Diffusors Arrived - Very Impressed!

aniwolfe

Diffusors Arrived - Very Impressed!
« on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:15 pm »
Having never tried room treatments before, I recently figured I would give it a go. I wanted to get something that was designed for open baffle dipoles, well made and affordable. I own the Triodemasters which are a perfect candidate or actually any Spatial Speaker would benefit. I got a recommendation to seek out the Mr T diffusor panels from someone on the GR Research Forum here.

Below is a grab from the website at PI audio group LLC.

ABB1 Mr. 'T' Hemispherical Radiation:  47.5" X 23.5" X 6" - Perfect for open baffle use: Unpainted / Box of 2 pairs (M & F) $180.00 Painted / Box of 2 pairs (M & F) - $220.00

Standard colors are Behr Black and Behr Swiss Coffee.  Other colors are available for a small upcharge.

Note: If you want to paint these yourself...I got confirmation you can use a water based paint from your local hardware store. Pink anyone?

The contact is Greg > g.rael@comcast.net

Website URL https://piaudiogroup.com/

So I ordered the unpainted version (4 panels or 2 pairs) and it was shipped very quickly. These panels don't weigh a lot. They are made out of very dense thick foam, very similar to Styro Foam, but much more durable. Greg advised me to place one panel behind each speaker, and align the middle of the panel with the tweeter. He also recommended to cover the tv as much as possible. So because they are light weight, I bought a pair of clear plastic containers to hold up the one panel in front of the tv when going into serious listening mode since my stereo is in my family room.

What I hear with the Diffusor installed: For me in my room it made a very noticeable improvement in clarity. Basically they do not change the balance of your system. What they do is tighten up what you have already. A much more focused soundstage and inner detail retrieval that was not there previously. Since the highs and mids improved they also help out the bass from what I noticed. Bass lines are cleaner and more defined. Highly recommended..not too expensive and I think they look pretty cool.

Here are some pics.

« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2020, 03:53 am by aniwolfe »

Big Red Machine

Re: Diffusors Arrived - Very Impressed!
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:24 pm »
How durable would you rate this foam? If it were damaged, would it split apart into little white balls or would it crack and be repairable?

I am a big proponent of diffusion.

aniwolfe

« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:27 pm »
They are very durable to me. They dont shed snow flakes when handled etc. Can they be cracked? I would imagine so. So don't throw them around the room or try to bend them! :)

You cannot use glues or oil base paints. So just be careful..I am impressed with the durability overall.

I believe I have seen these diffusors in some pics with GR Research Danny Ritchie. (would need to confirm) Also some of his customers use them from what I can tell since I got the recommendation from one of them.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:36 pm »
Do those prices include shipping, if not how much was that?

aniwolfe

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:37 pm »
$180 for 4 unpainted panels plus $40 for shipping Total $220

Also I want to add that I use the 4th panel in front of the tv stand.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:43 pm »
Good price. I just paid a little over $250 with shipping for GIK gridfusors and you only get what's equivalent to two panels compared to the Mr T's

aniwolfe

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2020, 04:45 pm »
Its a great value for sure. The improvement in sound was very noticeable. Very happy

Just read some info..these diffusors have been around since 2011. Here is a thread from the designer.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100858.0

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2020, 05:37 pm »
Its a great value for sure. The improvement in sound was very noticeable. Very happy

Just read some info..these diffusors have been around since 2011. Here is a thread from the designer.

I've started experimenting with a combination of both absorbing and diffusion panels on the front wall of my small listening room. Adding diffusion in this mix has produced excellent results. This with box type speakers FWIW.  I'm "guessing" diffusion only with panel and open baffle type speakers would be the way to go however. YMMV, but at least here, the resultant effect is very close to a component upgrade at a fraction of the cost.

bbybaudio

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2020, 07:42 pm »
Thanks for the info on the diffusers. I hope to get 4 panels as well, two for TV and one each for behind X5s.

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2020, 07:53 pm »
Behr Swiss Coffee is off-white. More cream than coffee.  :wink:

https://www.behr.com/consumer/ColorDetailView/12

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2020, 07:56 pm »
Are they really 6" thick?

mikeeastman

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2020, 08:10 pm »
Yes they are 6” thick.

Here how I used the panels to fill a spot that it wasn’t practical to use the same Jeff Headback  designed panels I used in the rest of my room. I needed something light and moveable. They fixed the off balance I had in my soundstage and can be taken down easily.

mikeeastman

« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2020, 08:12 pm »
Don't know why pics are sideways, never had problem before posting pics?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2020, 08:31 pm »
Upright, like a piano. :D :D

flavo

« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2020, 10:14 pm »
Are they really 6" thick?
They are definitely not 6" thick unless he changed his production method. They fluctuate in thickness, but at their thickest point they are 4.875" thick.

I'd say they hold up quite well as well.  I have 2 locked in position, but the other 2 get moved around quite frequently and knocked over by the dogs all too often.
If they do get knicked, they don't fall apart and stand up decently to abuse.

Here's a photo of mine.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=163796.0

Whitestix

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2020, 11:21 pm »
My sense is that these panels function primarily as sonic absorption, not diffusion.  These are what I think of as diffusion panels: https://www.gikacoustics.com/product-category/diffusion-products/  By design, diffusion requires a hard and irregular surface.

I have M4 Triode Masters with a wall of sound absorption panels behind the speakers and they work fantastic.  Diffusers such as those made by GIK might even work better, but Clayton took a look at my treatments and gave me the thumbs up.  I expect that these affordably-priced panels would be very effective.   

tdangelo

« Reply #17 on: 21 Mar 2020, 08:11 pm »
I have mine set up like this in my dining room system. They definitely made a nice improvement.

morganc

« Reply #18 on: 21 Mar 2020, 11:01 pm »

I have never met with a higher quality individual in the audio industry than Dave at PI Audio Group.  He is all class, and his products are extreme values. 

morganc

« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2020, 11:05 pm »
I have mine set up like this in my dining room system. They definitely made a nice improvement.

Beautiful, what speakers are those?