Piano solos

jimdgoulding

Piano solos
« on: 25 Jul 2012, 10:50 am »
Very subjective?  Sure.  Still, I'd read your experiences and why with high interest and others may as well.  Guess we'll see.  What got me going on a topic like this is Bobo Stenson's solo on Jan Garabek's 1974 ECM album Witch-Tai-to on the 20 min track Desireless.  He positively slays me on this and he just keeps coming!  Palle Danielson is the bassist and might be the reason Bobo keeps coming chorus after chorus like he does on this.  Jon Christenson's drumming is the other.  Great sideman if not the best Europe had to offer at this fertile time for jazz.  Garabek could have laid out altogether for my money (his tone irritates me even on tenor).  They set down this very inviting groove and develop from there.  Grab a board and hop on the wave and take the trip.  Excites me today just as it has for these many years.  Guess that makes it timeless.  Cheers.

richidoo

Re: Piano solos
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2012, 11:19 am »

Art Tatum took took the art of solo piano to new heights. Samples

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2012, 08:52 pm »
The topic can't be discussed without mentioning Keith Jarrett.  Since I first became aware of his playing with Charles LLoyd and Miles back in the day, I've admired his creativity but have been somewhat put off by his drama and histrionics.  The solo concerts in Europe especially are perfect examples of what I've felt re: Keith.
Over the last few months I found an older CD from Keith which is fairly atypical.  Its quiet, personal and inspiring.  He made it at home on a DAT as a Christmas present for his wife.  He was suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was pretty ill and couldn't tour.  The music is kind of schmaltzy and veers very close to cocktail bar music but its played with absolute conviction and respect and is so restrained  and beautiful that I'm deeply affected by it.  Its called The Melody At Night With You The songs include "I Loves You Porgy", "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good", "Someone To Watch Over Me" and "Shenandoah."
The quality of the recording is not to everyone's taste, it wasn't made in a studio and sounds it.  That quality actually helps to make it more personal to me. It seems amazing that the same artist could make an over the top recording like the Koln Concert and this small intensely intimate work as well. 
Highly recommended.
Larry

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2012, 09:30 pm »
Jessica Williams

GerryD

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:25 pm »
Brad Mehldau.."Live In Tokyo" is a good listen.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2012, 09:35 pm »
Art Tatum is great. I cant listen Keith Jarret due his humming habits.
Other great musician ruined by humming and silly vocal duet sounds with his guitar is John Pizzarelli. :duh:
Very annoying

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2012, 01:54 am »
The topic can't be discussed without mentioning Keith Jarrett.  Since I first became aware of his playing with Charles LLoyd and Miles back in the day, I've admired his creativity but have been somewhat put off by his drama and histrionics.  The solo concerts in Europe especially are perfect examples of what I've felt re: Keith.
Over the last few months I found an older CD from Keith which is fairly atypical.  Its quiet, personal and inspiring.  He made it at home on a DAT as a Christmas present for his wife.  He was suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and was pretty ill and couldn't tour.  The music is kind of schmaltzy and veers very close to cocktail bar music but its played with absolute conviction and respect and is so restrained  and beautiful that I'm deeply affected by it.  Its called The Melody At Night With You The songs include "I Loves You Porgy", "I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good", "Someone To Watch Over Me" and "Shenandoah."
The quality of the recording is not to everyone's taste, it wasn't made in a studio and sounds it.  That quality actually helps to make it more personal to me. It seems amazing that the same artist could make an over the top recording like the Koln Concert and this small intensely intimate work as well. 
Highly recommended.
Larry
Jarrett is something else on solo piano.  I have his "La Scala" on ECM, I believe.  Gratifying late night listening.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2012, 02:41 am »
I thought you meant solo piano, but you said piano solos...  :oops:

My fav. piano solo of all time is Bud Powell on Parisian Thoroughfare, The Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 1, Blue Note. He stops midway through his perfect solo, at the artistic summit of his recorded canon, frustrated with something, assuming he would get another chance to make it better....   and every time I hear that I think "No! Keep going!"

lokie

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:36 am »
Gene Harris w the Ray Brown Trio playing "Sumertime".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_hWZp_BVAI

airhead

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2012, 03:47 am »
Brad Meldhau for sure....also Patricia Barber.....look for example for Someday my Prince Will Come,
with a subtle drum accompaniment; still essentially a solo.  And Chick Corea.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 2 Sep 2012, 04:12 am »
So many masters, so little space. One of my favorites is Oscar Peterson. Never get tired of his work......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfjpVjwk-s&feature=fvst

Others on the short list would be Herbie Hancock & Dave Brubek. As many I'm somewhat limited in enjoyment of Jarrett's talents, but they certainly can't be denied.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2012, 08:52 pm »
Kenny Drew "kicks it up" during this tune...one of my favorites.... :beer:

Turn it up.....their all " cookin' " :rock:

Kenny Drew Trio - "Last Tango In Paris"....

Kenny Drew - Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Alvin Queen - "Impressions"

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:16 pm »
Gonna have to put that on tonite, Chris.  "Last Tango" is a burner.  As I recall, the sound on this is excellent, also.  Pedersen drives this real good.  Thanks.

Alan UK

• AudioChews
« Reply #13 on: 20 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm »
They're all good!  (Hi Jim, good to see you again - I'm still using those pads.)

One all-time fave is Keith Jarett's Koln concert, the fact it was nearly never performed or recorded (and that the piano is partially out of tune) makes it all the more remarkable...