Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #540 on: 28 Jul 2012, 05:07 pm »
James,

Thanks!  So you are going to try to introduce speakers based on solid design and performance?   Can you at least offer a special edition with cabinets made out of three inch thick CNC'd aluminum and Cryo the whole thing?  I know of more than a few audio "enthusiasts" who would fall...I mean go for it.

You guys know I'm kidding, right?  Compliments to James for the gimmick-free, fundamental approach to this design.

Yes i know you are kidding - I like it! :thumb:

But in all seriousness remember that not everyone agrees with Bryston's position or design criteria.  I think any designer has to decide which performance areas and cosmetics are the most important to him or her and that takes you down a path that may differ from one designer to another. 

I have lived with many quality loudspeakers over the many years I have been doing this and have come to the conclusion based on all the research available both empirically and scientifically that this approach is the best option so far.

james 

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #541 on: 28 Jul 2012, 05:19 pm »
I have no problem at all with people who want to have beautiful furniture in their homes, even if it happens to have speaker drivers in them.

All my good audio equipment is in a man cave which looks more or less like an abandoned dump site.

Vinyl covered speakers, then, in this setting, are a step up as a fashion statment. If they wrap themselves around a great speaker, so much the better.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #542 on: 28 Jul 2012, 05:24 pm »
By the way we will be offering real wood and more upscale finishes going forward but it will add a premium of course.

james

jackman

« Reply #543 on: 28 Jul 2012, 05:40 pm »
I actually like exotic veneers and cool looking speakers.  I was mainly poking fun at the people who feel you need an exotic design (or ribbon tweets, open baffle, solid gold connectors, waveguides, etc) to get good sound.  IMO, traditional speaker designs are alive and well.  I'm not saying these things are without merit, but there are many paths to good sound.  There is no substitute for solid engineering and well thought out design.

These speakers may have several unique design elements but they look like traditional speakers, which I like. 

gdbalp

« Reply #544 on: 28 Jul 2012, 06:07 pm »
James,

As you are developing the surround sound speakers, can I ask if the design of these speakers are at a minimum size.  If you take for example the size of centre speakers from some manufacturers, it is as large as the main speakers and is difficult to position between the mains- often looks odd too.  We do want the best performance, but space is challenge for placement of these speakers.  Just some thoughts..

Ciao,
Luigi

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #545 on: 28 Jul 2012, 06:34 pm »
 Glad to hear about the real wood thing. For me plastic outer coverings are a cheap look robbing much of the class you have built in to your efforts. This is not " furniture" but something I have always expected from a fine product. :thumb: Oh  and another thing. I would like to see a more substantial plinth like black granite or a cement based material.   IMO

BrysTony

« Reply #546 on: 28 Jul 2012, 06:51 pm »
Glad to hear about the real wood thing. For me plastic outer coverings are a cheap look robbing much of the class you have built in to your efforts. This is not " furniture" but something I have always expected from a fine product. :thumb: Oh  and another thing. I would like to see a more substantial plinth like black granite or a cement based material.   IMO

I agree with you Redbook.  $6K + speakers should not be vinyl clad.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #547 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:02 pm »
James,

As you are developing the surround sound speakers, can I ask if the design of these speakers are at a minimum size.  If you take for example the size of centre speakers from some manufacturers, it is as large as the main speakers and is difficult to position between the mains- often looks odd too.  We do want the best performance, but space is challenge for placement of these speakers.  Just some thoughts..

Ciao,
Luigi

Hi Luigi

They are smaller but it is important they maintain the same polar response and reasonable power handling to match the fronts.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #548 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:04 pm »
I agree with you Redbook.  $6K + speakers should not be vinyl clad.

Tony

With real wood they are no longer a 6K + speaker --- they are a 7K + speaker. If you want real wood at 6K what should I leave out ? Maybe less internal bracing or thinner baffle or smaller magnets on the drivers?

James

BrysTony

« Reply #549 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:10 pm »
With real wood they are no longer a 6K speaker --- they are a 7K speaker. If you want real wood at 6K what should I leave out ?

James

James, That is just my opinion. I personally would not be interested in the 6K vinyl version but I may well be interested in the 7K wood veneer.  I think you have come up with a great speaker concept.  It will be interesting to learn how the sales go - vinyl vs. wood veneer.

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #550 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:13 pm »
James, That is just my opinion. I personally would not be interested in the 6K vinyl version but I may well be interested in the 7K wood veneer.  I think you have come up with a great speaker concept.  It will be interesting to learn how the sales go - vinyl vs. wood veneer.

Tony

Hi Tony

You are more than likely correct but I want the model T to be as inexpensive as possible without compromising sonic performance. My new motto is "Performance before Furniture"   :lol:

James

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #551 on: 28 Jul 2012, 07:53 pm »
As far as appearances and performance are concerned, I knew someone many years ago who had a fixed idea that higher priced products absolutely demanded higher priced componenents parts regardless of the function of a part. He had a top model BMW, and somehow conflated his love for the vehicle and his own sense of self worth. I noticed that the grill of his car was black plastic. It was an indisputable fact that it was plastic, but he blew his top insisting, in the face of the plain fact, that his beloved BMW simply could not be fitted with plastic parts. Now, of course, even the most expensive cars have plastic parts to save weight and thereby improve performance.

I'm not sure how authoritative this site is and I don't agree with all it says, but it advises speaker buyers to look at finishes this way, which seems reasonable to me:

"Finishes and grilles - Finish of the cabinet plays no role in the overall contribution of sound quality of a speaker system; it is merely a statement of fashion and prestige. While it is desirable to have a speaker system with a nice wood veneer finish, it should not be a primary concern as these types of finishes add cost to the system without an increase of performance. Most speakers have a vinyl finish with a wood grained appearance and some of these look like real wood, and it is difficult to tell that it is vinyl."

http://www.buyingloudspeakers.com/Construction%20and%20Materials.htm

I think the great thing James is doing is to let the customer decide what he wants: lower price and vinyl or higher price and wood. Best of both worlds. It looks like a sensible solution that let's everyone have what they want.

Dave

BrysTony

« Reply #552 on: 28 Jul 2012, 08:40 pm »

I think the great thing James is doing is to let the customer decide what he wants: lower price and vinyl or higher price and wood. Best of both worlds. It looks like a sensible solution that let's everyone have what they want.

Dave

+1

Tony

ec

« Reply #553 on: 28 Jul 2012, 10:52 pm »
Instead of an vinyl option (haven't seen it), I would instead like a Studio finish where it is just painted matte black like the PMC stuff.  If this is the same cost as vinyl, I'd opt for the studio finish.

mrhyfy

« Reply #554 on: 28 Jul 2012, 11:01 pm »
Instead of an vinyl option (haven't seen it), I would instead like a Studio finish where it is just painted matte black like the PMC stuff.  If this is the same cost as vinyl, I'd opt for the studio finish.

+2

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #555 on: 29 Jul 2012, 06:46 am »
 Yes, I would be more apt to buy a matt pro type finish if this keeps the cost down .Then again, all things being equal, what's another 1000$ at this point to get a bit more class? :wink:

spinner

« Reply #556 on: 29 Jul 2012, 11:19 am »
  Matt black is good for me. The simple finish would go with any decor. :thumb: Will there be grills for the final model? :scratch:
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2012, 03:06 pm by spinner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #557 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:20 pm »
  Matt black is good for me. The simple finish would go with any decor. :thumb: Will there be grills for the final model? :scratch:

Hi

Yes still working on the grill - trying to decide what looks good and at the same time has minimal defraction problems.

James

mrhyfy

« Reply #558 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:24 pm »
Yes, I would be more apt to buy a matt pro type finish if this keeps the cost down .Then again, all things being equal, what's another 1000$ at this point to get a bit more class? :wink:

Is vinyl actually classier than studio black??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #559 on: 29 Jul 2012, 03:26 pm »
Is vinyl actually classier than studio black??

I really like the Black Vinyl - it looks excellent  :thumb:

James