Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1480 on: 22 Nov 2013, 09:45 pm »
I assume Paradigm knows how to manufacture a speaker.  They make a higher quality speaker than Axiom.

Hi

I disagree - Paradigm does it their way - Axiom does it their way and Bryston does it their way. Its up to the listener to decide what sounds best to him or her. Speakers like amplifiers do not have any magic bullets - you make decisions based on what you think matters most in your specific design to get the end result you desire.

The whole reason I decided to go with Axiom as my partner on the speaker project was the expert design facilities (anechoic chamber) they had, the terrific engineering people and I audition a set of M80 speakers at $1500 a pair!  Christ it put speakers at 3 times their price to shame (and boy I have listened to a lot of speakers in my time). These people know what they are doing and because they can build a cost effective speaker that sounds and performs superbly was really important to me.

In the end most of what contributes to the sound of a loudspeaker in a room is the measured "family of curves" (sound power) or radiation polar response and the power it can handle without distortion. 

james

Hiker

« Reply #1481 on: 22 Nov 2013, 10:47 pm »
The Canadian speaker manufactures, especially Paradigm and Axiom, make some good products when you consider their price vs. so many of the over-priced and over-hyped European brands.   Listening to the sound of a speaker is certainly important if one really knows (most don't) how to determine if the sound is accurate and natural.  A bass reflex design creates cabinet resonances and back-wave distortion (especially adversely affecting mid-range quality) and manufactures use the resulting sound  to make the buyer think he/she is hearing natural sound when in fact they are actually hearing resonances and distortion make to sound good, so they think.  Also important is build quality of the cabinet and drivers including the appearance of the finished product.   To the latter, Paradigm's S8 and S6 and their new Tribute far out-class Axiom's M80.       

mrhyfy

« Reply #1482 on: 22 Nov 2013, 10:54 pm »
, Paradigm's S8 and S6 and their new Tribute far out-class Axiom's M80.       

I agree that those Paradigm products "outclass" the Axiom M80,,,they should considering the massive price difference.  I like Bryston,Paradigm and Axiom products. I've noticed that Paradigm speakers seem to have lost interest amongst audiophiles!!IMHO

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1483 on: 22 Nov 2013, 11:04 pm »
The Canadian speaker manufactures, especially Paradigm and Axiom, make some good products when you consider their price vs. so many of the over-priced and over-hyped European brands.   Listening to the sound of a speaker is certainly important if one really knows (most don't) how to determine if the sound is accurate and natural.  A bass reflex design creates cabinet resonances and back-wave distortion (especially adversely affecting mid-range quality) and manufactures use the resulting sound  to make the buyer think he/she is hearing natural sound when in fact they are actually hearing resonances and distortion make to sound good, so they think.  Also important is build quality of the cabinet and drivers including the appearance of the finished product.   To the latter, Paradigm's S8 and S6 and their new Tribute far out-class Axiom's M80.       

Mechanical resonances and such can be measured and dealt with utilizing accelerometers and measuring tools and  properly braced... plus EVERY material has a resonance frequency.  Its how you deal with it and compensate for it - for instance the ear is much more sensitive to a high frequency resonance as opposed to a low frequency resonance.  So you place your braces at the location in the cabinet that produces the lowest resonance at the lowest amplitude.

I also disagree as well that you can not characterise all ported systems as having midrange colouration.  If there was one way to build a perfect speaker that company would be the winner all others would be gone and there would be one speaker design in the world.

Also when you say 'outclass' - certainly not in the performance arena

May I ask what speakers you own?

james
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2013, 01:02 am by James Tanner »

Hiker

« Reply #1484 on: 23 Nov 2013, 01:32 am »
James, I own PMC speakers.  I believe that a transmission line, if properly designed, offers the least cabinet resonance with essentially no back-wave caused distortion resulting in better bass and clearer mid-range.     

Hiker

« Reply #1485 on: 23 Nov 2013, 01:56 am »

I've noticed that Paradigm speakers seem to have lost interest amongst audiophiles!!IMHO

James, you are in a better position to know than me.  But if anyone is shopping for a new speakers in the $6,000+/- range they should investigate the new Paradigm Tribute 30th Anniversary in Dark Garnet Gloss finish.  It is a 91 lb. beauty with cabinet construction quality, finishing excellence,  and driver performance that may not be matched for less than $10,000, e.g., why pay almost that much for an Aerial 7t.  I don't know if it sounds better than the Bryston Middle T for about the same price but I know which one I would buy and place in my living room. 

PRELUDE

« Reply #1486 on: 23 Nov 2013, 04:54 am »

I agree that those Paradigm products "outclass" the Axiom M80,,,they should considering the massive price difference.  I like Bryston,Paradigm and Axiom products. I've noticed that Paradigm speakers seem to have lost interest amongst audiophiles!!IMHO
I do not think that Paradigm ever considered as a good speakers. They are just speakers like some others.
OK, let's say their studio 100 v2 was so far better then anything else they ever made.

PRELUDE

« Reply #1487 on: 23 Nov 2013, 05:18 am »
James, you are in a better position to know than me.  But if anyone is shopping for a new speakers in the $6,000+/- range they should investigate the new Paradigm Tribute 30th Anniversary in Dark Garnet Gloss finish.  It is a 91 lb. beauty with cabinet construction quality, finishing excellence,  and driver performance that may not be matched for less than $10,000, e.g., why pay almost that much for an Aerial 7t.  I don't know if it sounds better than the Bryston Middle T for about the same price but I know which one I would buy and place in my living room.
I told this to many close friends that never ever pay more then $2500 for Paradigm!
You can ask me why?
What do you like the most about the Aerial7T?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1488 on: 23 Nov 2013, 10:47 am »

Hi Hiker

Sonic excellence was my main goal with the Model T series speakers at a price point mere mortals could afford.

If I had to build my own factory and buy the gear required to test and manufacture speakers the Model T speakers would be 3 times their price.  Working with Axiom saves our customers many thousands of dollars with no performance downside.  I agree that people buy products for other reasons than performance. My favorite saying is “People do not buy a Rolex to tell the time”.  There is pride of ownership involved, bragging rights, cosmetics etc. but there are many less expensive watches that keep time just as well. 

The Model T at $6000 weighs 108 pounds each which is a function of cabinet construction, driver magnet sizes, driver quality, crossover accuracy, parts tolerances etc.  I agree that the Model T series is far more utilitarian that many other speakers out there but I decided early on that state of the art sonic performance was my main objective – form follows function as they say.  I certainly recognized that cosmetics matter more to some than performance when it comes to what they place in their living room – just look at the custom install market where speakers are placed in walls and ceilings and behind furniture and they call that high end audio!

james

mrhyfy

« Reply #1489 on: 23 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm »
I do not think that Paradigm ever considered as a good speakers. They are just speakers like some others.
OK, let's say their studio 100 v2 was so far better then anything else they ever made.

Prelude,, when I conceded that the Paradigm speakers "outclassed" the Axioms, I was referring only to the much more expensive ones mentioned by Hiker.  To me "outclassed" could include appearance, fit and finish etc.  It is not limited to sonic performance and certainly NOT value.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1490 on: 23 Nov 2013, 02:19 pm »
James, I own PMC speakers.  I believe that a transmission line, if properly designed, offers the least cabinet resonance with essentially no back-wave caused distortion resulting in better bass and clearer mid-range.   

Hi Hiker

Great speakers and the the IB2 PMC was my reference when I developed the model T.  I had modified my PMC's to be fully Active using two Bryston 10B crossovers and 7Bs and 4B amplifiers for each separate driver. 

Like any design though there are plus and minus aspects to transmission-line designs.  In fact I would say that transmission line design leans more towards the designers talents than pure science.  The type of foam used and the amount as well as the length of the transmission line seriously affect the final outcome.  There is a lot of trial and error involved and Peter Thomas at PMC is one of the best at getting this technology to work in my opinion.  There is back pressure though in these designs as well and PMC does use a sealed midrange container for the same reasons as most other designs do.  There is also the issue of the out of phase signal as a result of the transmission line delay.

Anyway great speaker and I applaud your choice. :thumb:

james

Hiker

« Reply #1491 on: 23 Nov 2013, 02:59 pm »
Hi Hiker

Sonic excellence was my main goal with the Model T series speakers at a price point mere mortals could afford.

If I had to build my own factory and buy the gear required to test and manufacture speakers the Model T speakers would be 3 times their price.  Working with Axiom saves our customers many thousands of dollars with no performance downside.  I agree that people buy products for other reasons than performance. My favorite saying is “People do not buy a Rolex to tell the time”.  There is pride of ownership involved, bragging rights, cosmetics etc. but there are many less expensive watches that keep time just as well. 

The Model T at $6000 weighs 108 pounds each which is a function of cabinet construction, driver magnet sizes, driver quality, crossover accuracy, parts tolerances etc.  I agree that the Model T series is far more utilitarian that many other speakers out there but I decided early on that state of the art sonic performance was my main objective – form follows function as they say.  I certainly recognized that cosmetics matter more to some than performance when it comes to what they place in their living room – just look at the custom install market where speakers are placed in walls and ceilings and behind furniture and they call that high end audio!

james

James, your logic and reasons for using an existing manufacturer like Axiom in your country makes perfect business sense.  Other speaker manufacturers have made investments years ago and have amortized that cost so that they are competitive today.  Also, many make their products in-house and so they also don't have to pay a middle-man.

The sound quality today from the various speaker manufacturers has enabled audiophiles to obtain 'never before' heard sound quality at fairly reasonable costs.  Of course every manufacturer says their product is the best for one reason or another.  Other than sound there can be and are real differences in cabinet construction and finish appearance.  Given the similarity in sound performance this can be the deciding factor for many customers.  Maybe call the it 'feel good' factor. 

Yes, a Timex will keep good time.  But who wants to wear one rather than a Rolex.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1492 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:25 pm »
James, your logic and reasons for using an existing manufacturer like Axiom in your country makes perfect business sense.  Other speaker manufacturers have made investments years ago and have amortized that cost so that they are competitive today.  Also, many make their products in-house and so they also don't have to pay a middle-man.

The sound quality today from the various speaker manufacturers has enabled audiophiles to obtain 'never before' heard sound quality at fairly reasonable costs.  Of course every manufacturer says their product is the best for one reason or another.  Other than sound there can be and are real differences in cabinet construction and finish appearance.  Given the similarity in sound performance this can be the deciding factor for many customers.  Maybe call the it 'feel good' factor. 

Yes, a Timex will keep good time.  But who wants to wear one rather than a Rolex.

I  wear a Timex and am proud of it and I usually show up on time.   :icon_lol:

james

Hiker

« Reply #1493 on: 23 Nov 2013, 03:45 pm »
Very few manufacturers of quality audio gear have executives who are accessible and willing to engage in meaningful dialogue with existing customers and potential new customers.   This has value and is something you can't put a price on.   Even if they do prefer a Timex over a Rolex.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1494 on: 23 Nov 2013, 05:14 pm »
Hi Folks,

Moving on - I got a copy of a review in a major magazine that reviewed the Bryston Mini T's,  BP17 Preamp and 28B SST2 amps as a complete Bryston system.

Here is a sneak preview:

My experience with this system (Bryston Mini T speakers, BP17 preamp and 28BSST² amplifiers) has forever reshaped my reference and I look forward to comparing other systems to this benchmark. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1495 on: 25 Nov 2013, 09:22 pm »

sfraser

« Reply #1496 on: 26 Nov 2013, 04:05 pm »
Nice review James. I wish the Audio Shop in Ottawa would get a set of Bryston demo  speakers in. i would sure like to give them a listen.

Scott

Beatles

« Reply #1497 on: 26 Nov 2013, 09:10 pm »
buy the gear required to test and manufacture speakers the Model T speakers would be 3 times their price.  Working with Axiom saves our customers many thousands of dollars with no performance downside. 

That is EXACTLY why the Brystons are the true giant killers they are.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1498 on: 6 Dec 2013, 04:33 pm »
Mini T Speaker Review in Absolute Sound Magazine:

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2013_12_Review_Absolute_Mini_T.pdf

Biggarthomas

« Reply #1499 on: 15 Dec 2013, 06:09 am »
I agree with James about Paradigm/Axiom being all about a matter of personal taste. I owned Axiom M80s for one year and then traded up to the M100s. My wife didn't like the M100s but she fell in love with the  Paradigm Sig8s. I bought a pair of the Paradigms and absolutely love them. After returning the M100s, Axiom returned the difference in cost between the 80s and the 100s, they also sent me a new pair of M80 ( I presume that they had unloaded my original M80s.

I just sold the M80s for $400 below list price but, I cannot lie, I feld a deep sense of nostalgia for them. They have a stronger backbone to their sound than the Sigs which are more refined but in my opinion, you have to go as far up the ladder to the Sig8s in order to find a better speaker than the M80s. I'd buy them again - no question.

I have not heard the Brystons but, at the time that I was returning the M100s fervently wished that the Bryston Model As were out so that I could compare. Too late though. And the Model Ts are too big for my wife. Even though the room is pretty big - I would not even mention the Model Ts to her!! I have separate 2-channel and surround sound rooms, I've got a complete Axiom setup for surround. Once Bryston comes out with its Model A set, I'm going to give it a listen. On the other hand, I might just swap out my M22s for Mini Ts.

I don't change my gear very frequently, the past year has been a complete anomaly. The Sig8s are staying put - they ain't shabby, I'll tell you that.