Bryston Loudspeakers

PRELUDE

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #800 on: 8 Dec 2012, 07:16 pm »
Ernie Fisher – INNER EAR REPORT

My listening test so far — that is with 7B SST Squared, Aesthetix and Allnic amplifiers — has shown to me that the Model Ts are one of the very rare designs that, because of it's own high rating of neutrality, lets one hear all backup components.

In addition, they sound better than some of the mega-buck brands we all know.

Price/performance is way out of whack — something like 20/100%.

Be proud Bryston . . .
+1 :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #801 on: 13 Dec 2012, 12:26 pm »
Hi Folks,

Shot of the Bryston Model T Signature External Passive Crossover internals - notice custom Bryston capacitors.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #802 on: 13 Dec 2012, 06:46 pm »
My Rosewood Model T's - almost ready!!!

james

KeithA

« Reply #803 on: 13 Dec 2012, 09:52 pm »

james

That's a lot of speaker  :D

Id love to hear a set....not going to happen my neck of the woods. I'm looking at getting a new set speakers next Spring, maybe.

Keith

Jamesie

« Reply #804 on: 14 Dec 2012, 07:01 am »

james

James, I have been watching this thread for a while but had to sign up just so I could say how stunning these are!!! Absolutely beautiful.

I hope there will be a pair coming to New Zealand, as I am very interested in these.

I will get hold of the distributor in NZ early next year to see what they can arrange.

Cheers and keep up the great work,

Paul

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #805 on: 14 Dec 2012, 11:52 am »
James, I have been watching this thread for a while but had to sign up just so I could say how stunning these are!!! Absolutely beautiful.

I hope there will be a pair coming to New Zealand, as I am very interested in these.

I will get hold of the distributor in NZ early next year to see what they can arrange.

Cheers and keep up the great work,

Paul

Hi Paul

Yes I believe our Australian Distributor is planning on bringing in the speakers soon.  We are currently sold out but should have more available come Feb.

james

sfraser

« Reply #806 on: 14 Dec 2012, 03:12 pm »

james

I see your picking out your own Xmas presents.eh? ......Be-atch!!! ; )

They look great, enjoy them over the holiday.

Scott

95Dyna

« Reply #807 on: 14 Dec 2012, 04:46 pm »
Ernie Fisher – INNER EAR REPORT

My listening test so far — that is with 7B SST Squared, Aesthetix and Allnic amplifiers — has shown to me that the Model Ts are one of the very rare designs that, because of it's own high rating of neutrality, lets one hear all backup components.

In addition, they sound better than some of the mega-buck brands we all know.

Price/performance is way out of whack — something like 20/100%.

Be proud Bryston . . .

Been thinking about new speaks to replace my 22 year old Infinity 9 Kappas since buying my 7B SST2's a couple years ago and these sound like an ideal choice to retain the big dynamic sound of the Kappas while improving upon their balance and slightly congested midrange.

In my situation it looks like the external active alternative is a stretch as I would have to spend at least another $10 or $12K to provide six Bryston quality channels of amplification.  The Inner Ear snippet above is encouraging but it doesn't say whether he's using the passive external or internal crossover with the 7's.  Anyway, what I'm in need of at this point is a comparative analysis of what improvements would be experienced using the external passive over the internal passive as well as what I am missing by not selling the 7's and buying a pair of 6's and going the active route.

James, in addition to the great job you have done with these you have created the need for a matrix to figure out the optimal permutation of amplification, cabling and crossover in a given situation.  Perhaps you could develop a variation of the JL Audio Sound Analyzer Kit iPhone app and expand upon its amp calculator function  :lol:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #808 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:07 pm »
Been thinking about new speaks to replace my 22 year old Infinity 9 Kappas since buying my 7B SST2's a couple years ago and these sound like an ideal choice to retain the big dynamic sound of the Kappas while improving upon their balance and slightly congested midrange.

In my situation it looks like the external active alternative is a stretch as I would have to spend at least another $10 or $12K to provide six Bryston quality channels of amplification.  The Inner Ear snippet above is encouraging but it doesn't say whether he's using the passive external or internal crossover with the 7's.  Anyway, what I'm in need of at this point is a comparative analysis of what improvements would be experienced using the external passive over the internal passive as well as what I am missing by not selling the 7's and buying a pair of 6's and going the active route.

James, in addition to the great job you have done with these you have created the need for a matrix to figure out the optimal permutation of amplification, cabling and crossover in a given situation.  Perhaps you could develop a variation of the JL Audio Sound Analyzer Kit iPhone app and expand upon its amp calculator function  :lol:.

Hi

The external crossover has a few improvements over the internal.  The external uses air core inductors as well as high tolerance Bryston Capacitors. 

If you see yourself moving towards an all Active system in the future then I would recommend purchasing the Model T SIGNATURE version (which includes the external crossover).  That way you simply replace the outboard passive crossover that goes between your power amp and speaker with the Active Crossover that goes between your Preamp and Amps.

I will list the current Bryston amp options as well in a few minutes.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #809 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:11 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MODEL T AMPLIFIERS   

Matching Bryston Amplifiers For Active Model T  Loudspeakers

MODEL                                               PAIRS

9B SST-3-Channel                           9B SST-3-Channel x TWO

6B SST2                                           6B SST2 x TWO         

7B SST-2 /3B SST2                         7B SST2 x TWO  with  3B SST2  x TWO         

7B SST-2 /4B SST2                         7B SST2 x TWO  with  4B SST2  x TWO

werd

« Reply #810 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:35 pm »
MODEL T AMPLIFIERS   

What does holding $5 bucks and having a big grin using a 14B get ya in your new speaks?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #811 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:41 pm »

What does holding $5 bucks and having a big grin using a 14B get ya in your new speaks?

Sorry Lorne - I am at a loss as to what this sentence means   :scratch:

james

werd

« Reply #812 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:46 pm »
Anything under the Xmas tree from James Tanner this year?  :thumb:  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #813 on: 14 Dec 2012, 05:52 pm »
Anything under the Xmas tree from James Tanner this year?  :thumb:  :lol:

Yes the Rosewoods are going to Vegas for the show in January and then I plan to hi-jack them for home.

james

Don_S

« Reply #814 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:00 pm »
James,

Stop playing with my emotions.  In reply 744 you said the Model-Ts would not be at CES or T.H.E. Show.  Now you say they will be.  In reply 745 I specifically asked you "What other things are you "not intending" to do?".   :lol:

Details please:
location?
active or static display?
which crossovers?

Yes the Rosewoods are going to Vegas for the show in January and then I plan to hi-jack them for home.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #815 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:03 pm »
James,

Stop playing with my emotions.  In reply 744 you said the Model-Ts would not be at CES or T.H.E. Show.  Now you say they will be.  In reply 745 I specifically asked you "What other things are you "not intending" to do?".   :lol:

Details please:
location?
active or static display?
which crossovers?

We are sharing with Thiel so they will just be on static display.

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #816 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:11 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MODEL T AMPLIFIERS   

Hi James,
Just my thought beside your list which I always recommended the same to so many people.
If we look at the entry level for any of this folks who would like to go active in the future but keep the cost low and use less space, then how about a set up with 4BSST2 and a 9BSST2@4channel.It would encourage more people for few reasons and the benefit of having more power to drive the woofers.2x9BSS2@3-channel would take a same space as 4BSST2 and one 9BSST2@4-channel and would cost same also but would be better to have more power for woofers+more people have the 4b already and it would make it easier to switch to active by adding a9BSST2 instead of changing the whole setup.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #817 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:21 pm »
Hi James,
Just my thought beside your list which I always recommended the same to so many people.
If we look at the entry level for any of this folks who would like to go active in the future but keep the cost low and use less space, then how about a set up with 4BSST2 and a 9BSST2@4channel.It would encourage more people for few reasons and the benefit of having more power to drive the woofers.2x9BSS2@3-channel would take a same space as 4BSST2 and one 9BSST2@4-channel and would cost same also but would be better to have more power for woofers+more people have the 4b already and it would make it easier to switch to active by adding a9BSST2 instead of changing the whole setup.

Good point :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #818 on: 14 Dec 2012, 06:41 pm »
Audio Perspective

Some thoughts here :

As a long time audio reviewer when it comes to describing one's impressions within a review-type essay, I think it is easier to exercise criticism than to explain excellence.

A reviewers obligation is to investigate and describe in detail the performance, character, merit, shortcomings and sonic properties of the component under review.  But when being an audio critic turns into listening for pleasure, the critic is in trouble and must re-evaluate his/her position and his duty.

I found myself in this position dozens of time, but never as blatantly painful as in the past few months — the time I spent listening to the Model T's (review pending)

Ernie Fisher

95Dyna

« Reply #819 on: 14 Dec 2012, 09:30 pm »
Hi James,

On that note what about a pair of 7's on the woofers and a 4 channel 9 for the mid and high for those of us who now have a pair of 7's.  Would that be too much diparity in power or would 140 per side be fine for the mids and highs?  James, you sly dog, you gotta be lovin' this.  Everyone trying to figure out how many more Bryston amps to buy.  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy  :thumb:.