How to connect my new Force (when it comes)

dkordonowy

« on: 20 Jun 2006, 01:43 am »
So I jumped on board the Force XL boat, and am eagerly waiting its arrival.  So now I'm looking for the cables with which to hook it up.

I want to connect it both as a 2 channel addition to the mains, as well as connect it to the LFE on my receiver for 5.1 movies.  In this case, both the 2 channel rig and 5.1 rig are the same receiver (RX-V2600) - just different settings for different devices (CD vs. DVD).

ACI's site says to connect L and R output of my 2 channel rig to the L and R of the sub, and then connect the LFE to the Theater input of the sub.  However the ACI site also says to not use the Theater input due to the high pass filter set at 35Hz removing content.

So I'm wondering what to do.

My thought is to combine the L and R output of my 2 channel rig to a single line and input that into the L input of the sub.  Then take the LFE input and plug it into the R input of the sub.

Am I thinking correctly or is there a better/preferred way?

m_l

« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2006, 11:32 am »
The way I have mine connect is as follows: LFE out of preamp to theater input for home theater use, for 2ch I simply run the left out to one sub and the right to the other sub. This works great because when you are using it for home theater use, you can control the output thru your reciever. It took me some time to set them up but it's well worth it. The way I just described works great, you just need to run two sets of cable. BTW the sub allows to have both connections connected, but will only use one at a time.

dkordonowy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2006, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: m_l
The way I have mine connect is as follows: LFE out of preamp to theater input for home theater use, for 2ch I simply run the left out to one sub and the right to the other sub. This works great because when you are using it for home theater use, you can control the output thru your reciever. It took me some time to set them up but it's well worth it. The way I just described works great, you just need to run two sets of cable. BTW the sub allows to have both connections connected, but will only use one at a time.

Yea, I would do that, however if the theater input is still working by THX standards (Mike, can you confirm this?), then it automatically curbs input lower than 35Hz, in an effort to maximize SPL.  I believe that would mean that the low frequency content in movies is not being played per the movies (and receivers) direction.  m_l, you might try connecting connecting the theater input into one of the L or R channels, and seeing if you hear a difference during a movie (you would also probably set the crossover points to max).

Anyway, this is the question that I'm trying to confirm: does the theater input to the sub have any non-defeatable high pass filters, and if so, how do I connect my sub to both a 2 channel and HT setup simultaneously without losing low frequency information in either.