Upgrade myths

Rupret

Upgrade myths
« on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:15 am »
I read several audio forums and sometimes I see a thread asking something similar to "what can I do to best upgrade my system" ... usually with a budget in the $2-5K ballpark.  I see posts saying replace your cartridge, buy this amp off eBay, and so on. 

Myths in my case.

I had the upgrade jones and replaced my original B&W 802d speakers with Magico S5's.  It sounded better but never really blew me away.  So, I'm thinking move on to the S7's ... got a grip ... thank goodness.

What I did is to start at the wall.  I had an electrician run three 10 gauge same phase 20 amp lines with AudioQuest outlets and install whole house surge protection (I live in Orlando, FL ... absolutely needed ... like a war zone in the summer here).  Now I can plug my 7BSST2 amps and the Torus power conditioner into the three outlets.  Holy Moly ... what a difference.  Everything is sharper and more powerful.  The outlets may be overkill but the wiring certainly matters.

With the new power the comfortable listening was around 75 db ... above 80 db hurt my ears and got bass heavy.  The balance has always seemed left oriented.  My system flanks a wall of glass on the left that leads to the pool so I figured acoustic panels might help.  They help.  Now, I listen at 85 db comfortably and it's balanced and really sounds good.

The point, and just a suggestion, is to start at the wall and then move on to the components.  It may not be the most exciting visually but it's relatively inexpensive, less than $2K in my case, and well worth the money.

gberger

• Check 6
Re: Upgrade myths
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:58 am »
I didn't go that far. I had an electrician install two dedicated 20 amp circuits.  One for the 4Bsst2 amplifier and the other for the two preamps, CD spinner, tuner, DAC, etc.  I've always used oversized power cords. so didn't bother to replace any of them. I had the electrician double check the main circuit breaker panel to ensure everything had been installed by code (circuits for the fridge, heat pumps, cooktop, bathroom fixtures, outside receptacles ---it's an all-electric house!)  And, checked the master ground for the house.

I took a circuit tester and checked every outlet in the house to be certain all the house wiring was correct. You might be surprised how many outlets might have been mis-wired, inducing hum.

Result? I really think it helped by ensuring clean power to the outlets. Our local power is clean and well-regulated, thank goodness

Next step: a BIT20 for the 4Bsst2 ??

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2019, 01:24 pm »
When I decided to upgrade my Magnepan 3.6 speakers to 20.7s.. My Magnepan (and Bryston btw) dealer said I did not need to upgrade my amplifier (from the Bryston 4B-SST² amp I bought from him when I bought the 3.6 Magnepans eight years earlier.
After the 20.7s... I also went to the AC. Since I live in an apartment, no multiple AC line.. I use a separate breaker 20 amp line from the kitchen, extending the line 34' and 44' to my stereo. Had that for many years. But the recent addition I went all in on Furutech duplex. They were on sale, and I bought a few, wow, So I bought some more. Finally wnet all in and replaced all of the duplex in two conditioners too.

My results make it clear to me folks with good equipment can get MORE from upgrading the AC parts, then a upgrade of amps and preamps.
Also I borrowed a noise sniffer from my dealer. That told me a lot about the AC. And how valuable some PSAudio Noise Haresters are for the cleaning of the AC. (I am sure other brands also do well)

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2019, 04:58 pm »
I read several audio forums and sometimes I see a thread asking something similar to "what can I do to best upgrade my system" ... usually with a budget in the $2-5K ballpark.  I see posts saying replace your cartridge, buy this amp off eBay, and so on. 

Myths in my case.

I had the upgrade jones and replaced my original B&W 802d speakers with Magico S5's.  It sounded better but never really blew me away.  So, I'm thinking move on to the S7's ... got a grip ... thank goodness.

What I did is to start at the wall.  I had an electrician run three 10 gauge same phase 20 amp lines with AudioQuest outlets and install whole house surge protection (I live in Orlando, FL ... absolutely needed ... like a war zone in the summer here).  Now I can plug my 7BSST2 amps and the Torus power conditioner into the three outlets.  Holy Moly ... what a difference.  Everything is sharper and more powerful.  The outlets may be overkill but the wiring certainly matters.

With the new power the comfortable listening was around 75 db ... above 80 db hurt my ears and got bass heavy.  The balance has always seemed left oriented.  My system flanks a wall of glass on the left that leads to the pool so I figured acoustic panels might help.  They help.  Now, I listen at 85 db comfortably and it's balanced and really sounds good.

The point, and just a suggestion, is to start at the wall and then move on to the components.  It may not be the most exciting visually but it's relatively inexpensive, less than $2K in my case, and well worth the money.

100% I agree, the difference it made when I upgraded my outlet, power conditioner and power cords was stunning. It "ugrades" everything downstream, thanks for posting! My setup:

Mapleshade outlet
Monster HTPS 7000 Power Conditioner
Virtual Dynamics power cords

How much did the project with the electrician cost just in case I feel, like trying it?