Fun Low Wattage System

leica m3

Fun Low Wattage System
« on: 24 Feb 2016, 03:26 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Little Bear P5-1 preamp, replaced the tubes, connected it to a TPA3110 amp and was just totally amazed by the sound. This combo was connected to a pair of EPI 100 speakers which I refoamed, recapped, rewired and resealed. A Marantz CD5004 was the source. My low wattage system is usually centered around a Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amplifier.

Freo-1

Re: Fun Low Wattage System
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2016, 09:22 pm »
It's always fun to discover new combos that make enjoyable music, especially if one can do it on a low budget. 

How does the sound differ from your bottlehead?

darkpix

Re: Fun Low Wattage System
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2017, 07:02 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Little Bear P5-1 preamp, replaced the tubes, connected it to a TPA3110 amp and was just totally amazed by the sound. This combo was connected to a pair of EPI 100 speakers which I refoamed, recapped, rewired and resealed. A Marantz CD5004 was the source. My low wattage system is usually centered around a Bottlehead SEX 2.1 amplifier.
  nice, I had ordered one of these but it's yet to arrive. I read that a stronger power adapter brings the fuses to life even more.
Hows the preamp working out for you?
have you tried increasing the voltage?

this was from an amazoner - "The first thing you need to do is find a proper power supply for it... After testing with nearly a dozen good quality wall worts I have stocked for various audio engineering tools, I settled on a big fat heavy transformer wall wort with 16v / 1A output. Without it the tubes were barely glowing and definitely under-powered, the sound quality was kind of distorted from lukewarm tubes. With the higher powered and good quality transformer, the tubes are now glowing properly and nice and hot like they should be. The improvement in clarity and detail is very obvious. That being said, if your tubes are glowing brightly and you smell dust cooking... dial back, you're only looking for a little boost, nothing crazy. I"