• http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1120 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:27 pm »
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:47 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: Bryston Model T Speakers - Q&A

Thank you James, very informative!

FYI:

A very close family friend from Italy called me two nights ago to ask if I could get him a pair of Model T’s.  I replied that they are brand new, I would have to check with BRYSTON, but out of curiosity…”Why are you looking at these and what did you hear!?”

Interesting response James;  he said and he quoted websites that I hadn’t heard or read …that the Model ‘T’ is quite the buzz on the forums and chat rooms, and his main concern was, do I need 7B, or can I use 4B SST !  As you know I am in the audio business and told him I could get him whatever he wanted without issue, even if he insisted on XXXX…but maybe look at XXXX monitor since it is compact, with power, or to SAVE MONEY, I have a few pairs of brand new XXXX and a brand new pair of XXXX which I would give him for my sample cost.

NOPE, I want the ‘T’, do I send you a check, or do you want cash?

So James, it seems, and this is not an audiophile guy, but a 30 year old who said he mainly listens to music and rarely watches movies…the message is getting out there.

Coincidentally, his cousin in Italy, sent me an e-mail on Wednesday saying that ‘Bryston is doing it right’…and he is a CRAZY audiophile, changing gear like underwear.

PS: He wants to order them in veneer!

Good job,  James!

Wayne

95Dyna

« Reply #1121 on: 2 Apr 2013, 03:05 pm »
James,

I love the Zebrawood finish.  I know the standard veneers are $1K extra.  What would be the price for this option?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
« Reply #1122 on: 2 Apr 2013, 03:14 pm »
James,

I love the Zebrawood finish.  I know the standard veneers are $1K extra.  What would be the price for this option?

I have not got a firm price yet but I assume the same as Rosewood - $1000 a pair more than the standard wood finish.

james

ec

« Reply #1123 on: 3 Apr 2013, 03:31 am »
James, 

FYI I noticed the specs you posted on reply 1093 are different than the pdf listed here: ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/brochures/HT_SPEAKER.pdf

I haven't looked at all the specs but just the ones from the model, middle and mini T's.  More specifically the freq response(s).  The specs on reply 1093 look like the correct ones especially for low end extension on the mini and middle T's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1124 on: 3 Apr 2013, 10:28 am »
James, 

FYI I noticed the specs you posted on reply 1093 are different than the pdf listed here: ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/brochures/HT_SPEAKER.pdf

I haven't looked at all the specs but just the ones from the model, middle and mini T's.  More specifically the freq response(s).  The specs on reply 1093 look like the correct ones especially for low end extension on the mini and middle T's.

Hi ec

The latest specs are correct - the brochure was just filler until the final version.

james

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #1125 on: 3 Apr 2013, 08:44 pm »
Hi James,

Any chance of the model T crossing the atlantic any time soon?

Cheers,
Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1126 on: 3 Apr 2013, 08:53 pm »
Hi James,

Any chance of the model T crossing the atlantic any time soon?

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,

Our distributors in China, Malaysia and Singapore now have speakers on display and for sale but it is up to each distributor in each country as to whether they want to carry the speakers.  Going forward we may have to make some changes in our distribution network as some distributors already have speakers or have no interest in doing the Bryston speakers.

james

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #1127 on: 3 Apr 2013, 09:21 pm »
Did not realise that this was the issue. mafico does have the vastly expensive (and rather hideous) Avantgarde speakers in their lineup. Will let them know there would be real interest in the speaker. In fact I am waiting for this as I want to hear the model T's before committing to a similarly priced PMC. My current dream system would be the BHA 14bsst2 model T combination.

Thanks for the info,
Bob

Marius

« Reply #1128 on: 4 Apr 2013, 06:54 am »
Have asked already, couple of times actually.....  so a big +1 for this Bob.
same goes for the BDA/BDP2. still no sight of those?

Did not realise that this was the issue. mafico does have the vastly expensive (and rather hideous) Avantgarde speakers in their lineup. Will let them know there would be real interest in the speaker. In fact I am waiting for this as I want to hear the model T's before committing to a similarly priced PMC. My current dream system would be the BHA 14bsst2 model T combination.

Thanks for the info,
Bob

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #1129 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:41 pm »
Now that PMC is introducing the Fact 12, things are getting really interesting!  :singing:

Bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1130 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:41 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Speakers - Review

April, 2013

By Lam Seng Fatt

"Can a company famed for making reliable and good amps design speakers? That will be the question on everyone’s mind when they approach the Bryston Model T speakers.

To set the record straight, Bryston is not the first amplifier manufacturer to venture into making speakers. Krell tried that many years ago and some say that was what maimed the company before a venture capital firm bought it up and forced out the founder.

But Bryston is in another league simply because all the products it launched in the past few years had been winners – from the flagship 28B SST mono-blocks to the headphone amp/preamp.

The Model T speakers have continued Bryston’s winning streak. It seems some people ordered them before they were even officially launched.

Before I went to the AV Designs showroom to listen to them, I was already warned that they look ugly, but sound surprisingly good. One well known hi-fi guru commented that they sounded “sweet”.

At the showroom, James played several tracks on a demo system comprising the Bryston BDP-2 digital music player, Bryston BDA-2 DAC, BP-17 preamp and 4B SST2 power amp with Wywires cabling and the signature edition of the Bryston Model T speakers.

The first few tracks were old pop recordings and I thought they sounded decent with rounded-off leading edges. Then he played songs that were better recorded and the leading edges sounded snappy and swift. Cymbals and violins sounded clean, perhaps a tad too clean. But there was no metallic distortion given that the twin tweeters use metal domes. And the bass packed quite a wallop and is rated to go down to 25Hz

When he played classical music, I thought the speakers sounded very dynamic with the contrast between soloists and the whole orchestra highlighted impressively.

Then he saved Dire Straits’ Money For Nothing for the last and turned the volume up high. The speakers could play real loud – they were at dance-club loudness level and yet there was no distortion. Everything still sounded clean – very loud, but clean.

The external crossover box:

The signature version of the Model T has an external passive crossover in the form of a box. This costs RM 3,900 more, but it offers the upgrade path of converting the speakers into active ones with the purchase of an active crossover and some amplifiers – Bryston, naturally. Actually, they can be paired with any amp, but since the speakers are made by Bryston…

Were they ugly? Actually, they didn’t look that bad. They were big, a bit bulky but I think the larger ATCs look uglier.

At RM 24,000 a pair (for the non-signature version with internal crossovers), they give a fantastic bang for the buck. I have heard better speakers, but they cost much more than that.

If you’re looking around for speakers in the RM20k to RM30k range, you have to listen to the Bryston Model T."

Lam Seng Fatt

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1131 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:11 pm »
I received my Model T’s late last Thursday (April 4) and ran them continuously for 3 plus days.

I was pleasantly surprised in the “Bryston” sleeve covering the entire speaker.  Upon opening the speakers I mounted the outriggers and placed and fine-tuned their position.  I then attached the spikes and leveled them.  I replaced some American made 15K speakers and had my doubts about the T’s ability to play as well as my replaced speakers.  My initial impression was not great, but the T’s continued to improve each day. 

I put them to the test this morning with the studio version of Dire Straits doing “Telegraph Road”.  I have used this cut as a demo for almost 15 years now and hadn’t realized that there was bass at the opening of the song.  I pushed my 14B to the max streaming through my BDP-1 and they played with authority and wonderful dynamics. 

They have the detail without any trace of harshness.  It was extremely satisfying to finally push them to their limits.  Great image, great off axis response, and a very controlled and physical bottom end.

Yes, I’m very happy with my new Bryston Model T’s.

Rich Jackson

spotlightaudio

« Reply #1132 on: 8 Apr 2013, 08:38 pm »
Looking good Rich!  Is the grill 1 or 4 pieces ? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1133 on: 8 Apr 2013, 08:48 pm »
Looking good Rich!  Is the grill 1 or 4 pieces ?

Hi

4 pieces - the woofer grill fits all models.

james

spotlightaudio

« Reply #1134 on: 8 Apr 2013, 09:12 pm »
Thanks, James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1135 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:23 am »
Model T, Middle T, mini t, Model T Sub, Model T Center:

Rod_S

« Reply #1136 on: 14 Apr 2013, 03:49 am »
Hi James, just curious, what are the prices and specs for all of these? I couldn't find the specs on the Bryston homepage.

Rod_S

« Reply #1137 on: 14 Apr 2013, 03:52 am »
Never mind, I just found the info a few pages back.

James Tanner

• Facilitator

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1139 on: 15 Apr 2013, 03:58 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Speaker Impressions

April, 2013

"BRYSTON's first ever production loudspeaker, the Model T.

My impression of this loudspeaker's presentation is agility. The mid to low is clean, control, defined, proportionately correct and fast. It's like a Kung fu master with feet as light as feather and nimbly controlled.

The clarity of the tones from each instrument is portrayed accurately and believably.

The PRaT is good and one can easily follow the tunes.

The soundstage presented here is as big as the big showroom floor with the width, depth and height to measure. This is an area most audiophiles look and cherish.

After enjoying these qualities and I am amazed, I realized that these loudspeakers only came out from the box recently and already able to perform to these levels.

Kudos to the team behind this great product at an affordable price (in ratio wise)."

Danon Han Hong Den