Woo! Woo! Naked BDA-1 DAC Pics!!!!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Woo! Woo! Naked BDA-1 DAC Pics!!!!
« Reply #40 on: 21 Aug 2008, 07:59 pm »
Are the orders backed up already, and if so how long would I be waiting (17" black version)?  I've pretty well decided to go this route instead of BCD1.

About 10 days from order.

james

Okay just bought a black one from Audio Ark in Edmonton.  :D  If anyone wants any specific info/photos/impressions give me a few days and I'll let you know.

sure! let us know your impressions.

b5pt9

« Reply #41 on: 22 Aug 2008, 04:38 pm »
Here's a few internal photos - not a lot in there really.

First impressions are wow  8) for sound.  Detail, space between insturments and image is way better.  And the bass is incredible now, I wasn't expecting this.

Note that up till now I've been using the internal SP1.7 DAC for stereo, so this is a double-whammy combination of BDA-1 DAC and using the SP1.7 in 2ch bypass for the first time.

I've got some close-up photos of the cct board, just have to compress the photos and upload them to my gallery. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #42 on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:19 pm »

First impressions are wow  8) for sound.  Detail, space between insturments and image is way better.  And the bass is incredible now, I wasn't expecting this.

Note that up till now I've been using the internal SP1.7 DAC for stereo, so this is a double-whammy combination of BDA-1 DAC and using the SP1.7 in 2ch bypass for the first time.

I've got some close-up photos of the cct board, just have to compress the photos and upload them to my gallery. 

Hi,

Actually there is a 'lot in there'.  The larger packaging was decided on for a number of reasons the main one being.
1. We wanted the BDA-1 to match the cosmetics of the rest of our products - Cd Player, preamp etc. 2. The new surface mount design allows for much more compact circuit design . 3. The signal paths can be much shorter for more predictable performance. 4. The DAC can be very close to the CLOCK for better performance.

james

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #43 on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:36 pm »

Hi,

Actually there is a 'lot in there'.  The larger packaging was decided on for a number of reasons the main one being.
1. We wanted the BDA-1 to match the cosmetics of the rest of our products - Cd Player, preamp etc. 2. The new surface mount design allows for much more compact circuit design . 3. The signal paths can be much shorter for more predictable performance. 4. The DAC can be very close to the CLOCK for better performance.

james

This packaging strategy has been working for the candy bar industry for years why not Bryston. Sorry couldn't resist looking forward to hearing Mikes on Saturday.

ED

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:47 pm »
Hi ED,

Yes please let me know how the shoot-out goes!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 22 Aug 2008, 05:52 pm »

Hi b5pt9,

It is really interesting what you had to say about the space and image quality of the BDA-1.  I was at a dealers on Monday last and we did a shootout with a very well know DAC and all there agreed that the Bryston BCD-1 had incredible 'presents' (instruments and voices are in the room!) and the image or placement of the instruments/singers etc was exceptional.

james

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 22 Aug 2008, 06:43 pm »
Hi ED,

james

As long as it don't spank my Northstar M192 to bad  :lol: that I'm taking Ill be glad to give my opinion

ED

mcullinan

« Reply #47 on: 22 Aug 2008, 07:04 pm »
Hi ED,

james

As long as it don't spank my Northstar M192 to bad  :lol: that I'm taking Ill be glad to give my opinion

ED
Ed,
You better bring someone along to help you mourn.
 aa
Mike

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #48 on: 22 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm »

looking at the inside pics- less is more in this case! :thumb:

al.

mcullinan

« Reply #49 on: 22 Aug 2008, 11:10 pm »

All that space is the air-based dialectric making it sound so good!

ecramer

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 25 Aug 2008, 06:06 am »
Thanks Mike for bringing you dac. Nice piece of equipment Bryston certainly has a winner here!!!  :thumb: Beautiful dark back round and the music simply flowed from this dac. I in joyed it very much. Versatile is an understatement with all the input options This should be on anyones short list thats looking for a DAC

Ed

BobM

« Reply #51 on: 30 Aug 2008, 01:43 pm »
Well, Mike came naked to my place last night ... shudder ... uh, I mean he brought his naked DAC to my place last night. We played quite a bit of music and A/B'ed the new Bryston against my highly modded Zhaolu. I've got to say the differences were subtle (but then I can say that about most digital these days, and the devil IS in the details ***).

Overall the Bryston felt and sounded smoother. The Zhaolu was a bit more sharp on the top end. Both had plenty of details, air and extension, it's just that the Bryston held it togeht a bit better. Probably the difference between an op-amp based analogue stage (Zhaolu) and a discrete output stage (Bryston), I'm thinking.

Both had decent, tight bass, but I already know the Zhaolu is a wee bit lighter than I like. The Bryston filled in that gap very nicely.

Nicely done guys. I like this DAC a lot.

Bob

*** my impression is that the difference between average digital and exceptional digital is very small these days. There's been so much trickle down that even inexpensive players sound very good. However, as audiophiles we're trained to look at subtelties and call them vast improvements, worthy of exceptionally high price tags. It's nice to see a fairly prices DAC that brings out these nuances so well and should compete very well against some of the stratosphericly priced components out there calling themselves state of the are.