Measurements-Performence

rattso

Measurements-Performence
« on: 2 May 2005, 03:32 pm »
I have a few questions regarding the AVA amps/pre-amps. In looking through the reviews on the AVA websight I noticed some references to square wave reproduction at frequency and the speed of the amps as far as volts per u/second.  Aside from the standard set of almost useless measurements these seem to really get to the heart of what makes a good music reproducer.  There have been only two other manufacturers that even mention the speed and or square wave performance of there amps. For what it is worth they are Atma-Sphere (they claim that their amps can track a dynamic wave form better than anyone else) and Wolcott.  Wolcott makes the point numerous times that the transient behavior of and amp is responsible for most of its distortion signature, we just have not come up with a real good way to do a standard of measurement but square wave response is pretty telling of performance.
   Frank, can you give any light on the above?  Do your patents permit  better transient  behavior, eg the use of tubes in circuits that require large volage swings instead of transistors?
   Can you give the current capabilty of the FET amps?
    Can you give the available capacitance per channel of the FET amps?
  Please dont misunderstand any of there quesations-no mal intent just curious.
Walt Roman

avahifi

Measurements-Performence
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2005, 10:37 am »
Please call me regarding your questions at 651-330-9871.

The answers require a more detailed response than I can provide by e-mail.

Frank Van Alstine

EMM801

Measurements-Performence
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 02:40 am »
I have a related question whose answer may be a little more bite-sized. It concerns the specs I see in the catalog relating to op amps, for example the 800V/usec figure mentioned in your literature. Now, I know what a volt is, and what a microsecond is, but I don't understand why a device that outputs a few volts is being discussed in terms of hundreds of volts. Is there a short answer to this question, or (more likely, I suspect) not?

avahifi

Measurements-Performence
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 05:17 pm »
We are talking about rate of change, not actual voltage swing itself.

Frank