TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: TBI Millenia MG3 Mk II amp tour-Round Two
« Reply #200 on: 12 Jan 2014, 05:54 am »
What are the qualifications for a 'reference tool'.

I edited my review. "My reference tool" = NCore 400  :D.
Moreover, I think if I can find somebody to measure the TBI especially with regards to that high frequency hash, that would be useful. The fact that it isn't quiet has me somewhat concerned about the design. It is certainly not a finalized design from what I have heard and I'm sure many iterations are yet to come like all amplifier designs.

Best,
Anand.

wushuliu

« Reply #201 on: 12 Jan 2014, 06:22 am »
I edited my review. "My reference tool" = NCore 400  :D.
Moreover, I think if I can find somebody to measure the TBI especially with regards to that high frequency hash, that would be useful. The fact that it isn't quiet has me somewhat concerned about the design. It is certainly not a finalized design from what I have heard and I'm sure many iterations are yet to come like all amplifier designs.

Best,
Anand.

The 'hash' could be a combination of the 36db gain IIRC and your speaker sensitivity though ultimately I'm sure it's nowhere as quiet as an Ncore. But hey not bad for a $5 chip? Thanks for the review.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #202 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:03 pm »
The 'hash' could be a combination of the 36db gain IIRC and your speaker sensitivity though ultimately I'm sure it's nowhere as quiet as an Ncore. But hey not bad for a $5 chip? Thanks for the review.

One important detail I forgot to mention. I took a sine wave oscillator to the input and turned down the volume knob to match the gain ( 26 dB ) of the NCore. I made sure of this as one can be biased to favor the 'louder' amplifier in a comparison. I also made sure that the volume level on my Lazarus preamp was roughly at the same level for all my music comparisons between the two amps. Then I listened. The unit actually sounded a bit cleaner at higher gain levels where Freo-1 had left it. So for the remainder of the listening sessions I left it there! The high frequency chatter was present irrespective of what the gain was!

The comparison to the other amps I mentioned were from aural memory which should be taken with a grain of salt. Whether it is a $500 chip or a $5 chip is immaterial, as the execution is what counts. The SDS IIRC was much quieter but didn't have that magical SET midrange people are talking about. The TBI is not bad I do agree.

Best,
Anand.

OzarkTom

« Reply #203 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:53 pm »
Thanks Anand for joining the tour.

Dunno, guess I need to try another pair of NC-400's. :scratch:
At Rex's place and my place the TBI was more transparent, had a bigger sound stage, and was more holographic. Not by a huge amount, but it was there. Even more than the NC1200's I had here. Rex is a huge DIY'er, so he would have bought some NC400's instantly, but did not. I did like the fact that the Ncores are dead quiet.

JohnLL is next and then rhis tour ends at Playntheblues in Texas. Thanks to everyone on the tour and having patience with me during my busy time.

Freo-1

« Reply #204 on: 12 Jan 2014, 02:35 pm »
I think the deltas noted with the amps are speaker dependent related.  Of course, power output also plays into this. 

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #205 on: 12 Jan 2014, 03:07 pm »
I think the deltas noted with the amps are speaker dependent related.  Of course, power output also plays into this.

Yes, my speakers are 8 ohm and higher north of 100 Hz. The phase angles are very benign above 100 Hz. But it also uses a 12 inch woofer which can be a bit much I guess (!!) even though the driver is definitely 95-96dB at 1m with 1 watt input. From an SPL standpoint, I was hitting 80-85 dB at the listening position without strain when using the TBI MG3 with battery supply.

Thanks Anand for joining the tour.

Dunno, guess I need to try another pair of NC-400's. :scratch:
At Rex's place and my place the TBI was more transparent, had a bigger sound stage, and was more holographic. Not by a huge amount, but it was there. Even more than the NC1200's I had here. Rex is a huge DIY'er, so he would have bought some NC400's instantly, but did not. I did like the fact that the Ncores are dead quiet.

JohnLL is next and then rhis tour ends at Playntheblues in Texas. Thanks to everyone on the tour and having patience with me during my busy time.

That's why we do tours  :thumb:

Thanks,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014, 09:27 pm by poseidonsvoice »

Sarchi

« Reply #206 on: 12 Jan 2014, 08:57 pm »
I haven't read all the threads, but has anyone tried this amp with Quad ESL-63's? (can it even handle the protection circuit/reactive load or whatever it's called?)

OzarkTom

« Reply #207 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:50 pm »
I haven't read all the threads, but has anyone tried this amp with Quad ESL-63's? (can it even handle the protection circuit/reactive load or whatever it's called?)

Yes, one of the mag reviewers, I believe TNT Audio, has tried it and loves it.

Here is the review. It is for the Quad 988's.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/quad_988_e.html

JohnLL

« Reply #208 on: 12 Jan 2014, 10:59 pm »
This thread has it's second wind. My address was sent to Tom.  If any feel I was aggressive I extend a sincere apology. John

JohnLL

« Reply #209 on: 20 Jan 2014, 11:49 pm »
My experience with the TBI starting with some unexpected (to me) technical observations. First I find the unit produces no noise. That is with no attenuation anywhere and my ear near the driver. My Ampino amp is the same. BTW the rest of the system is a Meridian battery powered dac, autoformer VCs,  and desktop SD speakers less than 30” from my ears. This is a pc based system and a detuned AM radio confirms there is plenty of RFI in the room. Others have had different experiences, so go figure?

The second surprise is the “high” gain others have mentioned. I thought the gain of the Alpino was 26. I find the TBI is not much different. Are you familiar with Pano’s how much power do you need thread on DIY?  Google Pano’s voltage test and read page 1 and 11. I am not concerned about max power here but just using his technique relating voltage to watts. Where I normally listen the voltage from Ampino is .41v and with Pano’s 120 Hz test tone that is 79db. If I change nothing ,but substitute the TBI, the voltage is .47v and the db is 81. This only proves I have some hearing left and maybe I am wrong re the Alpino gain. I do want to point out that .41v squared is .17 watts and the Ampino is an AB amp. This is what Pano’s math says,  I am not a technical person,  and if any feel Pano missed the mark please say so.

I am very impressed by TBI’s transparency. I am particularly impressed by its ability to separate musical lines in a complex recording. I do find it to sound slightly bleached and slightly lacking the elements that convey musical life (micro dynamics?).  I think I would try a quality linear PS or a more powerful and lower IR battery before I threw a tube at it. Actually I may orefer the TBI smps to the 12v battery, and the TBI on some recordings and but the Ampino on most.

Tom, thanks for the audition and please pm the next address. John

OzarkTom

« Reply #210 on: 5 Apr 2014, 04:09 pm »
I know I mentioned the Ten Tec power supplies earlier here to make the TBI Millenia sound even better, but Ten Tec no longer sells these. It turns out that the company Astron made these power supplies for Ten Tec and you can find Astron power supplies everywhere. The one equivalent to the Ten Tec 937 is the Astron SL-11A. These go for anywhere from $25-50 used on Ebay, new for about $100.

For TBI owners, this is a big improvement over the batteries even. It is too bad I didn't find this earlier, I could have shipped it on the amp tour instead of the battery and charger.

Hey Mr. Pig, you need to try one of these power supplies on your TBI.

rodge827

« Reply #211 on: 5 Apr 2014, 08:42 pm »

Hey Mr. Pig, you need to try one of these power supplies on your TBI.

Yes you do!  :D

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #212 on: 3 May 2014, 03:05 pm »
Yes you do!  :D

Sorry I have not. My Millenia have been returned to Jan. So I am out of the loop on them these days.

Regards
Mister Pig