transformer for prm-1 solo

AUDFILE74

transformer for prm-1 solo
« on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:28 pm »
hello john.i want to do a basic volume control kit , i will be using a pair of your prm-1 solo 2-chanel units  to get a total of 4 channels. i was wondering what kind of transformer do i need and if they come with power supplies.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: transformer for prm-1 solo
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:54 pm »
Hello!

I can send along a power supply along with a nice connector you can mount in the chassis back panel.  I use 9VDC supplies as standard for PRM-1 systems like that. 

If it is a passive pre-amp build then the supply from my end is handy but if it is part of a more elaborate project with active stages inside, etc then most builders plan to include the supply inside the chassis or scoop the power from some other supply already in the design - so only one power cord is needed.

Just e-mail or call with your project details and we can decide on the best parts to fit your plans.

Thansk!

John

AUDFILE74

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:08 am »
it's just two pairs of inputs, two stereo prm-1 solo kits , and 2 pairs of outputs. real simple. i just don't know if anything goes between the iec power connection and the power supply like a transformer.if the power supply is a direct connection to the iec connector then this may  work out ptretty easy

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:51 am »
Hello!

The power units I use for things like this (where the power is only used for the control circuits and is not part of the audio path) is simply a 9Vdc wall supply. That keeps the AC power right out of the chassis. Rather than the IEC you just have a small power input jack that mounts in a round hole - much easier (and safer) than making that special IEC cutout and routing 120V into the chassis.

Thanks!

John

AUDFILE74

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:22 am »
so what wall wart is compatible with this setup?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2009, 10:54 pm »
Hello!

As mentioned I'd have a wall wart I can easily supply for you. The one I'd use for this would be a Tamura 9Vdc at 1000mA (although the actual draw is much less that is what I use most the time). I use linear supplies rather than switching types - the switchers are much better than before (ie don't spew EMI/RFI noise like the old ones did) but I still feel best with a good old linear supply. The power cord on the supply that mates with the power inlet connectors I supply would be 2.1mm size with positive center pin - this is the most common connection for those types of supplies from what I have seen.

Keep in mind with this supply that it is NOT part of the signal path - it is only used to run the control logic.

Thansk!

John

AUDFILE74

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:41 am »
COOLNESS!