Just installed an old cartridge

Zuman

Just installed an old cartridge
« on: 15 Jun 2021, 04:32 am »
I just picked up a Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood mm that has to be almost 20 years old. It's a dealer demo with low hours, and it sounds, well, wonderful.
I started off listening to some of Newvelle Records' New Orleans Collection because they're some of the newest, best-condition pressings I have, and then moved to the Sony Legacy Kind of Blue because I know it so well. Everyone knows what Miles' and Trane's horns sound like, but it's been a while since I paid such attention to Jimmy Cobb's drums, which sound just like I imagine they did during the session.
Everything sounds lovely, with just the right balance of warmth and clarity, drive and ease. It doesn't sound lazy, and it doesn't sound in-your-face.
I'm sure that I'll find a number of pieces that it doesn't work so well with, but for now, this cart represents the best $350 I've spent in quite some time.

orthobiz

Re: Just installed an old cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jun 2021, 09:00 pm »
Interesting. I have a small bunch of cartridges, many without known absolute dates of manufacture. I know that the cantilever has a suspension that can dry out/crack/etc over time. Wonder what the cartridge "statute of limitations" is for usability. Is there a rule of thumb timeline or is the proof is in the listening.

This, as I prepare to renew my 10 year old classic car tires...

Paul

SET Man

Re: Just installed an old cartridge
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2021, 01:03 am »
Interesting. I have a small bunch of cartridges, many without known absolute dates of manufacture. I know that the cantilever has a suspension that can dry out/crack/etc over time. Wonder what the cartridge "statute of limitations" is for usability. Is there a rule of thumb timeline or is the proof is in the listening.

This, as I prepare to renew my 10 year old classic car tires...

Paul

Hey!

I was wondering about that too. Most cartridges use rubber suspension/damper and rubber dry out and harden over time. I guess is all depend on each individual company's   rubber composition used.

For me I'll wear out the stylus long before the rubber dry out. Well, if it works and sounds great then just sit back on enjoy.

Buddy