Any news on tweeters?

mcgsxr

Any news on tweeters?
« on: 25 Apr 2005, 04:26 pm »
I think I read in a thread a while ago, that Louis was considering offering some tweeters for some of his speakers, that people could add, if they wanted.

Not sure if any progress has been made in this regard, or if the hemp drivers have derailed progress on anything else!

Just pesterin!  :lol:

Louis O

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2005, 11:51 pm »
Hi Mark,

I did get them made and they are really good. They are top mount textile domes and come in a great pivoting chassis. They do come with pigtails and caps installed so it's plug and play. I have to figure out the costs.

The great thing about them is the flexibility as the have a full pivot and can be mounted anywhere on top of the cabinet.

Thanks again,
Louis

Tralfaz

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2005, 02:24 pm »
Hello, everyone!

I've been a long-time reader of the forum and finally decided to actively participate in the discourse.

Louis made me a pair of tweeers a few weeks ago for my Super 3Rs.  As he notes, they are 1" fabric  domes in a very small, cylindrical enclosure that has a small (about 1" long by 1/2" wide) mounting bracket that is hinged to allow the driver to be tilted back when mounted to the top of a cabinet.  They may be screwed into the cabinet (OUCH!) or attached by an adhesive (I'm using Blu-Tac with good results).

The tweeters attach to the binding posts via spade lugs that terminate the pigtail leads.  There is a capacitor in one lead to roll off the low frequencies; Louis said the tweeter rolls off below 12kHz.

So how do they sound?  They definitely add "air" to the sound of the speakers, giving a greater sense of space to things and add to the 3R's already spooky-good imaging by bringing images into slightly better focus.  They don't call attention to themselves, they just make things sound better (as a good subwoofer will).

Vinyl (with its more extended high frequencies) definitely benefits the most, though even good FM sounds better.

I've e-mailed Louis some pictures of the tweeters on my speakers; If I can figure out how to post photos here I'll add a couple so everyone can see what they look like.

I'm currently driving my 3Rs with a Fi X 2A3 driven by an EAR 834L linestage, EAR 834P phono stage, SACD player, and tuner.  My room is about 12" x 17" with 8" ceilings.  The amp, speakers, and tweeters (combined) cost less than my old speakers and I enjoy things much more.  I can't say enough go0d things about Louis and the things he makes.

Thanks for reading this!

-Richard-

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2005, 06:37 pm »
Hi Tralfaz ,

You may have seen my post in this circle
for information about 2A3 amps...

You could not have joined our August Circles
at a better time...at least from my perspective...

I spoke to Don Garber by phone...a very interesting
and circumspect gentleman who actually ran a store
in SoHo New York City where he sold his amps and
was a meeting place and hang out for most of the best
known SET amp designers in America...it was his
galvanizing presence and innovative approach to SET
amp design that gave the impetus for the American
resurgence of the SET phenomena...

I am deeply interested in his 2A3...it is my understanding
that the standard model hums a bit...and that is a by product
of the lesser cost transformer the "stock" or standard unit
uses...do you have the ultra monoblocks or the basic
model...and what is your experience with them...

Naturally I am hungry for any insights you could give
me concerning this legendary SET amp...

If you prefer...you could answer my inquiry on my thread...
"looking for a 2A3..." or here...whichever seems more
appropriate to you...thanks so much for your help...

Warm regards -Richard-

Brad

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2005, 04:45 pm »
Richard,

(taking this post even further off track)
I had a Fi X 2a3 for a while - ran it with a pair of Ed's Horns.
Mine had the upgraded transformers.  NO hum issues at all.
The X is an ingenious layout, too.

Beautiful midrange tone.   I had to sell that setup during my divorce and when I rebuilt my system, I went in a different direction.  I wanted to try Louis' Super 3's.

I still think tubes are the way to go, although my main system uses digital amps right now.   I end up enjoying my 2nd system - which uses a vintage Scott 222c integrated - more than the main system.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Fi, the Welbourne, or the Sophia.
Then if you keep a Clari-T on hand, you can enjoy a different sound whenever you want.

The Welbourne Ultrapath BP also is pretty intriguing.  With it and a battery powered Teres, you could have a complete battery powered system.  The tubes in the Welbourne preamp might flesh out the sound of Vinnie's amp a little.  Add some hemp courtesy of Louis....... 8)

Songforyou

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2005, 09:07 pm »
Brad,

Glad to hear you have a Scott 222c.  What speakers are you using it with in your second system?  I have one too (modded by Mapleshade) and absolutely love the thing.  Have you used it with the Super 3s?

-Richard-

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2005, 10:41 pm »
Hi Brad,

Ahhhh...the original Scott receiver...now there is something
worth owning...beautiful thing...never surpassed at least in
visual terms...I have never had the good fortune to hear it...

However I am rather intrigued by vintage audio designs...

And there are many who swear that what they hear with the Scott
has never been bettered...in spite of the hype and more "up-to-date"
packaging...

Does your Scott 222c have a tuner...What year were they originally
made...Where is the best place to purchase them...Have you moded
yours and have you had to replace the original tubes?...
how is that for being peppered with questions...sorry to be
so over zealous...it is just that you are the first person I have met on these
august threads to actually own a vintage amp who has had intimate
experience with "modern" legends like the Fi...and yet you still obviously
like/love your Scott!!!!

Thanks for the information about the "...Fi, the Welbourne, or the Sophia..."
OK...next set of questions...have you had a chance to hear the Welbourne
and the Sophia...if yes, what is the differences that you can remember...
and which of these 3 amps do you recommend?

Hi Songforyou...poetic AC name that...nice...
Where did you get your Scott...what led you to purchase this classic...
and is Mapleshade known for their mods of this unit?...questions, question...

Thanks to you both for your exciting new information in this egg hunt for the right
magic amplifier...

Warm regards -Richard-

Brad

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2005, 11:26 pm »
The Scott is just an integrated - no tuner.
The 222c was built from '61 to '63.

It uses 7189 or EL84 output tubes in push-pull config for appx 20wpc
It is tube rectified.
Currently, I'm using the 7189's that came with it.
It also has a full load of vintage 12ax7 telefunkens.  Hope those last a LONG TIME.

I like the sound of the Scott better than a Fisher 800c that I had before.

I have used the Super 3's on the Scott and it was a good combination.
I'm currently using a pair of Acoustic Energy Evo 1's with Mapleshade cables with it (and a modded Sansui T-60 tuner, Denon turntable, and the RCA outputs from my computer through a Hercules GameTheater soundcard).
The Ae's are a much better fit size-wise in the bedroom.

On to the other questions:

The Welbourne and Sophia I only heard briefly - the Sophia was with Omega speakers - don't remember the details on the Welbourne.  Both had the SET magic - just like the Fi did.   If I was buying one of the three, I would probably get another Fi from Don.  If the new Omega hemp drivers get to 97db or so sensitivity, I would have Don make a 45 version of the X.

The choice of the Scott had as much to do with finances as anything.  I wanted to get back into tubes, but was constrained by $$ - I got it for less than $300 from eBay.   I've seen one of the Mapleshade-modded Scotts on audiogon for a pretty good price.  Would love to hear how the modded version compares to my original.

A friend of mine just bought a Scott 299B - he is going to use it with a set of the new stand-mounted Omegas with 8" hemp driver that Louis should be shipping soon.

Another huge benefit of dealing in used gear - you can buy/try and find what works for YOU, in your house.  As long as you pay attention to what you pay and who you deal with, you can pretty much break even on buying/selling.

Brad

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2005, 11:38 pm »
Here's a link with some good info on the Scott gear

http://www.hhscott.com

You'll see the 222c and 299b on the Editor's choice page.

Good luck with the search, Richard
I find as my musical tastes change, my equipment tastes change....

Songforyou

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2005, 03:19 am »
Mapleshade are known for their Scott and Heathkit mods.  They swear by the little EL84 tube.  They do Scott tuners and receivers as well.  Mine has the Telefunken phono also and I've been listening to more vinyl than ever before.

Mapleshade do a number of things to the vintage Scott.  They bypass all the front panel switches and tone controls for starters.  The only controls that function are the on/off, volume, input selctor and tape monitor switch.  They also remove the chassis and mount the amp on 2 maple rails.  If you contact Mapleshade they will give you more technical info (I listen to music, but don't know anything about electronics).

The amp is extremely well-balanced and sounds wonderful to me.  Very good bass for a tube amp and the mids are lovely.  I find it much more enjoyable than the well-reviewed Simaudio I-5 I had.  There may be amps that do certain things better, but I'm in no hurry to look for them.

Tralfaz

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2005, 12:02 am »
Here's an attempt at posting pictures of Louis's tweeters on my Super 3Rs:

Enjoy!

GHM

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2005, 12:15 am »
Coooool!!! Louis told me about this . It took me several tries to load pics as well. Looks like you have it down to a science. :lol:

maxwalrath

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2005, 01:35 am »
Tralfaz, what's the price? Did you find any negatives to adding them to your system? I'm appreciating the 3R's in Philly also...hope you can catch the fireworks tonight!

GHM

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2005, 02:24 am »
Here's the info maxwalrath.
Buy two LPG 25 NFA textile dome tweeters $37.00 a peice. Also pick up two LPGTHW Hinged Wedge mounts for $7.00. You can mount them anywhere on the speaker's cabinets and swivel to your needs. You also need one 1.5 Microfarad capacitor (per tweeter) to put inline on the positive lead side of the tweeters.Between the speaker wire and the positive terminal. Go to the link.

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?keywords=lpg

SET Man

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2005, 03:44 am »
Hi guys,
   As a Fostex user... 167E in my own DIY TQWT cabs. I want to add to this post... don't forget Fostex own horn tweeters! :D

I'm currently using the FT17H horn tweeter xover with Solen 0.68uf cap and with L-pad to match the output  with the 167E, the FT17H is a bit more efficient than my 167E.

Overall the sound is exellent, blend together well. :D I'm very happy with the sound.  I never heard the LPG but I think the FT17H would be a be an alternative to the LPG tweeter for around the same price. And I think the FT17H extend higher than the LPG.

And if you got the money you might want to check out the T90A. Cain & Cain use these with thier speaker. I'm sure is more refine then my FT17H.  But I xover my FT17H pretty high up so I guess they fit my need. If you xover it (between 1.5uf to 0.68uf depend on you driver)  and match the output correctly, you will be amazed with the improvment from top to bottom! :mrgreen:
Hmmm... I have to update my gallery and get pictuer with FT17H in it.

Link to FT17H
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8730481.22299&pid=342

Anway, good luck guys.
Buddy :thumb:

Tralfaz

Any news on tweeters?
« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2005, 12:43 am »
Thanks, GHM for posting the info on the parts and their costs.  You can see the bracket on the first photo: the bracket is attached to the top of the cabinet with Blu-Tac. (There's no way I'm drilling into the cabinets!) The bottom photo shows the pigtail leads with the capacitor.

maxwalrath, my earlier post pretty well summarizes the benefits I hear with the tweeters.  Since I wrote that, I've become even more pleased with the sound of the tweeters in my system.  The beauty of this setup is that you can always just unplug the tweeters and have made no permanent alteration to the speakers.

Thanks for the interest in this neat mod!

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
Which capacitor
« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2005, 07:37 pm »
I'm going to try out the external tweeter. I'm using the Super 3R's with the Alcino drivers and was wondering what capacitor to use with the LPG tweeter.

if it sounds good I may go for some nice Fostex tweeters.