ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!

dminches

Re: ModWright Oppo BDP-95 Mods?.....YES!
« Reply #120 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:15 pm »
For some reason Dan's modded players are very sensitive to microphonic tubes. I also had the same promblem with Kenrads and 1950 black plate tungsol. When I opened and closed the drawer you could hear the noise you notice through the speakers. The answer is to find non microphonic tubes.

Is any tubed equipment not sensitive to microphonic tubes?  I think this is why people generally avoid them.

NutBuster

« Reply #121 on: 31 Oct 2011, 03:53 pm »
For some reason Dan's modded players are very sensitive to microphonic tubes. I also had the same promblem with Kenrads and 1950 black plate tungsol. When I opened and closed the drawer you could hear the noise you notice through the speakers. The answer is to find non microphonic tubes.
I've heard, ha, ha, the short 6SN7's are less 'noisy'; got two pr I'll have too check-it-out.

The thing I've never 'got' bout 'lectronics is that "works sometime & doesn't work sometimes" thingy.
Frustrates the heck out of me!
Cause if its "broke" I'll fix it; butt this maybe will, maybe wont situation just puts me in an EDweird space.  :duh:
Ugh!

Thanks for the input & welcome too the forum.

NutBuster

« Reply #122 on: 31 Oct 2011, 03:56 pm »
What "all region" mod does MWI use?

Getting 'wrong region' warning on multiple discs.
Repeatedly.

NutBuster

« Reply #123 on: 31 Oct 2011, 04:06 pm »
Try some Herbie's Audio Lab
Tenderfeet or IsoCups w/ Lampblack Balls
under the tube mod power supply
and under the MWI/Oppo 95
and one or two Herbie's
"SuperSonic Stabilizers" on the top of each.

Each unit is on it's own iso platform (already).
W/RF shielding & wooden vibration blocks on top.
I've got it "coverED"!  :thumb:

rlmacklin

« Reply #124 on: 31 Oct 2011, 07:02 pm »
Tube mod Brother/NutBuster,

oppo-95-region-free-instructions file downloaded from ModWright webpage:

"User manual, Oppo BDP-93 / 95 PRO kit
How to use the mod:
• By default, your bluray player is region free for DVD. To set the bluray region to A, B or C, please
press 1, 2 or 3 on the remote when the player is in standby. The player will automatically power on,
when 1, 2 or 3 is pressed. The selected region will be stored and remembered, even when removing
the mains supply from the player.
• To disable the automatic power on, press the blue button on the remote once.
• To enable automatic power on again, press the yellow button once.
How to change the remote control code used:
If you have more than one Oppo player available, you can select the remote code address that the
regionfree kit must respond to.
Please note - when you change the remote code setting on the regionfree kit, you will have to select the
corresponding code on the remote to change the code again.
When the player is in standby, point the remote towards the player, and press the following keys on the
remote:
TOP MENU - SETUP - RED - X (Where X is remote code 1, 2 or 3.)
Remember to change the switch on the backside of the Oppo remote control to the same setting, and
also in the setup menu.
How to update the firmware on regionfree kit:
If needed, the regionfree kit can be firmware updated, please note that this is not the same as the
players firmware.
If there is a new firmware available, you will receive or download this image file: “bluimage.frm”.
You will need a standard FAT or FAT32 formatted usb memory stick. The firmware update file, is named
“bluimage.frm”. Copy this file to your usb memory stick, please do not rename it. There can be other
files on the usb memory stick at the same time.
Once copied to the usb memory stick, insert it in the front usb connector of your player, only the front
usb connector can be used. When the player is in standby, press the following keys on your remote :
TOP MENU – SETUP – RED – 9
Now your player will automatically start up, and read from the USB memory stick. If there is a LED on
your USB stick, it will flash for several seconds while the firmware is updated.
After approx. 20 seconds, the regionfree kit is updated. You will have to power off the player, to let new
firmware work."

NutBuster

« Reply #125 on: 2 Nov 2011, 07:43 am »
My Mod Bro,
BIG help!
I've been killing myself tonight w/region error disease!
Neither new disc I got tonight would play.
I've been having probs since getting "Pulp Fiction".
No "CC" BD's would play.
Couldn't get a Fox BD too play either, maybe five or six, till "Alien".
Very frustrating.
Especially the fact I'm in R1 & its the R1's that wont play!!
No probs w/any 'import' discs.

EDweird that some old & new R1's would play & some old & new R1's wouldn't play?!?!
So, I didn't think it was a region related prob cause all regions that I have did play (again, just not all R1's).
I hope this doesn't mean I have too change the region while in standby for every diff region disc or "CC" I own.
Pain!

Looks like tomorrow is "PF", "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (both), "Die Hard", "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", Cast Away", "Everything Must Go", & all "CC's" BD movie night!  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #126 on: 6 Nov 2011, 06:43 pm »
Please call or let us know if you are having problems with the region free module.  Not sure if it is a hardware or software issue.

Thanks,

Dan W.

LCKYLUCIANO

« Reply #127 on: 22 Nov 2011, 03:22 am »
Hi everybody! I have a question, how good is the ModOppoBDP-95 when used as cd player against Hi End cd players like, Brystol BCD-1, Cambridge Audio 840C, Musical fidelity M6CD etc...  Thanks

ttsakai

« Reply #128 on: 4 Dec 2011, 08:50 pm »
Hi All-

I've had my Modwright Oppo 95 for several months now and I was wondering if anyone has done any direct comparisons of playback from disc media vs. file-based playback on this unit? I've had a couple of listening sessions in my listening room with multiple colleagues who are members of BAAS (Bay Area Audiophile Society) and in our activities in comparing the quality of playback the group came to a pretty clear consensus.

The findings were that disc-based playback was definitely inferior to file-based playback on the Modwright Oppo 95. It was the feeling of the group that the comparison wasn't even close. For an example of one comparison we played the Channel Classics Ivan Fisher Mahler Symphony No. 2 on SACD vs. 192/24 version and the conclusion was that the file-based performance was so much more refined and exhibited more control and presence/energy vs. the SACD. I realize that we're dealing with two different formats so the next thing I did was to take a CD that I had and I ripped it using DBPoweramp to FLAC format for playback on the Modwright Oppo 95 with the goal of comparing the CD playback with the FLAC file-based playback of the same material.

Once again, the group came to the conclusion that the file-based playback was much better in the quality of the music reproduction in comparison to the source CD playback. Has anyone (Dan included) found this to be the case with their experience thus far with their  modded Oppo 95 unit? I haven't seen this discussed at all thus far and I was curious as to why this is the case. Or others not finding this to be the case and thus the reason for not raising it?

Thanks,
Tracy

P.S. By the way I forgot to mention that I think the Modwright Oppo 95 is a terrific value for the level of performance it provides given its price point. My fellow BAAS members actually think it's a steal! My systems is "sort of" high end and this $3K front end piece definitely holds its own with the rest of my system.

Just for reference my system includes the following:
Modwright Oppo 95 (upgraded umbilical cord, Mullard GZ34, Sophia Electric 6SN7)
Joule-Electra LA-450ME preamp
Plinius SA-103 mono blocks
eFicion F300 with Stillpoints SS Ultra under woofer and satellite cabinets
Synergistic Research Apex cables (interconnects, power cords, etc.)
ASC Basstraps
First reflections panels on side walls, ceiling and floor covering, back wall GIK bass treatment
etc.
You get the general idea ...

rnrmf1971

« Reply #129 on: 4 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm »
Hi All-

I've had my Modwright Oppo 95 for several months now and I was wondering if anyone has done any direct comparisons of playback from disc media vs. file-based playback on this unit? I've had a couple of listening sessions in my listening room with multiple colleagues who are members of BAAS (Bay Area Audiophile Society) and in our activities in comparing the quality of playback the group came to a pretty clear consensus.

The findings were that disc-based playback was definitely inferior to file-based playback on the Modwright Oppo 95. It was the feeling of the group that the comparison wasn't even close. For an example of one comparison we played the Channel Classics Ivan Fisher Mahler Symphony No. 2 on SACD vs. 192/24 version and the conclusion was that the file-based performance was so much more refined and exhibited more control and presence/energy vs. the SACD. I realize that we're dealing with two different formats so the next thing I did was to take a CD that I had and I ripped it using DBPoweramp to FLAC format for playback on the Modwright Oppo 95 with the goal of comparing the CD playback with the FLAC file-based playback of the same material.

Once again, the group came to the conclusion that the file-based playback was much better in the quality of the music reproduction in comparison to the source CD playback. Has anyone (Dan included) found this to be the case with their experience thus far with their  modded Oppo 95 unit? I haven't seen this discussed at all thus far and I was curious as to why this is the case. Or others not finding this to be the case and thus the reason for not raising it?

Thanks,
Tracy

P.S. By the way I forgot to mention that I think the Modwright Oppo 95 is a terrific value for the level of performance it provides given its price point. My fellow BAAS members actually think it's a steal! My systems is "sort of" high end and this $3K front end piece definitely holds its own with the rest of my system.

Just for reference my system includes the following:
Modwright Oppo 95 (upgraded umbilical cord, Mullard GZ34, Sophia Electric 6SN7)
Joule-Electra LA-450ME preamp
Plinius SA-103 mono blocks
eFicion F300 with Stillpoints SS Ultra under woofer and satellite cabinets
Synergistic Research Apex cables (interconnects, power cords, etc.)
ASC Basstraps
First reflections panels on side walls, ceiling and floor covering, back wall GIK bass treatment
etc.
You get the general idea ...

I ripped numerous cd's to flac and compared playback on both a stock Oppo 93 and 95 and found the flac versions (on USB stick) had a more analog sense of ease and flow, while being more resolving on both ends of the frequency range.  That was the tipping point in me seriously looking into a server based system of some kind.

Jeffy

« Reply #130 on: 10 Dec 2011, 08:42 pm »
I bought the Demo Oppo modright modded cd player from RMAF. This player sounds fantastic as a redbook player after 500 hours of play. It sounds good in the beginning, but after the 400 mark watch out. It is very important how you isolate the modright from outside vibrations to get the best sound. I have tried a lot of different footers and came up with using German Acoustics cones (brass with chrome inserts) sitting into the German Acoustics rubber feet. You place one directly under the front transport drawer area and two in the back. This really smooths out the player, opens up the soundstage and gives way better focus. I have not tried computer downloaded music yet, but I bet you would have liked the sound as a cd player better with these tweaks. I am using Coincident power cords with the unit and Dan's new umbilical. I also have three German Acoustic spikes under the power supply and both rest on thick maple wood shelves. I am using new old stock tubes in the main unit and the power supply.

NutBuster

« Reply #131 on: 21 Dec 2011, 09:56 pm »
Any update on "possible" digital input(s)?

randomalpha

« Reply #132 on: 10 Jan 2012, 09:22 pm »
I had Modwright perform the 2 channel solid state mod ( to include installing the Bybee rails on the DAC power supply) back in October.The unit now has several hundred hours of burn in and approximately 60 hours of listening time (It would have been more but we had house guests during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New years.). Long enough to do a fair valuation. Because I live in Denver and recently attended the RMAF for three days, my frame of reference would be the stock Oppo 95, the Modwright tube modded Oppo 95 and the multitude of digital front ends that were at the show.
The difficulty in doing this review is that these mods were done to an already outstanding player ( I would recommend the recent review by Gary Gallo In AudioXpress). That being said, I thought that the improvements that Modwright made to the player were very worthwhile. The soundstage became wider and deeper, the delineation of instruments and voices was greatly improved and the bass tightened. All in all the Oppo became more musical and enjoyable. Its hard to see how you could do better for the money.

modwright

« Reply #133 on: 29 Jan 2012, 09:49 pm »
Digital Input Updates!:

I have the mod installed in a player and am putting the finishing touches on it right now!  It SOUNDS fantastic! I am still not satisfied that it is 100% ready however, but I am working this weekend, making further progress and will let EVERYONE know when we begin final production of this mod.

We already have a pretty good number of customers waiting and I am working hard to make sure that it is 100% right before I release them.

Thanks,

Dan

Freo-1

« Reply #134 on: 29 Jan 2012, 10:24 pm »
I have had my Oppo BD-95 with the tube mod and upgraded cable for a few weeks now.  I am totally floored that the overall improvement this update provides.  All digital media sounds significantly better (CD, SACD, DVD, and Blu Ray).  The overall presentation is as good as any digital source I've ever heard, and better than anything I've owned to date by a large margin.

All portions of the playback sound very natural.  The bass is deep and tight, midrange is transparent and liquid to the point of "you are there" realism.  The treble is as clear as can be, with no artifacts whatsoever. 

Replaced the stock tubes with JAN Sylvaina Brown Base tubes from the 50's, and a NOS Sylvania 5AR4 fat bottle.  The tubes further improved performance. 

All in all, could not be happier with this player.      :thumb:

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #135 on: 31 Jan 2012, 12:35 pm »
Dan, it's great to hear you're moving forward on this. 

Will you still be incorporating a toggle switch on the back?  That's a concern for me, as my BDP-95 rack placement makes it difficult to access the back panel.

Any chance you could mount the toggle on the left or right (rear) side?
Also, how many digital inputs did you end up squeezing in?

Digital Input Updates!:

I have the mod installed in a player and am putting the finishing touches on it right now!  It SOUNDS fantastic! I am still not satisfied that it is 100% ready however, but I am working this weekend, making further progress and will let EVERYONE know when we begin final production of this mod.

We already have a pretty good number of customers waiting and I am working hard to make sure that it is 100% right before I release them.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #136 on: 31 Jan 2012, 04:21 pm »
Yes, two toggles will be on rear panel of the player - only place for them!

One toggle selects between XLR and RCA digital input and the other toggle switches between internal and external DACs.

Thanks!

Dan

dminches

« Reply #137 on: 31 Jan 2012, 05:42 pm »
Am I correct in saying that the tubed mod on the BDP-95 affects both the unbalanced and balanced analog outputs?

JG2

« Reply #138 on: 31 Jan 2012, 09:48 pm »
Am I correct in saying that the tubed mod on the BDP-95 affects both the unbalanced and balanced analog outputs?

Yes, that is correct

NutBuster

« Reply #139 on: 7 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm »
Digital Input Updates!:

Thanks for the update.

TiVo is what I'm looking forward too hooking up.

Something possibly interesting too all:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X1-HDMI-1-3b-Certified-Switcher-Digital-Coaxial-Port-/120781951686#vi-content