• Digital Amplifier Company
Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #303 on: 6 Nov 2008, 07:05 am »
Whats the going price of the cherry?
Mike

i send a pm and didnt hear back about price -------curious

Or is it?
M

I sent you a private message with the price.  Did you get it?

The unit that was at the October rave might go up for sale someday, so let me know if you are interested.  That make some time to check/re-test.

Tomorrow is the last day for the special deal.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Wiki wiki ???
« Reply #304 on: 6 Nov 2008, 09:19 pm »
Plugging the DAC4800A, I tested into a power conditioner (RSA Duke) didn't alter it's SQ.

I never tried the stock power cord, I used the same Supra LoRads I use on my Tact amps.

I returned the DAC4800A, and received a wiki wiki refund.

Mahalo Tommy.

Aloha,

Dan

For those not in the "Hawaii know", wiki wiki means extra fast.
We never had a DAC4800A come back before!  Dan bought the amp to try it out more or less and made some pretty good suggestions for future modifications.  We then sold it after retesting at a discount.
There's a cool picture that Dan took earlier in this thread...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
new deal!
« Reply #305 on: 14 Nov 2008, 02:56 am »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Is the high-end market dead?
« Reply #306 on: 19 Nov 2008, 11:06 am »
After offering a 66.6% discount through the end of the month, we have received a lack-luster response!  This is despite great products, great reviews, and even great exposure.  How do we explain this?  Well, we think the market is in a holding pattern due to economic issues.  We hope to see this as a passing phase, and wish all audiophiles the best as we plow throught the mud.  Fortunately, we have invested in parts and assemblies enough to build some inventory for quick delivery.  Thanks as always...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #307 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:05 am »
Tommy....

Here's the link for Mike's review of your Cherry amp...some may not have seen it. :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61748.0

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #308 on: 22 Nov 2008, 12:06 am »
Tommy....

Here's the link for Mike's review of your Cherry amp...some may not have seen it. :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61748.0

Thanks.  Some new comments on the "new" 66.6% off thread, which was moved:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61890.msg555282;topicseen#new

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #309 on: 22 Nov 2008, 07:07 pm »
Mike

Now $2K until the end of the month.
Have you read any of the reviews?
Thanks, Mike.

-Tommy

CSI

« Reply #310 on: 22 Nov 2008, 09:07 pm »
Mike

Now $2K until the end of the month.
Have you read any of the reviews?
Thanks, Mike.

-Tommy

Hi Tommy,

I sent an email through your website yesterday but didn't get a reply. Are you saying the Cherry is available to ACer's for $2K through November? What about the DAC4800?
Thanks,
CSI

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #311 on: 22 Nov 2008, 10:11 pm »
What about the DAC4800?

$1200

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Special Deal Almost Over
« Reply #312 on: 25 Nov 2008, 09:08 pm »
Only 5 more days on the 1/3 price deal...

Just a reminder.

Thanks, all.

Regards,
Tommy

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #313 on: 28 Nov 2008, 05:22 pm »
Last weekend for the deal...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Amazon deal too
« Reply #314 on: 30 Nov 2008, 04:13 am »
For those of you who haven't seen the 66.6% off thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61890.msg558459;topicseen#new

Info just put up about the Amazon DAC4800A and Cherry deals, plus a link.

People are buying stuff.  Maybe we're not a "country of whiners" after all.  We wish everybody great holiday shopping!  Hey, where's that thread about the economy?  Can someone post a link, please?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
End of year SPECIAL ! ! !
« Reply #315 on: 17 Dec 2008, 11:33 am »
We're planning a special for our newsletter subscribers only...

Please sign up if you haven't already:
http://www.digitalamp.com/news.htm

By the way, we have a DAC4800A demo unit available, too.  Thanks.

-Tommy

CSI

« Reply #316 on: 20 Dec 2008, 06:51 pm »
Cherry amp impressions..

I received my Cherry amp a few days ago and wanted to post a few early reactions. I will try to follow up with more in depth comments in a few weeks after I have lived with it for a good period of time.

First, the amp is dead quiet. It is also much better looking than I thought it would be. The pictures really don't do it justice - the deep cherry color of the faceplate is very pleasing.

My early impressions of the sound:
No problems at all. A tremendous sense of power, particularly in the bass. One of the first things I noticed was a somewhat cleaner and more extended treble than I'm used to. This is a good thing in my system (ACI Sapphires, passive preamp, small deadish room). Perhaps related to this is a surprising improvement in PRAT over any of my previous amps. Toe tapping and head bobbing started very quickly. The Cherry also has an amazing sound stage and imaging. This is true even when listening well off axis and it is not subtle. I am also hearing an across the board improvement in detail. This is not a "fingers squeaking on the strings" sort of thing so much as an enhanced ability to pick out and follow each member of a well recorded jazz combo. The old analogy of someone cleaning the window is apt. I would say this amplifier is well worth hearing and should be compared with the best you can come up with.

UPDATE...
After two weeks of listening it is hard to add anything to the above. I'm just tempted to go back and underline everything already said. Here is a musical example: Kenny Barron and Regina Carter have a great duo album (Freefall). Carter's violin sound is resiny and forward. This can translate into "steely" through some amps. With the Cherry you can hear and feel the instrument. It is right there, with no edginess. Very much like hearing her perform live. When Barron solos on "Softly.." she carries the melody in the background (there are no other sidemen). On some systems her background playing can sound almost like an annoying bee. With the Cherry in the system you can ignore the piano if you want and just listen to her amazing tone and control. No droning at all. As for Barron, he reminds me that in the hands of some great jazz players the piano is a percussion instrument. With the Cherry in place you not only hear the chords, you feel them. (And, no offense, but listen to this album to understand the difference between "smooth" jazz and the real thing). Enough said. If this kind of presentation appeals to you, try a Cherry. It could be too much of a good thing in some systems so take that as a caution. This is not the amp of choice for gentle  background music. It won't let you ignore the music. I haven't yet had the chance to hear it with a tube preamp which could be the magic combo as suggested by Mike.

Bill
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2009, 03:50 pm by CSI »

jman66

« Reply #317 on: 20 Dec 2008, 07:11 pm »
CSI, perfect, succinct impression of the Cherry amp.
I've been trying to word my experience of the DAC4800A and what you've said about the Cherry also applies to the 4800A. I have the DAC4800A driving Maggie 1.6s, Bryston BDA-1 as the source feed by a Squezebox Duet. I was using a Jeff Rowland Capri preamp but recently sold it and I'm on the search for a new pre.

-jim

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #318 on: 20 Dec 2008, 07:14 pm »

Cherry amp impressions..

I received my Cherry amp a few days ago and wanted to post a few early reactions. I will try to follow up with more in depth comments in a few weeks after I have lived with it for a good period of time.

First, the amp is dead quiet. It is also much better looking than I thought it would be. The pictures really don't do it justice - the deep cherry color of the faceplate is very pleasing.

My early impressions of the sound:
No problems at all. A tremendous sense of power, particularly in the bass. One of the first things I noticed was a somewhat cleaner and more extended treble than I'm used to. This is a good thing in my system (ACI Sapphires, passive preamp, small deadish room). Perhaps related to this is a surprising improvement in PRAT over any of my previous amps. Toe tapping and head bobbing started very quickly. The Cherry also has an amazing sound stage and imaging. This is true even when listening well off axis and it is not subtle. I am also hearing an across the board improvement in detail. This is not a "fingers squeaking on the strings" sort of thing so much as an enhanced ability to pick out and follow each member of a well recorded jazz combo. The old analogy of someone cleaning the window is apt. I would say this amplifier is well worth hearing and should be compared with the best you can come up with.

What are you using for a passive pre, cabling and what's your source? Just curious as I've always felt the digital amp can be fatiguing on the highs with anything other than tube preamps( too much of a good thing, tube pre's mellow things out). But then again I've never heard it with a passive pre so that could be an ideal match. Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

Cheers,
Robin

CSI

« Reply #319 on: 21 Dec 2008, 12:28 am »

My passive is the Channel Islands Audio PLC.1. I've had several passives over the years and this is the only one that seems to be truly "invisible". The Cherry is sensitive to cables. Of the AC cords I have on hand I'm getting the best results with a Signal Magic. All other audio cabling is DH Labs Air Matrix and Q-10. I started out with all Audience Conductor but the DH Labs works better which really surprised me since I would have predicted the opposite. Go figure. DAC's are TADAC (sweet and mellow) and CIA (more revealing). Both sound great. More impressions after the holidays. Secondary source is Rhapsody streaming via Sonos. Main source is a Qsonix Server. If you read the professional reviews it is said to have the same sonic performance (through an external DAC as above) as the Sooloos but at a much lower cost (see my post after the Qsonix press release in this circle).

I'd love to try a tube pre someday. So far there is nothing at all fatiguing about the sound (in my system anyway) but it is several degrees more involving than with some of the more laid back amps I've used recently.