Replacement drivers 4 Ohm "Car" speakers?

MariusB

Replacement drivers 4 Ohm "Car" speakers?
« on: 23 Apr 2020, 10:29 pm »
Hi All,

My OCD is driving me up the wall with this, I have a set of Sony Muteki speakers connected to my Yamaha RX-V675, the problem is that the Amp can only run 6 and 8 ohm speakers and the Sony speakers are 4 ohm, unless someone in the know can tell me that the 4 ohm speaker will not harm the Yamaha in the long run, I am going to worry about this until I "fix" it. The speakers consists of 2 drivers and a tweeter per unit, the drivers are 8 ohm each connected parallel to make 4 ohm.

1st option is to connect the same drivers in series and run a 16 ohm load on the amp, which should be better for the amp than running a 4 ohm load, right, I don't know?

2nd option is to replace the drivers with 4 ohm units and run them in series to make 8 ohm, the problem with this is, finding drivers for home use in 4 ohm is like looking for a needle in a haystack, SO, I was thinking, what about a good set of Car component speaker, they have 2 6.5" 4 ohm drivers and 2 tweeter with a separate crossover, I'l use only the 6.5" drivers, the problem is finding specs for these car speakers is almost impossible.

Anyone one here ever done something like this with good results?

My Speakers looks like these

I was thinking of using these Rockford Fosgate R165-S Prime drivers, they have 92db sensitivity and a good frequency spread 60 - 20khz, I don't have the frequency response graph unfortunately.

Cheers in advance

M66chevelle

Re: Replacement drivers 4 Ohm "Car" speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2020, 01:39 am »
Hello, I put these together with mb quart 4 ohm driver and 4 ohm tweeter. Run them with Yamaha about amp sound great works good.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2020, 01:51 am »
This 4 ohms speaker will damage the amp, unfortunately 16 ohms also not a safe idea.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2020, 11:17 am »
Sony Muteki speakers are dance party dj speakers, I doubt any of the specs are meaningful.  The chip amps in the Yamaha generally don't like low impedance loads, but if presented with a load that might damage the unit the protection circuitry will kick in and shut the amp section down.  The protection circuits usually measure temperature so you just have to wait for the amp to cool down and it will reset.  If this is happening repeatedly you can damage the amp, but since you didn't mention shutdowns I wouldn't worry about it.