Squeezebox question

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Squeezebox question
« on: 22 Feb 2008, 04:09 pm »
Last week I downloaded a free song from Linn Recordings.  I downloaded a flac, studio version of a song.  The song played perfectly fine at work using foobar.  I transferred the song over from my external hard drive onto my PC.  I created a Linn Recordings folder and placed the song in the folder.

First question, after I rescan why does the Linn Recordings folder not show up?

Second question, Squeezebox created a special folder called Dunedin Consort for the song.  I did not know it could do that.  What is happening here?

Last question, when I play the song it sounds like the song is played really slow with a bunch of scary monsters singing in a choir.  What is going on? 

Anyone have a clue?

chadh

Re: Squeezebox question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2008, 04:19 pm »

I would guess your folder problems are actually an issue of how you search.  Which method do you use to browse for music?  Do you "browse by music folder", or by artist or album or something?  It should show up if you search by music folder.  The fact that it shows up under "Denedin Consort" probably means that there is a tag of some kind attached to the file that identifies the artist or the album that way.  So slimserver hasn't created a new folder, but has just categorized it according to that tag.

As for the scary monsters...maybe your home system is very resolving and there really are scary monsters singing in a choir that you've never heard before.  Okay, so that's probably not true.  I have no idea about this one.

Chad

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2008, 04:28 pm »
That's a good question.  I typically search by artist but I tried a different approach when I could not find the Linn Recordings folder.  I ended up seeing the Dunedin Consort folder when I tried searching under Music Folder.

I was starting to love these speakers but none when scary monsters come out of them.  Maybe I'll donate them to the elementary school.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2008, 07:29 pm »
What sample rate is the downloaded file?

The SB can only play files up to 48 kHz. If you downloaded a file that is 88 or 96 kHz the SB cannot resolve all the information. The Slimserver software will allow part of the information to be played by decimating the file information.

That might be why the song is slow and there are scary monsters.

If you are interested in the Linn music, only use the 44.1 files for use with the SB.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2008, 10:30 pm »
Thank you Wayne.  You were right. 

Robert57

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2008, 12:40 am »

If you are interested in the Linn music, only use the 44.1 files for use with the SB.

So the sampling rate for downloads played on a SB should be 44.1 or 48 KHz max. What about the max. word length of the downloads--16 bit or 24 bit? I vaguely recall seeing the SB2/3 internal DAC upsamples to 24 bit, but I'm on really shaky ground here. Does it make any sense to hope that 24 bit/ 44.1 Khz downloads, if they are even available and could be played on the SB2/3,  might sound noticeably better than the standard 16/44 files of Redbook rips? Do we SB2/3 analog-out owners have any hope for better sound quality (higher-rez) in the music software beyond CD redbook 16 bit /44.1 KHz?

Rob

Robert57

« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2008, 03:20 pm »
The following thread on the Slim Devices Forum discusses how high-res. Linn Music Studio Master downloads can be used with the SB3 and Transporter. Apparently there are Linn HQ downloads available in the 24 bit/ 48 KHz quality, the highest supported by the SB2/3 internal DAC. I would imagine the jump from 16 bit to 24 bit would make a significant improvement in dynamic range, but I haven't experimented yet. I would love to see a simple down-sampling program (ideally for Mac) that can convert 88 or 96 Khz. to 44 or 48, to allow the SB's to play virtually any high-res 24 bit files (SACD quality).

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32951