Need some guidance on fine tuning WTA setup

drubin

Need some guidance on fine tuning WTA setup
« on: 6 Nov 2012, 07:35 am »
I've looked through a lot of the topics in this Circle and not found quite what I'm looking for, so I'm starting this new topic. I'd like your thoughts on this re: the Amadeus.

What approach do you take to the relationships between the height of the tonearm bearing cup, the tonearm suspension pillar and the amount of damping fluid in the bearing cup? When do you make a change to each of these elements?  Am I correct that one way to adjust the amount of tonearm damping -- other than to add or remove damping fluid -- is to simply change the position of the golf ball in the cup, either by lowering the cup and/or raising the suspension pillar? 

SteevA

Re: Need some guidance on fine tuning WTA setup
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2012, 12:17 pm »
Get the height of the suspension pillar where you want it first - to give the correct VTA. Then position the cup more or less where you have about 1/3 of the ball above the cup. Add fluid till it comes about 1/3 of the way up the ball. From then on adjust emersion depth by ear and by changing the position of the cup.

Im sure there are other approaches but the above should get you there.

ggkasper

Re: Need some guidance on fine tuning WTA setup
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2012, 12:24 am »
It definetely took me a while to set up mine properly, and even after some time thinking that it was perfect I found new ways to make it better, or closer to what it should sound. Getting the golf ball centered in the cup and the azimuth is not really easy. After some stress I did it by letting the silicone cup fall unscrewed so it stays aligned but no touching the golf ball. Then try to look from the centred top of the ball and centre it. After that reposition the sili cup up so the ball is not too dumped. After the ball is properly centred everything gets easier, just don't forget to maintain VTA level when centring it. And if you haven't already, try the double grounding as explained in a thread in this forum, huge difference. I have a GTA so I don't know if these tips will work for the other amadeus models but I believe yes.

sorry for my english

Gabriel