Pace Car USB (ultraclock)

serengetiplains

Pace Car USB (ultraclock)
« on: 8 Sep 2010, 10:13 pm »
I today received and installed an Empirical Audio Pace Car USB (ultraclock) into my system. Running this unit from its wall-wart power supply, and probably without full break-in, it handily beats my Weiss AFI1.

The AFI1 was modified, to excellent effect, with Paul Hynes regulators---two low-V regs for the clock and input circuits + a master 3.3V reg. Power was supplied by lithium battery. With these mods, the AFI1 is, err, was one clean unit.

The Pace Car beats it. I have a Monolith battery supply charging for the Pace Car. I expect a sonic upgrade when I use it.

Smoking good work, Steve.

serengetiplains

Re: Pace Car USB (ultraclock)
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2010, 10:38 pm »
I flipped the switch on my Monolith to battery power.  Yup, nice improvement.   :thumb:

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2010, 01:10 am »
Super.  I'm pleased that it is an improvement.  This one still needs a little break-in, but not much.

I dont get to compare my products to other products, so this is really helpful, particularly in a system as good as yours.

Steve N.

serengetiplains

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2010, 03:06 am »
The Pace Car is fantastic stuff, Steve.  It must be the best bargain in digital audio.  It smokes a Playback Designs unit for digital I/O (itself modified by replacing the stock switcher with a battery supply, and replacing stock regs with Hynes units).  I'll be giving my Weiss unit away to one of my daughters.

The Pace Car is currently feeding a pair of Boz (Tact) amps I've modified by replacing all regs with Hynes units, all regulated supplies with either battery or Hynes supplies, added teflon bypasses to all power supplies, replaced all internal wiring with Oyaide digital cable, etc.  It's a seriously resolving system.

Thanks for a great product, Steve.  There's not a hint of that annoying digital sibilance, and low level detail retrieval is the best I've heard.  The music emerges from a beautiful, black silence.

joeling39

« Reply #4 on: 11 Sep 2010, 04:02 am »
Good stuff. Hopefully, I'm next in the queue.

Joe

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 11 Sep 2010, 04:05 pm »
Good stuff. Hopefully, I'm next in the queue.

Joe

Joe - yours is done and breaking in.

Steve N.