Bryston Loudspeakers

Napalm

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1060 on: 2 Mar 2013, 03:42 pm »
Na I am bored with trying to pretend that great sound is possible with speakers in walls or tucked away in cavities.  Great three dimensional sound has specific speaker placement requirements needed if you want state of the art. 

I realize it is not for everyone but pretending that great sound is possible with no attention to proper setup is a myth in my opinion. It is intended to satisfy the casual listen and not for me. :thumb:

james

A picture is worth a thousand words. How comes that even in a recording studio you can get good esthetics and a cozy place to sit, but we're not allowed to do that at home?

Please don't mention the console, it has to be there, in a home setup it would be replaced with a fireplace or something.

They definitely didn't set it up to stare directly into something like this:

although many "audiophiles" are doing exactly that, plopping an "equipment rack" smack dab in front of them.

Talking about "in-wall" and concealed speakers, I've heard that some of them are good enough for a studio, why won't they work at home? Although this wasn't my original point, I already mentioned that I'm satisfied with bookshelves dimensions and esthetics.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1061 on: 2 Mar 2013, 04:04 pm »
In a studio they always have nearfields and/or midfields as well as the in wall monitors.  I have done many recordings with people like Jack Renner from Telarc as well as sat in on many movie scores while they were being recorded and mastered and they always use quality mid or near fields for serious recordings.

james

Napalm

« Reply #1062 on: 2 Mar 2013, 04:47 pm »
In a studio they always have nearfields and/or midfields as well as the in wall monitors.  I have done many recordings with people like Jack Renner from Telarc as well as sat in on many movie scores while they were being recorded and mastered and they always use quality mid or near fields for serious recordings.

james

Are we talking control room/recording or mastering?

OTOH, how exactly would you fit a near field system in the shisha room previously pictured? Installing the speakers in the center of the room? Moving the couch there?  :scratch:

Is that what Bryston had in mind with the Mini_T? Near field?

I've browsed the "Systems photo galleries" here on Audicircle, except for some very cramped rooms and man caves, everyone else is set for far field.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1063 on: 2 Mar 2013, 04:51 pm »
Are we talking control room/recording or mastering?

OTOH, how exactly would you fit a near field system in the shisha room previously pictured? Installing the speakers in the center of the room? Moving the couch there?  :scratch:

Is that what Bryston had in mind with the Mini_T? Near field?

I've browsed the "Systems photo galleries" here on Audicircle, except for some very cramped rooms and man caves, everyone else is set for far field.

Generally in Mastering the mid fields are used and yes they are  'in the room'.  :thumb:

James

Napalm

« Reply #1064 on: 2 Mar 2013, 05:24 pm »
Generally in Mastering the mid fields are used and yes they are  'in the room'.  :thumb:

James

Sometimes it's also done with the console "in the room":

However this is not the way most people can set up their systems at home. (I actually am, but that's a quirck as I was damn lucky to be able to install an armchair right in the center of the room due to it being particularly long)

So coming back to the standard home setups. If you're lucky you either have a square or rectangular room. (unlucky souls will generally have L shaped but it can get even worse).

How do you envision the Bryston floor and bookshelves speakers to be installed in such rooms (I mean the lucky ones)? I.e. which kind of setups do you have in mind when designing the size/audition height/ esthetics of Bryston speakers? and subwoofers? (let's discuss stereo only).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1065 on: 2 Mar 2013, 06:45 pm »
First off square rooms are awful you excite every standing wave there is.  So a rectangular room is much better for audio. In fact if every dimension of the room is unequal even better. There are even recommended golden rule dimensions available for those that care.

Napalm I am not saying 'most' people will do what I do in ringing as much performance as I can from my system but to tell people sure go ahead stick those speakers in the corner or install those ceiling speakers and you will get great sound is just an outright falsehood. 

james

Napalm

« Reply #1066 on: 2 Mar 2013, 08:57 pm »
Napalm I am not saying 'most' people will do what I do in ringing as much performance as I can from my system but to tell people sure go ahead stick those speakers in the corner or install those ceiling speakers and you will get great sound is just an outright falsehood. 

Let's not talk extremes. Let's exclude both "concealed in-wall" and "room-dominating" stuff.

'Most' people will accept a compromise where something is visible (yet not in an obtrusive manner) and produces pleasant sound (yet not necessarily the best possible in a given room).

Let's talk speakers / subs only as the other equipment can be concealed with no significant acoustic performance degradation.

See James, your life was so much easier before starting to make speakers, nobody would had asked these questions  :no_speak:

werd

« Reply #1067 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:07 pm »
 :lol:

Poor napalm hasn't figured out the that recording and playback are two entirely different hobbies. Or animals.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1068 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:14 pm »
See James, your life was so much easier before starting to make speakers, nobody would had asked these questions
[/quote]

Ya but this is my passion and I can not think of a better way to spend my life. :thumb:

james

Napalm

« Reply #1069 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:23 pm »

Ya but this is my passion and I can not think of a better way to spend my life. :thumb:

james

Way to go James. But how about us mere mortals?

I went again through the Audiocircle system galleries. Here's a particular pick:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=1791

where the speakers are actually very visible yet they blend in very nicely.  :thumb: to Gamajo for this.

What can we learn from this setup? And as a speaker manufacturer, do you think you could help your customers with the esthetics of their setups?

Napalm

« Reply #1070 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:25 pm »

Poor napalm hasn't figured out the that recording and playback are two entirely different hobbies. Or animals.

Yes the recording industry uses an even number of working tweeters. While certain playback folks are mesmerized by the sound of odd numbers.

werd

« Reply #1071 on: 2 Mar 2013, 09:43 pm »
Yes the recording industry uses an even number of working tweeters. While certain playback folks are mesmerized by the sound of odd numbers.

Try and make 1 tweeter work. Dare ya. I got it to work in mono and excellent too.  At the very least you will learn a lot about tweeter cohesion and harmonic balance. Until then I will let you continue stumbling around with your photos of studio set ups. Trying to make comparisons of recording practices vs playback preferences.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1072 on: 3 Mar 2013, 02:35 am »
Report From Malaysia from our Distributor:

Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 2:58 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: Model T

Hi James

Only tried the Model T two days ago, just fresh from the box, already like, like, like.

Even better this morning.

Amazing sound!

Napalm

« Reply #1073 on: 3 Mar 2013, 02:46 am »
Try and make 1 tweeter work. Dare ya. I got it to work in mono and excellent too.  At the very least you will learn a lot about tweeter cohesion and harmonic balance. Until then I will let you continue stumbling around with your photos of studio set ups. Trying to make comparisons of recording practices vs playback preferences.

Sure Werd whatever you say. Next time don't forget to mention the CABLES cohesion and harmonic balance too.  :lol:

werd

« Reply #1074 on: 3 Mar 2013, 02:55 am »
Sure Werd whatever you say. Next time don't forget to mention the CABLES cohesion and harmonic balance too.  :lol:

Hey Napalm I like your avatar. It's perfect, demonstrates how you destroy your own hobby. Under that pile of flames lies your poor stereo I am sure. :lol:

Napalm

« Reply #1075 on: 3 Mar 2013, 04:40 am »
Hey Napalm I like your avatar. It's perfect, demonstrates how you destroy your own hobby. Under that pile of flames lies your poor stereo I am sure. :lol:

Looks to me more like a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios blowing their tweeters.........

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1076 on: 3 Mar 2013, 12:31 pm »
James, I am looking at the PDF for the Signature speakers and its external crossover. There are 3 inputs, and I assume 3 outputs. Does this mean each speaker requires 3 amplifiers and 6 speaker cables? So for a stereo we need 6 amps and 12 speaker cables?

Also, what is the benefit of the external crossover?

Thanks.

Albert

Hi Albert

The outboard crossover uses air core inductors instead of ferrite and the capacitors are custom made Bryston versions rather than generic caps.

The outboard passive crossover has 3 inputs but we link those together for you using wires so you only need ONE set of speaker inputs on the input side (you can remove the wire links and use three sets of cables if you wish on the input side as well). The Output side needs 3 cables (we sell a kit for that) because the speaker has 3 sets of inputs. So the Signature series only needs ONE stereo amp.

If you want to go to the Active version of the speaker then the External Passive crossover gets replaced with a 3-way stereo Electronic crossover and then you need 6 channels of amplification - 2 for tweeters - two for mids and two for woofers.

james
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2013, 02:25 pm by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #1077 on: 3 Mar 2013, 01:43 pm »
Looks to me more like a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios blowing their tweeters.........

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1078 on: 4 Mar 2013, 07:08 pm »
Hi Folks,

Very preliminary but lit sheet on the new Bryston Middle T speaker.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1079 on: 5 Mar 2013, 06:25 pm »
ONWALLS

james