Cherry Amplifier® ---- What We're About 🍒

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Hardly Used DAC4800A Available
« Reply #260 on: 3 Oct 2008, 12:59 am »
We have a DAC4800A amp available now that was used only for a few weeks.  It's in perfect condition and was fully re-tested.  We are willing to sell it for cheap to good home (of an AC member)!  Let me know if you're interested.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
SMPS versus Linear Power Supply
« Reply #261 on: 6 Oct 2008, 10:47 pm »
We were asked to address this issue by a customer.  The question is...

"Why go with a linear supply instead of a switching supply?"

Well, the reason is simple.  An SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) that can output enough power to drive a DAC4800A (or Cherry) amplifier and handle the dynamic current variations at max power would to be very expensive.  In fact, just the SMPS might cost more than the entire amplifier does now, including the linear supply.  Despite the higher cost of linear power supply materials, a good SMPS design meant for driving a very high performance amp requires brute force techniques that make "standard" SMPS designs impractical.  Linear power supplies have some nice characteristics for driving amplifiers, such as a natural "soft dive" to their output voltage when heavily loaded.  Replicating this in an SMPS design is usually not practical.  There are also issues with the output ripple of a switching supply interacting with the output ripple of a switching amplifier...

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Slew Rate of DAC4800A and Cherry
« Reply #262 on: 9 Oct 2008, 03:09 am »
This is another topic we are asked about frequently... The DAC4800A and Cherry amplifiers are "switching amps", so technically, the internal slew rate is that of the output stage (about 7200V/uS). The output filter of the amp removes the switching wave and yields an output slew rate of about 20V/uS (with an 8 ohm load). This is a respectable number, but keep in mind that it is limited by the output filter and increases as load impedance goes down.

The frequency response goes up to 60KHz on the DAC4800A and Cherry amps. This is a more valuable number than slew rate to many.

The sound of these amps can't be summed up with measurements (even though they are excellent) since they are designed from the ground up to deliver the best in music reproduction, not just test results in a lab. Comments welcome.

jman66

Re: Digital Amplifier Company DAC4800A and Cherry amps
« Reply #263 on: 9 Oct 2008, 09:14 am »
Tommy,

So, using a <= 4 ohm speaker would result in a higher slew rate. What are the sonic implications of this, if any?

-jim

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #264 on: 10 Oct 2008, 04:54 am »
Tommy,

So, using a <= 4 ohm speaker would result in a higher slew rate. What are the sonic implications of this, if any?

-jim

None.  This is more than adequate for any practical audio source.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Re: Hardly Used DAC4800A Available
« Reply #265 on: 13 Oct 2008, 05:16 am »
We have a DAC4800A amp available now that was used only for a few weeks.  It's in perfect condition and was fully re-tested.  We are willing to sell it for cheap to good home (of an AC member)!  Let me know if you're interested.

This amp has been sold.  Thanks.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Oct 2008 NYAR
« Reply #266 on: 21 Oct 2008, 10:28 pm »

THE_ANSWERS

Re: Hardly Used DAC4800A Available
« Reply #267 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:06 pm »

This amp has been sold.  Thanks.

havent heard much here lately.......  are u still selling these days?       i know times are a little tough in general,,,,   maybe you have inventory you want to "unload"?????     sorry i wasn't to nice before but still think you should consider dealers or at least sell online fr the "real price" if you know what i mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE_ANSWERS

« Reply #268 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:46 pm »
Due to limited production, we encourage you to purchase at least one of these amazing amps TODAY!  Limit three units per customer.

These are priced at $6000.00 each.

I better get my order in now  :wink:

this is what I'm talkin about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miklorsmith

« Reply #269 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:48 pm »
You are an unkind person.  Your communication skills are also abominable.  You should quit thinking you have all the answers and take some classes on human interaction.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #270 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:50 pm »
You are an unkind person.  Your communication skills are also abominable.

x2 THE_ANSWERS w/o a clue,,,,, :scratch: :lol:

THE_ANSWERS

« Reply #271 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:13 pm »

it a little fustrating to me since i heard the dac amp years ago and even complimented this guy on the product but then i commented on his sales and markting with a few suggestions....    seems I was mostly ignored.     about my comm skill I TYPE FAST, SO WHAT?????   see, there are caps for you in case youre going to point that out too

i'm an audio lover and dont like to spend lots of money on it mainly because i don't think it necessary and there are a lot of scams out there

when you see a company saying how they save so much money by no advertising and selling only direct you might think "great deal", but the prices are so high there's no way id buy something like that....  you call that mean?????????????

mcullinan

« Reply #272 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:18 pm »
Answers... you dont speak English that well... and there are ways to approach matters and  you are practically disabled because of the language barrier. Like when I say" You are gay!" Do I mean you are enjoying the intimate company of another man, or do I mean you are a happy go lucky kind of guy.
Exactly.
Now you see.
Mike aa

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #273 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:21 pm »

it a little fustrating to me since i heard the dac amp years ago and even complimented this guy on the product but then i commented on his sales and markting with a few suggestions....    seems I was mostly ignored.     about my comm skill I TYPE FAST, SO WHAT?????   see, there are caps for you in case youre going to point that out too

i'm an audio lover and dont like to spend lots of money on it mainly because i don't think it necessary and there are a lot of scams out there

when you see a company saying how they save so much money by no advertising and selling only direct you might think "great deal", but the prices are so high there's no way id buy something like that....  you call that mean?????????????

You've made this same point numerous times already in this thread. Your continued prodding simply makes you look like an A$$hole. :roll:

You've had your say, what else is there to say? :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin

miklorsmith

« Reply #274 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:23 pm »
First of all, you're not clear with your message.  What are you actually trying to say?  Next, HOW you present questions/opinions has as much to do with your azzhole perception as what you're asking/saying at the core.  You come across like an uneducated jackass more than happy to espouse your opinion of everything and anything, i.e. THE ANSWERS.  Sheesh.

If the product in question doesn't work for you just don't buy it.  Lots of stuff doesn't work for lots of folks.  I don't go around asking Wilson speakers why dont theyy get of t her e  dumb ASSES amds mak a hi-eficency swpekr cuz thats whut i LIKE.

They have a business model, pricing strategy, R&D costs that have to be defrayed, a whole universe really that you are not part of and not entitled to know about.  Most companies wouldn't give a forum like this the time of day.  They owe you literally NOTHING.  Get over it.

And, learn how to mak wurds so peepl cn unde r s  tand youu its hard to rwead youre crapy riting.

mcullinan

« Reply #275 on: 23 Oct 2008, 06:10 pm »
First of all, you're not clear with your message.  What are you actually trying to say?  Next, HOW you present questions/opinions has as much to do with your azzhole perception as what you're asking/saying at the core.  You come across like an uneducated jackass more than happy to espouse your opinion of everything and anything, i.e. THE ANSWERS.  Sheesh.

If the product in question doesn't work for you just don't buy it.  Lots of stuff doesn't work for lots of folks.  I don't go around asking Wilson speakers why dont theyy get of t her e  dumb ASSES amds mak a hi-eficency swpekr cuz thats whut i LIKE.

They have a business model, pricing strategy, R&D costs that have to be defrayed, a whole universe really that you are not part of and not entitled to know about.  Most companies wouldn't give a forum like this the time of day.  They owe you literally NOTHING.  Get over it.

And, learn how to mak wurds so peepl cn unde r s  tand youu its hard to rwead youre crapy riting.
Amen.
M

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
an offer / regarding comments from and reaction to "THE_ANSWERS"
« Reply #276 on: 23 Oct 2008, 10:42 pm »
Hi, folks.

We feel it's not necessary to bicker when receiving complaints about our marketing or prices.  We are truly doing our best to provide a fine product as inexpensive as we can, within reason.  Replying directly may be seen as justifying the unproductive commentary.  Thanks to those who respect the work we do, and to those that don't, please refrain from the mud slinging.

For the next two weeks, we'd like to offer a HUGE (seriously) discount to Audio Circle members.  Send me a PM if you are interested.  We have stock.  This is our "take advantage of the slow economy" special.

Best Regards,
Tommy

THE_ANSWERS

Hi, folks.

We feel it's not necessary to bicker when receiving complaints about our marketing or prices.  We are truly doing our best to provide a fine product as inexpensive as we can, within reason.  Replying directly may be seen as justifying the unproductive commentary.  Thanks to those who respect the work we do, and to those that don't, please refrain from the mud slinging.

For the next two weeks, we'd like to offer a HUGE (seriously) discount to Audio Circle members.  Send me a PM if you are interested.  We have stock.  This is our "take advantage of the slow economy" special.

Best Regards,
Tommy

no harm intended......  i think the crowd here was harsh but what do you expect!!!!!!!!   the slow economy special may be a good idea,,,, is it direct?

satfrat

• Restricted
Hi, folks.

Best Regards,
Tommy

no harm intended......  i think the crowd here was harsh but what do you expect!!!!!!!!   the slow economy special may be a good idea,,,, is it direct?

You still don't have a clue NO_ANSWERS but what do you expect!!!!!!!! :lol:

I look forward to hearing your Cherry this weekend amp Tommy, either with the VSR's or the B&W's. :thumb: It'll be a 5hr drive for me & my pup. Should be a good time. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
Hi, folks.

Best Regards,
Tommy

You still don't have a clue NO_ANSWERS but what do you expect!!!!!!!! :lol:

I look forward to hearing your Cherry this weekend amp Tommy, either with the VSR's or the B&W's. :thumb: It'll be a 5hr drive for me & my pup. Should be a good time. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

Good to hear from you!  I'm amazed that you are traveling so far again for the October event.  Thanks to Mike for hosting!  At least you have a sweet ride to drive down...

The Cherry I'm bringing (assuming all goes well) will be referred to as the "Cherry PLUS" since it has an improved transformer (even bigger, with hum killer ring), better output inductors, and bigger reservoir caps.  We are planning to test this monster on the bench tomorrow.  You'll LOVE it!

Looking forward to it!  Thanks as always.

Warm Regards,
Tommy