Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #440 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:00 pm »
Hopefully emails are getting through, cuz his PM box is full!

CSI

« Reply #441 on: 10 Mar 2009, 01:17 pm »

I'm not sure if the debate here is about Tommy's pricing strategy, his business model or just about the annoyance of a poster who is uncomfortable with the deep discount approach. Before I give you my 2c worth I can tell you, as a Cherry amp user, the performance of the amp is amazingly good-competitive with everything I've heard. As for his business practices, he has plenty of happy customers and supports them fully with technical backup. As for his sales model, is it odd? No. Is it unusual? Yes, but not that unusual. Check out the pricing strategy that Paul over at TADAC uses for instance. Pricing is always strategic and not necessarily related to the cost of goods plus a set markup. I remember when Porsche raised all their prices substantially. They told the business press that, for their clientele, a high price was a feature. It worked. Their sales went up.

As for the deep discount, consider this. Tommy probably hopes that by getting a few AC'ers to buy his amp at a very attractive price they will discover how good it is and post their impressions here. The more of that happens the more likely he is to sell amps to the general public.

There is an undertone of criticism in all this that this approach is somehow illegitimate. Well, we all know that many larger mfg. "loan" their gear to pro reviewers without expecting to get it back in every case. I've also heard of mfg. selling their expensive gear to reviewers for cents on the dollar. We are also aware that if you work in the business - even peripherally - or know someone who does you can often get an "accommodation" discount which can be up to 1/2 price. These are all "strategies" designed to get the products into the hands of the influentials. If they make you uncomfortable, move on. Or call 911 like the Chicken McNuggets lady. But don't waste your time bashing a guy whose trying to make a living.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
slight delay...
« Reply #442 on: 11 Mar 2009, 11:25 am »
Thanks, all, and sorry for any delay in communication.  We are getting lots of email.  I'll try to clean my PM box soon (use the regular support@DigitalAmp.com for now)...  ;)
-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
some parts in short supply
« Reply #443 on: 14 Mar 2009, 06:41 pm »
All,

Regarding the $2400 deal on the Cherry PLUS...

1. We are running out of silkscreened faceplates.  We silk screen them separately and there is a lead time.

We have ONE Cherry PLUS in stock, but the faceplate is "blank".  The remaining silkscreened faceplates are for non-PLUS Cherry units.  We can build another one or two units to order, then the intro deal is over.

2. We are running out of remote jack wire assemblies.

The remaining stock Cherry PLUS unit doesn't have the remote jack.  We are trying to get them in ASAP but if you want this unit without the jack, it can ship right away.

3. We have no 230VAC transformers in stock.  The lead time is about 8 weeks, and we order as necessary.

All units are now 120VAC only.  We also have a few DAC4800As in stock, by the way.  It is possible to modify these to be nearly identical to the Cherry or even Cherry PLUS.  It will still look like a DAC4800A, however, with the front LEDs and standby button.  Send an email to Support@DigitalAmp.com if you are interested.  Thanks.

-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: slight delay...
« Reply #444 on: 15 Mar 2009, 12:01 am »
Thanks, all, and sorry for any delay in communication.  We are getting lots of email.  I'll try to clean my PM box soon (use the regular support@DigitalAmp.com for now)...  ;)
-Tommy

Back up and running with direct email, and cleaned my PM inbox too...
-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Comments on Cherry PLUS ! ! !
« Reply #445 on: 15 Mar 2009, 09:10 pm »
See here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65976.new#new

This is the first Cherry PLUS review.

Thanks.

-Tommy

jwes

« Reply #446 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm »
Tommy,

Congrats - looks nice!  I went a somewhat similar route - Spectron Musician III Mk2's run in mono.  Happy to see more high quality choices in the Class D/digital/switching variety surfacing...

Jim

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #447 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:16 pm »
Tommy,

Congrats - looks nice!  I went a somewhat similar route - Spectron Musician III Mk2's run in mono.  Happy to see more high quality choices in the Class D/digital/switching variety surfacing...

Jim
Thanks, Jim.  Scan through if you have time, and see Lapsan's (orientalexpress) comments...

mittg

« Reply #448 on: 22 Mar 2009, 02:46 pm »
I own a DAC CHERRY amp. It powers my Apogee Cal Sig's. Operation is flawless. The sound repro is the clearest I have ever operated. Over the years I have used mostly tubes, Cary, Conrad Johnson and Manley. Currently I have a few of these amps to compare. Without exception the Dac Cherry reproduces music clearer and with a wider spectrum.  As far as Tommys business model is concerned that is up to him. An entreprenur takes risks. If he has to sell at or below cost to get his product noticed, so be it. I am the lucky beneficiary. You can be too. He is a trustworthy intelligent individual. Highly recommended product. :thumb:

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #449 on: 22 Mar 2009, 05:45 pm »
I own a DAC CHERRY amp. It powers my Apogee Cal Sig's. Operation is flawless. The sound repro is the clearest I have ever operated. Over the years I have used mostly tubes, Cary, Conrad Johnson and Manley. Currently I have a few of these amps to compare. Without exception the Dac Cherry reproduces music clearer and with a wider spectrum.  As far as Tommys business model is concerned that is up to him. An entreprenur takes risks. If he has to sell at or below cost to get his product noticed, so be it. I am the lucky beneficiary. You can be too. He is a trustworthy intelligent individual. Highly recommended product. :thumb:
Thanks for your kind post!
BR,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
cross-threads
« Reply #450 on: 22 Mar 2009, 11:36 pm »

JDarby - Stereomojo.com

• Stereomojo.com
« Reply #451 on: 26 Mar 2009, 02:35 pm »
Hello,

This is James Darby, publisher of Stereomojo.com.  I've looked at your homepage and read the posts here. We have a special area of expertise in "digital" amps per our internationally praised shootout in 2007 of 11 different such amps. We also have a review of the Spectron Musician MkIII pending. A pair was sent to us to use as monoblocks for review. We would be interested in doing a formal review of one of your amps (you may choose). If you are interested, please contact me at:

publisher@stereomojo.com

Thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #452 on: 4 May 2009, 07:15 pm »
Hello,

This is James Darby, publisher of Stereomojo.com.  I've looked at your homepage and read the posts here. We have a special area of expertise in "digital" amps per our internationally praised shootout in 2007 of 11 different such amps. We also have a review of the Spectron Musician MkIII pending. A pair was sent to us to use as monoblocks for review. We would be interested in doing a formal review of one of your amps (you may choose). If you are interested, please contact me at:

publisher@stereomojo.com

Thanks
James,
We have been rather quiet lately, as you can see.  We ran out of hardware, and we've been working to fix that.  Lots of custom stuff in the Cherry and DAC4800A.  Anyway, did you get our email last month about a demo unit?  You might want to read early in this thread about our thought on "formal reviews".  We have been looking for a different kind of publication than a Stereophile type of venue.  In your opinion, aside from the print aspect, what is the biggest difference between Stereomojo and the other product review sites?  Thanks again for your post.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
www.DigitalAmp.com site updates / newsletter due out soon
« Reply #453 on: 11 May 2009, 08:23 pm »
We just updated our site to include the Cherry PLUS, a few new reviews, and "inside the box" pictures of the Cherry and Cherry PLUS...  Here's a direct link to the new Cherry PLUS page:
http://www.DigitalAmp.com/Cherry_PLUS_amp.htm

We have a newsletter coming out very soon (tomorrow?), so if you aren't a subscriber, please join ASAP.  There will be an awesome deal on some demo units.  As you already know if you're a subscriber, we send out very few newsletters (only a few per year).  Here's the link to subscribe:
http://www.DigitalAmp.com/news.htm

Thanks, everybody!

-Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Newsletter went out yesterday
« Reply #454 on: 13 May 2009, 12:01 pm »
Hey, everybody.  Our newsletter went out yesterday.

If you didn't receive it, fill out the form here, and we'll forward a copy:
http://www.digitalamp.com/news.htm

And for those who did received the newsletter, yes, we realize there was a [minor] typo.  Sorry about that.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
lower power Cherry???
« Reply #455 on: 28 Jun 2009, 04:44 am »
We received so many questions about lower power amps over the last few years.  The DAC4800A, Cherry, and Cherry PLUS all put out more than 1000W total (500Wpc).

We are now working on a new model, the Cherry jr, with a smaller and lighter transformer.  It still puts out plenty of power at 180Wpc into 8 ohms and 360Wpc into 4 ohms.  SNR is still more than 110dB.  The sound is just as fast and dynamic as Class-A at high levels and and just as smooth and detailed as tubes at low levels.  We plan an early adopter special before this model goes up on DigitalAmp.com.  Pricing is not set at this point.  If you would like to receive news about availability, please sign up for our confidential newsletter here:
http://www.DigitalAmp.com/news.htm

By the way, we have one Cherry demo unit available (not the Cherry PLUS).  Thanks, and hope you are all well.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #456 on: 28 Jun 2009, 04:48 am »
Get an error when I try to sign up for email and hit enter.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #457 on: 28 Jun 2009, 05:20 am »
Get an error when I try to sign up for email and hit enter.

Sorry about that!!!  It seems there is something wrong on the host server, and we are trying to resolve it ASAP.

In the meantime, just send me a private Audio Circle message with your first and last name and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks for the heads up.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
no PMs?
« Reply #458 on: 28 Jun 2009, 05:25 am »
Crap!  It looks like the PM system is not working on AC!  Is this a known issue since the re-do?