The greatest new rock band of the 2000's

2bigears

Re: The greatest new rock band of the 2000's
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:19 am »
 :D  blows goats....ha ...did you say that out loud.some of us agree,some don't.even with an open mind,it's hard to find a band with real raw talent like the old boys and i really wonder why.i think the answer is multi multi dimensional in reason.but it seems in the 60's and 70's these bands rocking the world were in no short supply.what the hell was it....?? :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #61 on: 20 Jun 2011, 01:18 am »
..........what the hell was it....?? :D
Different times, different states of mind, everything's different. There's a generation for everything and everything in it's generation, with few exceptions.

Make sense? 
Bob

p.s. And yes....I did say that out loud.  :wink:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #62 on: 20 Jun 2011, 01:37 am »
I pose this question.  If there is current music on a par with what we had in the 60s and 70s, why do such a good percentage of the college kids I work around listen to classic rock?  That's like when we geezers (yeah, I'm 60, so what?) were young, we all listened to 30s and 40s big band music.

BTW, I have no problem being a "geezer"!  I earned the right to be a geezer by not getting shot by a jealous husband.

Yet.

:icon_twisted:

wgscott

« Reply #63 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:17 am »
what the hell was it....?? :D

Relative affluence and prosperity, drugs, and rebellion.

2bigears

« Reply #64 on: 20 Jun 2011, 03:55 am »
 :D  wgscott,don't we have that stuff now ????  :D  what is with our talent pool now?? was it bigger,more educated,more dedicated,the drugs were weaker,maybe thats it.ha.....it's a question to ponder and ponder i quess. no right or wrong answer here....i just know the music was BETTER BETTER BETTER......... :D

Rclark

« Reply #65 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:23 am »
Oh there was PLENTY of utter horrid crap from the 60's and 70's too, PLENTY. It wasn't all good.

Just like there's crap now. And as far as kids listening to classic rock, of course! But I promise you that's not ALL they listen to. The thing about you not relating to the music of today is kind of the while point. Rock in the 70's was part rebellion against your parents. In the same way, the music of today isn't really meant for you old farts :) but you're cool if you listen to it all the same.

and Bob in st. Louis, if you're still stuck playing Metallica and ac/dc over and over again I feel sorry for you. I own all of both bands too but haven't listened to them in years. There's way too much other music out there and even new bands that are quite honestly a lot better than both.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #66 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:53 am »
and Bob in st. Louis, if you're still stuck playing Metallica and ac/dc over and over again I feel sorry for you. I own all of both bands too but haven't listened to them in years. There's way too much other music out there and even new bands that are quite honestly a lot better than both.

"Stuck"?  :nono:
No dude....notta fckin' chance.
It's an occasional 'jam thing'.

The last couple days, I've been "stuck" on playing Ray Brown.
I've got 300+ of his tunes with various other artists. THAT'S the kind of music I get "stuck" on.
And trust me, it's a good kinda "stuck". Much better than AC/DC, Metallica, Tool...bla...bla...bla....

bob

rockadanny

« Reply #67 on: 22 Jun 2011, 02:01 am »
By far, IMO, The Black Keys.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Second, though far less recorded, would be Back Door Slam/Davy Knowles.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #68 on: 22 Jun 2011, 02:03 am »
 :D  who the heck are there Black Keys.....?? must look them up ??  :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #69 on: 22 Jun 2011, 02:17 am »
The Black Keys are pretty cool.
Worth looking for.

Demarche

« Reply #70 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:58 am »
The Hold Steady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbZ1SEy_wxk

The Drive By Truckers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvJ-lWOZMYg

Spoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPdP1jBfxzo

Foster the People http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ

Red Fang http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo8NFrmQ_S0

Here's a few more, granted a couple got their start in the late 90s...

rockadanny

« Reply #71 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:07 am »
2bigears - Yes, definitely check out the Black Keys. Raw, stripped down, bluesy, rock from a very talented duo. I understand they've recently earned the Bad-Ass Housekeeping seal of approval  :lol:

ctviggen

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm »
2bigears - Yes, definitely check out the Black Keys. Raw, stripped down, bluesy, rock from a very talented duo. I understand they've recently earned the Bad-Ass Housekeeping seal of approval  :lol:

I bought a Black Keys CD and I'm really not impressed.  It's just not my style of music.  I much prefer The Decemberists, for instance, but they're probably not "rock".  I also like Big Head Todd and Monsters, but they may not be everyone's cup of tea.  I like the Drive-By Truckers, but I personally wouldn't call them a "rock" band by any stretch.

ngomez745

« Reply #73 on: 22 Jun 2011, 01:44 pm »
I also bought a Black Keys "attack and release" Cd and I thought had a couple of good songs, but overall wasn't impressed either.
Still one of my favorites. Tame Impala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfcHq0hhFWg

rockadanny

« Reply #74 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:35 pm »
"Attack and Release" - arguably their worst outing. Any of their others I though were far better.

sts9fan

« Reply #75 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:41 pm »
I would also agree the A&R is the Black Keys worst album.  "Brothers" is ok but I like the older stuff like "Rubber Factory" WAY better.

nathanm

« Reply #76 on: 22 Jun 2011, 04:50 pm »
My vote is definitely for A Flock Of Seagulls.  I know they didn't come out in the 2000s and are not a rock band, but I don't think the subject header was specific enough.  If I had to be more strict then I'd go with this band called Pink Floyd.  Their first album "The Final Cut" came out in 1999, but that's close enough probably.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 22 Jun 2011, 05:32 pm »
I've got one of the Black Keys "Thickfunkness", or something to that effect. It's pretty decent.

Rclark

« Reply #78 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:10 pm »
If you like the Black Keys you will love my buddy's band HBIM.

They are getting their first big break: John Singleton is flying up next week to see them. Nothing's set in stone yet but they are probably going to do the whole soundtrack for his new movie.

They put on a hell of a show

Watch the video for the song "Old Habits"

http://hotbodiesinmotion.com/

drab

« Reply #79 on: 22 Jun 2011, 06:35 pm »
White Stripes.