015, 04:37 pm »
Started some listening last night. Toed in speakers slightly and that improved imaging and sound stage. Played cd's only from krell through the BdA 1 Dac. Started with Struntz and Farah's HEAT OF THE NIGHT. The guitars sounded very life like and detailed. The sound of these speakers are very different than my B&W 805 sig's so I will not try to compare them as planned but concentrate on the Mini A's on their own. I followed with David Benoit's HERE'S TO YOU CHARLIE BROWN which was so detailed and different from any way I had ever heard this cd before. If you don't own this cd, pick it up. Everything, instruments, guitars , piano, keyboards, and even the vocals was astonishing. I could swear I heard details and instruments and sounds that I never experienced in the many times I have listened to this disc over the years with several different speakers and electronics. I followed that up with Joe Sample's SAMPLE THIS. This disc seemed to be lacking something. First I thought that perhaps adding my subwoofer might improve the sound but decided that perhaps my medium volume listening might be the issue. So I turned up the JC2 slightly and WOW did the speakers sing. Seems that they like being played loud, or in my setup ,just a little louder than my normal volume and listening levels. Next I played Tony Bennet's SIMPLY FRANK. It was like Tony was right here in my room. This is also a great cd to own as the vocals and orchestration are fantastic. Tony's voice which can be pretty sour and flat at times ,came across with all it's beauty and ugliness that might make him wish he re-cut some of the songs if he heard them on the MINI A's.

Still a long way to go and some more break in, but right now they are very impressive . Next I will try a combo of LP's and cd's and then as fronts in my HT.

James,
perhaps you can fill me on these speakers history
serial numbers

4711803143001 and 002

there were small screws stuck to one of the grilles that are magnetized. They match the screws of the tweeter

thanks,

Gene

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1976 on: 22 Feb 2015, 05:13 pm »
Started some listening last night. Toed in speakers slightly and that improved imaging and sound stage. Played cd's only from krell through the BdA 1 Dac. Started with Struntz and Farah's HEAT OF THE NIGHT. The guitars sounded very life like and detailed. The sound of these speakers are very different than my B&W 805 sig's so I will not try to compare them as planned but concentrate on the Mini A's on their own. I followed with David Benoit's HERE'S TO YOU CHARLIE BROWN which was so detailed and different from any way I had ever heard this cd before. If you don't own this cd, pick it up. Everything, instruments, guitars , piano, keyboards, and even the vocals was astonishing. I could swear I heard details and instruments and sounds that I never experienced in the many times I have listened to this disc over the years with several different speakers and electronics. I followed that up with Joe Sample's SAMPLE THIS. This disc seemed to be lacking something. First I thought that perhaps adding my subwoofer might improve the sound but decided that perhaps my medium volume listening might be the issue. So I turned up the JC2 slightly and WOW did the speakers sing. Seems that they like being played loud, or in my setup ,just a little louder than my normal volume and listening levels. Next I played Tony Bennet's SIMPLY FRANK. It was like Tony was right here in my room. This is also a great cd to own as the vocals and orchestration are fantastic. Tony's voice which can be pretty sour and flat at times ,came across with all it's beauty and ugliness that might make him wish he re-cut some of the songs if he heard them on the MINI A's.

Still a long way to go and some more break in, but right now they are very impressive . Next I will try a combo of LP's and cd's and then as fronts in my HT.

James,
perhaps you can fill me on these speakers history
serial numbers

4711803143001 and 002

there were small screws stuck to one of the grilles that are magnetized. They match the screws of the tweeter

thanks,

Gene

Hi Gene

Thanks for the feedback - glad you are enjoying them

There is not much history as they were sold about 2 months ago to AA and they have been using them as demos.  Not sure what the screw issue is - there are no missing screws I assume?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1977 on: 22 Feb 2015, 05:14 pm »
Hi James

Listening to some older "live" John Mayer on my Middle T's - match made in heaven James. These speakers are so much fun to listen to. They are playing quite loud and my wife approves as do my young boys. All are enjoying this morn as we enjoy our morning before we go sledding.

Speakers are really coming into their own!!!!

Mayors guitar is bang, voice is big smooth and precise, drummers efforts are crazy real, kick drum is presented in a very powerful accurate manner, the dual 8's keep right up with regardless of what he throws at them. Mayor has a lot going in his recordings and speakers don't miss a single beat.  So much fun to listen to......

Just thought I would share how impressed I am.

Sincerely,
Greg Gauthier
President & System Designer
Prestige Audio Visual Design Group Inc.

gene9p

« Reply #1978 on: 22 Feb 2015, 05:17 pm »
Hi Gene

Thanks for the feedback - glad you are enjoying them

There is not much history as they were sold about 2 months ago to AA and they have been using them as demos.  Not sure what the screw issue is - there are no missing screws I assume/

james

no....perhaps when installing the tweeters a couple a screws got "lost" because they were drawn to inside of the removable grille that is magnetized.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1979 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:25 pm »
Thanks! I'll take a look in a couple weeks.

Hi Tom

I just received the full review which should go live next month - I must say it it the most thorough review I have seen in a long time - the measurements vs the listening experience is really well done.

james