K Shep

Re: New SongTowers ordered. Other gear?
« Reply #80 on: 9 Feb 2010, 09:05 pm »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #81 on: 9 Feb 2010, 11:09 pm »
For what its worth, the Parasound A21 is less expensive than the AVA Fet Valve 550Ex.

I don't have an Ultra Fet Valve 550EX, just an Insight 440 solid state amp and not even a 440H or Double 440.  The 550 is a hybrid amplifier and in another league than a strictly solid state amp. 

Pipe,

All you'd have to do is sell some of your monitors (speakers) to make up the difference.  Your "other gear" list is impressive.

The Spendor S3/5 in burl walnut should bring a few bucks. :thumb:  The KEF Reference Series 101 are under-recognized and wouldn't likely bring enough money to be worth selling.   :(   However, maybe a new UltraValve or a Ultra Fet Valve 550EX is in my future. 

floresjc

« Reply #82 on: 9 Feb 2010, 11:11 pm »
K Shep -

I didn't mean anything derogatory towards Parasound. I'm a lucky owner myself  :)

I simply meant step down in terms of price. I got my PS 2100 for 400 bucks shipped from Audio Advisor on an open box special (they basically took a photo of it). Its an amazing piece of gear, and something I would consider an absolute must have for anyone wanting two channel and home theater options in the same system.

But the OP isn't in that situation. He's talking straight 2-channel systems, and as my Salk/AVA/Parasound/Squeezebox system review says, I prefer the AVA preamp to the Parasound.  Although if I only had 700 bucks to spend, I'd be more than happy with the Parasound. I wouldn't label the difference between the two as night and day, but there is a noticeable difference in performance to me, and I find it worth recommending.

I'm actually kind of upset with my Parasound 2100. Its broke. Whenever I use the mp3 jack, it only plays out the right speaker, somehow the left channel died. But using pass through, it will still allow the left channel to play. So I have to send it in for repairs.  :(

Nuance

« Reply #83 on: 10 Feb 2010, 12:19 am »
The 550 is a hybrid amplifier and in another league than a strictly solid state amp. 

Its better than any solid state amp out there, or better than Frank's solid state amps?  I've never heard it, so please clarify. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #84 on: 10 Feb 2010, 12:23 am »
I don't have an Ultra Fet Valve 550EX, just an Insight 440 solid state amp and not even a 440H or Double 440.  The 550 is a hybrid amplifier and in another league than a strictly solid state amp. 

Pretty strong statement...

Can't say I agree with it based on my listening and auditioning on Salk HT3's.  I found pure solid state, hybrid, and tube amps that floated my boat more than the AVA 550EX.

I will put on my anti-flame suit now.

George

K Shep

« Reply #85 on: 10 Feb 2010, 01:02 am »

I didn't mean anything derogatory towards Parasound. I'm a lucky owner myself

floresjc,

Thank you for the clarification. 

Nuance

« Reply #86 on: 10 Feb 2010, 01:04 am »
No flame suit necessary, Zybar, as I felt the same thing about that comment.  I assume he meant Frank's SS amps, as claiming Frank's Hybrid amp is better than all SS amps doesn't sound like something Henry would say.  We'll let him elaborate, though. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #87 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:22 am »
Pretty strong statement...

Can't say I agree with it based on my listening and auditioning on Salk HT3's.  I found pure solid state, hybrid, and tube amps that floated my boat more than the AVA 550EX.

I will put on my anti-flame suit now.

George

Hahaha.

My fingers sometimes type faster than my words come out.  I believe that this is the result of being required to attend summer school every year during high school because my grades weren't very good.   I took typing with my homeroom teacher every summer, undoubtedly to his dismay. 

I meant that the Fet Valve Ultra is better than Frank's solid state amps.  I didn't mean that the Fet Valve Ultra is better than every solid state amp.  I haven't heard every solid state amp, and even if I had, I don't have the listening capabilities to make that determination, regardless of the extraordinary variables.   Nonetheless, the AVA Ultimate 70, a tube amp, floats my boat more than the AVA Insight 440 in my system in my room. 

Frank describes AVA equipment as "True state-of-the-art high-fidelity at prices you can afford."  If "true" is a synonym of "honest", then AVA could also be described as honest hi-fi at affordable prices.   The SongTower and the SongBird also bring hi-fi to listeners at affordable prices, and the SongTower has brought hi-fi to some listeners who, I suspect, might have been priced out of hi-fi if the SongTowers weren't available.  Jim doesn't state that the Song-series speakers are the best speaker in the world.  (He'll reserve that designation, I believe, for the HT4.)   I suggest that listeners consider AVA gear without any reservation.   Frank purposely does not build "money no object" electronic components, and although I am not suggesting AVA gear to "money no object" buyers, I might if I knew any.  Frank's vision, for 35+ years, has been to provide affordable, reliable, upgradeable, individually-built, and innovative products to serious music lovers. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #88 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:39 am »
We'll let him elaborate, though.

How did you know that I would elaborate?    :D    Don't answer that.  I am very sensitive to the truth.   :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #89 on: 10 Feb 2010, 05:09 am »
^ Haha.  In this case the truth won't hurt, as I simply knew you'd want to clear up the misunderstanding. 

OgOgilby

« Reply #90 on: 10 Feb 2010, 07:11 pm »
OgOgilby has a Para A-21, and the amp drives his HT2-TL with power and finesse.  I like OgOg's amp (I like his entire system), but even if I were replacing my amps with amps from another manufacturer, the A-21 would out of my price range.

The A-21 wasn't purchased new, or it would have been out of my price range also. I got it for the price of the AVA Insight 440. Three of AVA's amps (440H, Ultra 350, Ultra 550) would have cost more than the Halo did if I purchased them new, so it wasn't really an apples to apples price comparison.

Well, I did it.  Called Frank and ordered the Insight 240 and the Vision DAC Preamp combo with remote volume.  It should get here about the same time my SongTowers are due.  Can't wait.  Thanks.

Bigload, I think you will be very happy with your decision to mate your Salks with AVA gear. It's a good safe choice since you weren't able to audition alternative gear.

You mentioned being a long distance from a major city - where are you located?